BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #23
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe (T. Silver)

Does the battery need to be re-registered when the IBS is replaced?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #24
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sin View Post
I recently bought a BAFX OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tool, I was wondering if that would work. It seems to connect through the Carly Lite app. I just want the Carly App to register battery only. I think its absurd to have to spend so damn much for the app and adapter then having to pay to register the battery. Thanks in advance to anyone who has this answer.
Did you try to register your battery with this OBD II tool? I would hate to buy the $83 adapter, when Amazon sells similar adapters for around $20.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #25
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Can a battery be coded using INPA or something similar ? I'm reluctant to shell out for yet more coding software.....
      05-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #26
leeon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Thank you for this guide. Very helpful.
I was able to find a unused battery on offerup and my total replacement
cost was about $230
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #27
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeon View Post
Thank you for this guide. Very helpful.
I was able to find a unused battery on offerup and my total replacement
cost was about $230
Well done glad it worked out for you!
      05-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #28
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

As a side note it seems like Carly is now charging an annual subscription fee ($60?) rather than a one-time upfront app cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #29
bnd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88, N55 135i DCT

I have Carly and just purchased a used 2011 135 from a lot, is there a way to verify battery registration?
      05-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #30
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnd View Post
I have Carly and just purchased a used 2011 135 from a lot, is there a way to verify battery registration?
I believe you can see the reg date and how many miles are listed on the current battery when you go into the battery module within Carly. A 2011 is likely on the original battery still. General opinion on this is; if it ain't broke don't fuck with it. If you're not having any issues, don't start messing with the settings.
      05-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #31
bnd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88, N55 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
I believe you can see the reg date and how many miles are listed on the current battery when you go into the battery module within Carly. A 2011 is likely on the original battery still. General opinion on this is; if it ain't broke don't fuck with it. If you're not having any issues, don't start messing with the settings.
Great, appreciate the feedback! I have a tendency to tinker, but my concern was due to purchashing from a small lot that said battery was replaced. It's a BMW battery, so it's either original or was replaced and probably coded correctly. Haven't had any electrical issues so far...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #32
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnd View Post
Great, appreciate the feedback! I have a tendency to tinker, but my concern was due to purchashing from a small lot that said battery was replaced. It's a BMW battery, so it's either original or was replaced and probably coded correctly. Haven't had any electrical issues so far...
Ok yeah I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a BMW battery chances are it was done at a dealership or the used car lot is BS'ing and the battery was never messed with.
      02-26-2019, 06:43 PM   #33
jamespaoli
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Hey folks,

Ive just purchased a new battery OEM from BMW matching my current failed battery specs. Upon installing it i am attemping to register it but carly shows
"Battery registration unsuccessful"

Ive tried restarting all apps, bluetooth, wifi, and ive tried to register it manually and automatically via the app however it always fails

Anyone have this issue? Is there any easy alternative to register this new battery?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #34
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespaoli View Post
Hey folks,

Ive just purchased a new battery OEM from BMW matching my current failed battery specs. Upon installing it i am attemping to register it but carly shows

Ive tried restarting all apps, bluetooth, wifi, and ive tried to register it manually and automatically via the app however it always fails

Anyone have this issue? Is there any easy alternative to register this new battery?
Have not seen this before, are you sure you have the right car series and battery info selected?
      03-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #35
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have not seen this before, are you sure you have the right car series and battery info selected?
Hey Matticus thanks for reply, ill grab some screen shots tomorrow.
So once I connect my carly(its the GEN 2 wifi adapter) it automatically populates for E82, i choose connect, it connects successfully, then i go to battery, i choose read data, it reads it successfully, then i choose register, and it fails every time
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #36
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So once I connect my carly(its the GEN 2 wifi adapter) it automatically populates for E82, i choose connect, it connects successfully, then i go to battery, i choose read data, it reads it successfully, then i choose register, and it fails every time
Ok will need to check myself too and see if there's anything else you need to do. In the meantime post the screenshots and send a message to carly support they're actually very good customer service usually
      03-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #37
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok will need to check myself too and see if there's anything else you need to do. In the meantime post the screenshots and send a message to carly support they're actually very good customer service usually

Heres some photos, and ill send a message on to carly support.
P.S - Worth notin i have tried to lower the rate and speed in my settings, disconnect blueooth, reconnect everything, try it with engine running(it says to even though some point it says not to)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #38
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXE82 View Post
Great write up. Do you not have to wait for the car to go to sleep before disconnecting the battery? Seems like that was an important step on my E39.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Good job.

I'm bookmarking this for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXE82 View Post
Great write up. Do you not have to wait for the car to go to sleep before disconnecting the battery? Seems like that was an important step on my E39.
Honestly I've never done this, and neither has anyone else that I know of. That said it can't hurt to be extra cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
This should be a sticky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Quote:
Do you not have to wait for the car to go to sleep before disconnecting the battery?
Yes, definitely, unless you want to frizazzle one of your ecu's...

ianc
How do you wait for it to go to sleep with the trunk open? My trunk light & headlights seem to stay on with the trunk open?

