BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

So I am considering going FBO with a turbo upgrade in the spring.
I am only really considering Pure turbos, so I am not looking for advice or input on brands, but I have some questions regarding Stage 1 vs Stage 2, preferably from anyone who has driven both.

A few things before we start:
- I have an N55
- I am not interested in meth at all or E-blend fuels - I am lookin for a "set-it-and-forget-it" experience
- I will be running completely on 93 octane pump gas and no more (see above)
- I don't track - this is a 99% street car (maybe 1-2 HPDE events a year), so bear in mind that use case.
- It will be supported by a custom tune from either MHD/Twisted or PTF.
- I am looking for around 400-425 whp, but really an emphasis on torque moreso than HP

I am not necessarily interested in squeezing out every last possible HP, but rather my goal is just more power, but in a stock-plus fashion.
Therefore, and since my driving is all street, lower end response and turbo spool time is important. Sure, there's always the option to downshift, but almost all of my driving will be under 80 mph, with occasional excursions above that.

My question is this: is there a substantial/noticeable difference in spool time between Pure S1 and S2 (I assume there is, because physics), and if yes, is S1 more appropriate for my planned driving use case?

I know most people say "just get S2", but there is a tradeoff (besides the extra $1500), and I wonder given that I won't be running meth or E-blends and my rather modest power goals, is S1 the better choice for me?

Input appreciated, especially if anybody has driven both and experienced the difference.

Last edited by Cavpilot2k; 10-26-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Definitely get the ps2 given your goals. A PS1 will not hold 400whp to redline. It will peak 400whp at around 5200rpm just like stock turbo and fall off to 350-360whp.

A PS2 will make 430whp at redline on 93 aki and it will do so withoit needing to overspin it.
Appreciate 4
      10-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

I have no experience with the PS1, but going from stock to PS2 I can tell you that I did not notice any negitive side effects as far as spool, it’s not that noticeable of a difference.

I have pretty much the setup you are looking to do (93oct) and I would highly recommend going with MHD and getting a Wedge tune. I had nightmares with another popular MHD tuner on here, where after about 15 revisions the car was still going into limp mode. (It was 3 days between sending logs and getting a revision to boot). I gave up and went with wedge, and Ken had the car running perfectly after 3 or 4 revisions of his tune.
Appreciate 2
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      10-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
I have no experience with the PS1, but going from stock to PS2 I can tell you that I did not notice any negitive side effects as far as spool, it’s not that noticeable of a difference.

I have pretty much the setup you are looking to do (93oct) and I would highly recommend going with MHD and getting a Wedge tune. I had nightmares with another popular MHD tuner on here, where after about 15 revisions the car was still going into limp mode. (It was 3 days between sending logs and getting a revision to boot). I gave up and went with wedge, and Ken had the car running perfectly after 3 or 4 revisions of his tune.
Hi! How much boost are you running on 93 octane? I'm in the process with Ken,doing e30 map right now but when I'm done I wanna do another map for 93 octane. Just wondering how is it on 93 octane.
If you can share a log with 93 octane map would be great.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #5
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
So I am considering going FBO with a turbo upgrade in the spring.
I am only really considering Pure turbos, so I am not looking for advice or input on brands, but I have some questions regarding Stage 1 vs Stage 2, preferably from anyone who has driven both.

A few things before we start:
- I have an N55
- I am not interested in meth at all or E-blend fuels - I am lookin for a "set-it-and-forget-it" experience
- I will be running completely on 93 octane pump gas and no more (see above)
- I don't track - this is a 99% street car (maybe 1-2 HPDE events a year), so bear in mind that use case.
- It will be supported by a custom tune from either MHD/Twisted or PTF.
- I am looking for around 400-425 whp, but really an emphasis on torque moreso than HP

I am not necessarily interested in squeezing out every last possible HP, but rather my goal is just more power, but in a stock-plus fashion.
Therefore, and since my driving is all street, lower end response and turbo spool time is important. Sure, there's always the option to downshift, but almost all of my driving will be under 80 mph, with occasional excursions above that.

My question is this: is there a substantial/noticeable difference in spool time between Pure S1 and S2 (I assume there is, because physics), and if yes, is S1 more appropriate for my planned driving use case?

I know most people say "just get S2", but there is a tradeoff (besides the extra $1500), and I wonder given that I won't be running meth or E-blends and my rather modest power goals, is S1 the better choice for me?

Input appreciated, especially if anybody has driven both and experienced the difference.
I also don't have any experience with PS1 but I have PS2 and it's great. I would recommend PS2 because I know for sure once you install PS1 you'll immediately would want more.
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1023.00