BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
HawkPilot128
Private
Rep
Drives:

does base hi-fi stereo have subwoofers?

I've placed my order, but as I'm sure most people do, I'm debating adding a few more options. I've searched and searched with out being able to find out if the base hi-fi stereo has subwoofers? Even if somebody has to go look under the seats of their car, I'd really like to know. And I guess I should ask, have people compared the two stereo options? Lets here some opinions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Yes it does - at least in the '08s. Two 8" subs under the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

I think it's important that you sample both the base and premium systems down at the dealer, if they have 1 series car left on the lot. Yes, the base system has 8" subs but they are useless since the factory amp is seriously underpowered. Turning up the bass adjustment to even a +10 does nothing to improve the sound.
      07-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Bimzz
Happy Member
Rep
Drives:

I know the base system has the subs under the seats. I haven't heard them though since I only get my car on Thursday
      07-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SMG 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa128 View Post
I think it's important that you sample both the base and premium systems down at the dealer, if they have 1 series car left on the lot. Yes, the base system has 8" subs but they are useless since the factory amp is seriously underpowered. Turning up the bass adjustment to even a +10 does nothing to improve the sound.
I wouldn't agree with that 100%. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they not only lack in power but in airspace too. I don't think they are useless though. They do round out the lower mid-range nicely with some solid punch, but they don't serve the purpose most of us look for with subs. One thing I can appreciate about the system though is that somewhere, whether in the head unit, amp, or on the subs, there is a filter keeping the real lows out of them. This at least keeps them operating in the frequency range they can work in rather than belching out distorted, crappy lows that they can't really drive. Adding a 10" or 12" in the trunk would round out the stock system pretty well I think. It's not earth-shattering quality, but it is passable overall, just not real bright up high or very deep down low.
      07-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I would have to agree with Mikead 99, the subs, and sound system as a whole is nothing impressive but it's better than I expected. I'm sure the premium system is eons better, but you'll have to decide if it's worth the extra cash. I had the HK premium stereo in my old E46 330xi, I think the standard 1er sounds better, clearer, less boomy. You can always upgrade later, I would imagine having the optical wiring in premium may play a larger role than speakers and amp.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I heard the base system and it's fine. The Premium hi-fi is what I ordered and I love it. Although, I finally got around to finding the Logic 7 selection to improve the sound. Have had the car 2 weeks now and had not much time to read the manual and figure out things. I thought the stereo sounded a little flat.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

I agree with what's being said. However, the fact that the OP was so curious to know if subs were under the seats by asking someone to look, led me to believe that he wanted more than just the fact that the low mid-range is rounded out nicely. As Mikead 99 stated, the subs do not serve the purpose most of us look for in subs. The base amp is underpowered, the subs sit in a small confined space and therefore, in my ears, the subs are rendered useless for what most of us look for in subs. Adjusting the bass to +10 only gives a stronger muted or muffled and crappy sound. The highs and mids are pretty good and could better. But the bass is anemic and hence, the base system overall is unbalanced.

The subs in the premium system also sit in the same confined space. So we can remove this variable when comparing the two systems. Yet on paper the subs have the potential to probably provide the OP something closer to what he might have in mind. I say potential because I have not heard the premium system so I cannot comment on its sound quality. I heard the premium amp, however, is somewhere around 300 watts with DSP. The subs themselves could be of a better build quality but I don't know.

I too, had the HK premium system in my E46 330i. However, I won't attempt to draw similarities between it and the 1er's premium system. That version of the HK is not offered in the 1er. Due to a different architecture the new premium system will have different strengths and weaknesses.

We have different listening tastes and to me the subs in the base system do not serve the purpose I and many others look for in subs. They do not sound smooth. They do not sound deep. They don't even come close to hitting hard. Hence, they are useless in that respect. The OP must somehow judge for himself by sampling both, if at all possible, realizing his location is in Iraq. If not, stay with the standard, save the money and upgrade with aftermarket stuff.
      07-30-2008, 03:15 AM   #9
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

i have no idea what the base one sounds like but i know that with the right tweaking of the amp, the premium has incredible bass. it's definitely worth it if you are good with/able to learn adjusting the different sound frequencies well.
i listen to a lot of different music but when i have the low frequencies and the bass setting cranked hip hop/rap sends vibrations through my(and any passenger's) body.
Appreciate 0