BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #23
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'm calling a base-base (as in, not even including the $775 dest charge) of right around $32,500.

If you look at BMW's pricing. Base-base on a 535i is $49,400. 335i is $40,800, and Mini S is $21,850.

The difference of 40,800 and 21,850 is $18,950, divided in two you get 9,475, making the median between the two $31,325. Skew it up a little bit to take into account the 1 series is a BMW badged vehicle and thats how I arrived at my price.

I don't think thats an unreasonably low estimate. Add in delivery and you're up to $33,275 right away, and you can bet many people will be tacking on $4-5,000 in options no problem (not like it's that hard). So you can start to see what I think nicely optioned 135i will really cost, plus tax, title and licensing of course. (Luckily Oregon doesn't have sales tax)

Not a cheap car by most people's standards, but we'll see how the real pricing looks soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #24
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyusc View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The base is going to be very close to 30K. I wouldn't be surprised with a 30.5K base. This car will need to compete with A1S in the future (which is relatively the same size), and leave room for a reasonably priced convertible. Moreover, the base won't be higher than a 328i, which is in the low 32's. Having spoken with my local dealership about ordering a 135i in the next few months, it is quite possible that a reasonably equipped 135i will be in the 35K range/w options, etc. You can probably ballpark down a few grand from that price, helping to cover licensing fees, etc. Considering the looks of the interior, this car is going to provide the possibility for a 35K price tag, given its lack of luxury (which I don't mind). But if you add a bunch of options, I think you're exactly right on the >35K price tag. But given that BMW has released pictures of the interior w/out nice wood finish, etc, it doesn't appear that this model is being marketed with the same emphasis on luxury as the other BMW models (looks closer to STI interior quality) hinting at a reasonable price tag. My guess is 35K for a low/reasonably equipped 135i, and into the low 40's if you go after the premium package, automatic, weather package, Nav. etc. This 35K w/basic-low options will give those who want more luxury the means to add additional options, w/out exceeding the low 40's. Remember also, we have to leave room for a reasonably priced 1 convertible with/options as well. As such, the price for a basic 135i/w basic-low options should be around 35K, given the price of the 3 series, and the economics of selling fully optioned 135i's and 135i convertibles.
Some people are finally getting it!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
joeyusc
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Honda Accord pricing is irrelevant. We're talking apples and oranges.The Accord is a big, dull FWD car. The 1 is a small, sporty RWD car. BMW is a luxury brand. Honda isn't.
Thank you for making my exact point on the issue of luxury. Indeed, BMW is a luxury brand, and Honda isn't. I don't disagree with you at all. With this said, why than do you think the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe/wNav, from the objective viewer, appears internally more luxurious than the 135i interior (pics released by BMW)?????? If you look at the interior pictures released by BMW of the 3 series and above, the Accord doesn't objectively appear nearly as luxurious as those models. What makes this 1 series different from the other BMW models? Why is the 1 series the only model that appears less luxurious than the Accord in officially released photos!?. What do you think this clear lack of luxury, relatively speaking, indicates with respect to pricing? I will let you think about this one.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #26
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyusc View Post
Why is the 1 series the only model that appears less luxurious than the Accord in officially released photos!?. What do you think this clear lack of luxury, relatively speaking, indicates with respect to pricing? I will let you think about this one.
Okay, I've thought about it, and I'm still expecting the 135i to start at around $35K. :biggrin: It doesn't matter that the 1er doesn't have a particularly "luxurious" interior. It's a BMW-branded vehicle with a no-compromises BMW powertrain; it's made in Germany; and the U.S. dollar is pathetically weak against the Euro. Get ready to pay through the nose.
Appreciate 0