Bought a Duralast battery at Autozone. H8-AGM. 900 CCA, 95 AH. It was $199 but got $20 off "managers discount" (ask & ur shall receive).

It's bigger than the H6-BMW flooded acid battery it replaced (which was 640 & 80 AH). It fit and filled the entire space. Followed the directions, installed it easy.

Coded using Carly, connect, read battery info, choices are 80, 90 or 105... hmmm.... Carly says choose the next below the AH rating. Select 90, Register & done.

I didn't bother waiting until the car went to sleep. It worked & nothing terrible happened so that's good.

The only strange thing is that Carly didn't charge me anything to Register the battery. I'm one of the legacy purchasers who got in on the one-time charge for the app vs. now with the annual fee. But I thought registering the battery was still an added charge but it let me do it without a fee so I guess that's good.

Hopefully that stops my S-L-O-W crank issue. We'll see tomorrow.

Thanks Matticus91 great DIY write up.
      05-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #39
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
How do you wait for it to go to sleep with the trunk open? My trunk light & headlights seem to stay on with the trunk open?

Bought a Duralast battery at Autozone. H8-AGM. 900 CCA, 95 AH. It was $199 but got $20 off "managers discount" (ask & ur shall receive).

It's bigger than the H6-BMW flooded acid battery it replaced (which was 640 & 80 AH). It fit and filled the entire space. Followed the directions, installed it easy.

Coded using Carly, connect, read battery info, choices are 80, 90 or 105... hmmm.... Carly says choose the next below the AH rating. Select 90, Register & done.

I didn't bother waiting until the car went to sleep. It worked & nothing terrible happened so that's good.

The only strange thing is that Carly didn't charge me anything to Register the battery. I'm one of the legacy purchasers who got in on the one-time charge for the app vs. now with the annual fee. But I thought registering the battery was still an added charge but it let me do it without a fee so I guess that's good.

Hopefully that stops my S-L-O-W crank issue. We'll see tomorrow.

Thanks Matticus91 great DIY write up.

That slow crank can be the starter too. BTDT.

I was an early Carly purchaser too. Good stuff and they did right by making us lifers!!!

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1538.50
      05-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #40
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post

That slow crank can be the starter too. BTDT.

I was an early Carly purchaser too. Good stuff and they did right by making us lifers!!!
Yep, that very well may be next up.

I noticed the slow crank starting a while back. I checked the battery in Jan and the voltage was a bit low. I've been charging it every now and then but figured it was time to change it out. The new one in, now it starts like it used to —> push button = vroom!

The battery was from 2015. I was hoping to get a bit more than 4 years life out of it. It was the standard BMW H6 640/80AH which isn't that big a battery and in the heat here batteries don't last as long in general. 4-6 years is typical from what I understand.

And yes Carly did right to grandfather in the legacy purchasers.
      10-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #41
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

I programmed my Duralast Gold H8-DLG battery recently. It's 80 Ah (had to email support for the capacity). It's made by Johnson Controls a 3 year total replacement + 2 year prorated warranty. The H8 fits the largest stock mounting point. It's a bit of a bitch to get the bracket installed.

Just dropping this here for anyone else looking for that info as it's not online or on the battery.

Quote:
Hey folks,

Quote:
Obviously way late to respond to you, but for others, registration only worked for me with engine off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Yep, that very well may be next up.

I noticed the slow crank starting a while back. I checked the battery in Jan and the voltage was a bit low. I've been charging it every now and then but figured it was time to change it out. The new one in, now it starts like it used to —> push button = vroom!

The battery was from 2015. I was hoping to get a bit more than 4 years life out of it. It was the standard BMW H6 640/80AH which isn't that big a battery and in the heat here batteries don't last as long in general. 4-6 years is typical from what I understand.

And yes Carly did right to grandfather in the legacy purchasers.
My slow crank turned into a no start in 3-4 days. I had been moving the car around the driveway and street to accommodate working on my Jeep and my GF's car so I thought I just drained it while starting and turning it off several times. The new battery helped a lot of stuff that you wouldn't think. The remote range is vastly increased. I think my HVAC blower speed is more consistent now too.
      10-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #42
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed on the sizing, H6, H7 and H8 all fit, there is a spot for the bracket regardless of which of those you go with. H8 is the largest and will just barely fit. You will have to be creative and maybe want to have a magnet handy to be able to maneuver things in place.

I ended up going with an H7 because I added an amp to the car for a sub and the H8 would need to be in the same spot I already had a fuse holder. But any of those will fit.
Appreciate 0