BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
B25 Jim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
You receive 14 days of Insurance for free, from that point on they list a price, and the list a price up to 6 months. There's nothing on the website saying you can't go past that however.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #24
wnta135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i

I believe that somewhere in the fine print it says that to qualify for ED the vehicle must be arrive in the US within 6 months of the original ED date.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #25
Rossmar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Insurance and Registration is included for 14 days, with options for 1,2,3 months. Insurance, Registration and road use tax are also available for 4,5,6 months. 6 months is $2336.

However if you're going to be there for more than 90 days in any given 6 month period, your visa will expire, so even though it's available, they don't make it easy. Although if I had the chance to drive my car around Europe for 6 months, I'd probably find permanent residence over there.
      07-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #26
imported_Shawn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta135 View Post
I believe that somewhere in the fine print it says that to qualify for ED the vehicle must be arrive in the US within 6 months of the original ED date.
I will have to look for that fine print. I was certain there would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossmar View Post
Insurance and Registration is included for 14 days, with options for 1,2,3 months. Insurance, Registration and road use tax are also available for 4,5,6 months. 6 months is $2336.

However if you're going to be there for more than 90 days in any given 6 month period, your visa will expire, so even though it's available, they don't make it easy. Although if I had the chance to drive my car around Europe for 6 months, I'd probably find permanent residence over there.
The question only revolved around how long a time BMW would accept and still deliver the vehicle. The visa is a completely separate and unrelated issue. Thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #27
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

The Schengen Treaty, which sets the max 90 day visa limit for non-EU citizen visitors, is administered at the national level (IOW by each country, separately and individually). So a Schengen extension is very easy to obtain in some EU countries while more difficult and expensive in others. E.g. when I was last in The Netherlands, they considered an extension for American citizens to be implicit in their USA citizenship - IOW it was cost-free and automatic. So...don't assume the 90 day visa limit is ironclad or non-extendable. But it can also get very complicated. In general, with no border controls, moving between countries when beyond the 90 day period is hassle free. But the problem may surface when you clear out of your last Schengen country (most likely a departing flight from a EU airport) and Passport Control sees you've overstayed your visit.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #28
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I think the only repercussion for having the car out there after the 6mo date (or whatever it is) is that you have to secure your own shipping back to the states.
      07-22-2008, 11:22 AM   #29
imported_Shawn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclee1 View Post
I think the only repercussion for having the car out there after the 6mo date (or whatever it is) is that you have to secure your own shipping back to the states.
Ok, now that I know 6 months is the limit for BMW shipping, I need to research the cost beyond that. Thanks to those who knew the 6-month fine print limit.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #30
Rossmar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

More details about delivery over 14 days:
If you are leasing or financing through BMW Financial Services, the limit of delivery is 90 days, according to delivery documents.
      07-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #31
drand
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Ok, now that I know 6 months is the limit for BMW shipping, I need to research the cost beyond that. Thanks to those who knew the 6-month fine print limit.
Search in the bimmerfest.com ED thread for more info. I seem to remember reading something about your having to pay VAT after 6 months, so plan on handing over close to 20% of the value of the car.
      07-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #32
Omega Man
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
It is 9% off of suggested retail. I broke my car in driving through the Alps. The roads and views are unbelievable. Having said that.
ED does cost you more. If you fly over, pick up your car, drop it off and just fly back you can save around $1500.(off season)
If you can afford it, I highly recommend doing ED. Amazing memories. I felt like I was in a survival race most of the time. If you are the worrying type, don't do it. The roads are very narrow. Bikes pass you all the time. Even in blind curves. Lots of bicycles and they have the right of way. I do not remember seeing any guardrails that were not scaped or dented. Very large busses come around blind corners directly at you. I love this shit. If you don't, don't do it. It gets really intense. I tell people that I survived ED. In all fairness, I spent a lot of my time driving mountain passes. Garmish and Munich were very relaxing. Walking around in the old parts of town and spending time at a sidewalk cafe letting the adrenalin die down.
I know I am rambling but I find it hard to put into words. I loved it and I will go back.
Dude, great post. It is indeed not for the meek. You have to be on your game. People on bikes running at you, crappy cars in big cities making f-ing wide turns into you, centrum driving that's totally different from anything in the USA, on and on. At one point when we were lost and stopped trying to wave down a cab (don't be cheap like me, get a european gps or maybe not, too easy the police pulled up and started giving me shit about my plates. I showed em the delivery paperwork and gave em straight answers. They were the best providers of directions the whole trip, no tickets, just help. Was told later that's a rarity.

You said you were into it. My friend was all laid back downing beers at every stop while I was in survival mode. God I was pissed at him for relaxing, not understanding the pressure of keeping your brand new ride in one piece. :roundel: Never forget it.
The black and red andrenaline rush has finally made it home from Sebastian Olszewski and the group at Mike Smith Beaumont. Got it right before the big storm hit, as in 36 hours before. So lucky. Anyway, these folks are a great dealership to do business with.
Ordered June 2008
ED July 2008
Stateside delivery September 2008
Appreciate 0