BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
vwrefugee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT

Battery Recall

Called to book an appointment for the first scheduled maintenance on my 2011 135i and they told me there's a recall for battery replacement. Anyone else hear about this?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
ILoveChess100
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i (DCT, Sport/PremPkg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrefugee View Post
Called to book an appointment for the first scheduled maintenance on my 2011 135i and they told me there's a recall for battery replacement. Anyone else hear about this?
I didn't hear about a recall, but my battery was very close to dying 3 days after I bought the car. Had it replaced by the dealer on the 2nd service:
1st service - they just 'recharged it' due to the low-battery warning light coming on, car had like 102 miles on it, 3 days after purchase lol...
2nd service - 607 miles (2.5 weeks of ownership) low battery warning again, they ran the battery through some midtronics tester, the battery failed the test indicating it couldn't store more than 29% of its capacity, and that prompted a battery replacement.

Irrelevant to your question, but I also had the DCT stall the car in reverse multiple times with only 35 miles on the car, later fixed through a software upgrade due to code red/black on transmission overheating. I also had a random service needed warning coming up sometimes and that was resolved after the 2nd service where they reprogrammed a bunch of CBS stuff. About 900 miles on the car now I am going to be bringing it in for a bad rattle that developed in the rear roof area (somewhere) as well as what seems to be a dying HPFP as my cranks are getting progressively longer. Oh and sometimes the CD player would spit out the CD whenever it feels like it, but I just switched to playing music off of USB flash drive and won't even bother to request the CD thing fixed - afraid of what else might break. This car is getting sold at 49k miles or 3.9 yrs, whichever comes first :P
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrefugee View Post
Search for 'battery recall' under the Canada section. There is a thread on this. Essentially if you have a 70Ah battery they will switch it to a 90Ah.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
ILoveChess100
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i (DCT, Sport/PremPkg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Search for 'battery recall' under the Canada section. There is a thread on this. Essentially if you have a 70Ah battery they will switch it to a 90Ah.
Is this just for Canada or for the US as well? My 135i had a 60Ah battery in it (after the replacement, never bothered to look at the battery prior to the replacement).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveChess100 View Post
Is this just for Canada or for the US as well? My 135i had a 60Ah battery in it (after the replacement, never bothered to look at the battery prior to the replacement).
Sorry, do not know. Easiest thing is to call your dealer with your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Did they change the group size? It's going to change the rearside weight a good bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveChess100 View Post
The recall is only for Canada.

IF you live in a cold climate - I would opt for the 90Ah battery ($400+ with coding) when its time for a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The recall is only for Canada.

IF you live in a cold climate - I would opt for the 90Ah battery ($400+ with coding) when its time for a new battery.

I just got a phone call from my dealer, that my car, an 11 135i has a recall. Didn't say why.

What's the deal with coding??!? Even a good agm group 49 battery shouldn't be more than $150US.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
I just got a phone call from my dealer, that my car, an 11 135i has a recall. Didn't say why.

What's the deal with coding??!? Even a good agm group 49 battery shouldn't be more than $150US.

When ever you replace a BMW (AGM battery... you MUST have coding done. This is to tell your car that it has a new battery and what Ah it is. Without doing so... you risk exploding your battery or pyrotechnic bettery cables. Just do a search on the e90 forum to find out why. There was a guy who did not think he needed coding.. until his battery blew up in his car! lol
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Well I sure appreciate the info... It's news to me. Kind of crazy to have to pay an hour of labor each battery swap-out.

Charging at different effective rates can effect life and potential for thermal runaway, but at the same time, it would be nice to be a simplified code.

Could this be coded with one of the available BMW obd scan setup?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Well I sure appreciate the info... It's news to me. Kind of crazy to have to pay an hour of labor each battery swap-out.

Charging at different effective rates can effect life and potential for thermal runaway, but at the same time, it would be nice to be a simplified code.

Could this be coded with one of the available BMW obd scan setup?

I think the Bav Tech scan tool could do the coding. I am not 100% sure though. I just ordered myself a BT cable... so I will be playing around with that soon.

Here is the thread I was referring too...

Battery exploded in my trunk; Please read so this doesn't happen to your E9X.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ttery+exploded
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Interesting. I read through 18 pages there and another 5 linked.

Seems that the OP on there installed the wrong battery, but the battery DID NOT explode. It was the electronics module mounted on top of the battery.

This means that something was wrong, but it may have been user error as much as anything else.

"programming" and "registration" mean two different things and it is not clearly defined there, Ive asked for clarification. It is interesting, in that the charge profiles can be tailored based upon type of battery and capacity (much like many of the smart chargers you can buy today have tailorable options).

The programming/registration is NOT an AGM only thing it appears. It is a matter for all batteries (they probably assume some impedance change with time and use it to effect the charging rates and voltages a bit).

It would be nice if this could be simply done through user-accessible means. Despite lots of griping on the linked thread, this IS a smart way to go and helps effect the total energy within the battery as well as its longevity and performance. But it stinks to have to buy a $$$ scan tool (which doesnt seem to have all the options), or go to the dealer for an hour of labor.

Are we REALLY sure that this registration/programming issue has been invoked on the E8x?
Appreciate 0