BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #331
berns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Do you have any strategies to help improve the front-rear weight distribution? 54F is pretty rough, I am wondering if you have any "easy" weight loss still available - windshield washer fluid system, A/C, etc?

I do love that bodywork though, damn I wish the stars had aligned to widebody my 1er.

-Mark
54f is really not too bad.. Adding downforce to the front will be helpful too, have to remember that. It's a bummer these cars, nor the 1M, didn't come with carbon crash beams like the real M cars. I've already saved some weight by removed the VRSF IC, but I wish the stock IC was up for the task because it only weighs 8lbs!

I'm not ready to remove AC and I don't think I ever will, until this become a dedicated race car and I own a trailer, and that's a ways out. I have the washer reservoir in there with the tiny pump, removed the headlight washer plumbing and pump, and it has no fluid in it. Not much else I can do for now other than run the stock battery to bring some weight back to the rear.

Meanwhile, jetlag is killing me, so I went for a drive last night and snapped this at 4am. Battery died, ironically in front of a weed dispensary that wasn't even open yet.

09-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #332
st-pierre
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i N55

Car looks insane !
I didn't see the APR splitter installed yet any issues?
Did you do the cowl filters to save a little more weight up front?
Hows the engine temps you mentioned changing thermostat?

Was also wondering are you running meth ?

Last edited by st-pierre; 09-09-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #333
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hi Berns, are you monitoring oil pressure? if so, how?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #334
berns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-pierre View Post
Car looks insane !
I didn't see the APR splitter installed yet any issues?
Did you do the cowl filters to save a little more weight up front?
Hows the engine temps you mentioned changing thermostat?

Was also wondering are you running meth ?
Thanks dude! APR splitter is here but I haven't had the time to install it properly and it's not something I want to half-ass... As parts flying off at 140mph is not cool. I definitely need it with the wing on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDog View Post
Hi Berns, are you monitoring oil pressure? if so, how?
Not monitoring oil pressure but having a big oil problem at the moment. Thinking my turbos are dying... All of this came out of my blow off valve at the track this weekend.

09-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #335
austinaslink
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post

Not monitoring oil pressure but having a big oil problem at the moment. Thinking my turbos are dying... All of this came out of my blow off valve at the track this weekend.

Just looks like an excuse to upgrade your turbos! Any idea what you would go with if you confirm they're toast?

- Austin
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #336
berns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaslink View Post
Just looks like an excuse to upgrade your turbos! Any idea what you would go with if you confirm they're toast?

- Austin
Yeah, I'm between the CES Motorsport T4 twin scroll kit, the DBV2 v-band single scroll tubular bottom mount kit, and upgraded twins from Omar at Hydra Performance. They all have their pros.

As much as I LOVE the power delivery and response from the OEM twins, and honestly, the car is PERFECT as it is on an E40 track tune from Wedge, I really want to simplify the engine bay and have a forced induction setup that is more serviceable. The Hydra twins would be amazing, but I'll still need to run all of these inlets and so on, and while I believe they're the best option out there, I really don't want to deal with ever removing them or having issues.

The CES kit is gorgeous and extremely well thought out. It's a log manifold, which is great for a compact package, it's CNC machined and it's a T4 Twin Scroll flange, which is ideal for spool and transient response. It is definitely a pricey option, but similarly priced to the DBV2 kit.

The DBV2 kit offers some amazing things too. It's still a bottom mount design, only longer equal length runners, tubular and V-band everything. That part is super appealing to me, because it makes this a very easy kit to service if I have any turbo issues or want to change hotsides, etc...

As for power goals, they are quite low. Most important thing to me is to keep this thing cool, which means low boost. Obviously want to keep it reliable and keep it simple, too, which means no PI, no overdriven HPFP, no piggybacks. I'll likely set the first tune around 450whp and do a 500whp tune as well. A track like Big Willow, Laguna and CCW1 Buttonwillow would be good with big power, but the other tight tracks will be better around 400-450.

What I can say, is Omar from Hydra Performance, John from CES and John from DBV2 are all AWESOME dudes. I've chatted with them each on and off for months and would realistically be happy with either setup on my car.

Which way I'll lean will be decided soon... Sooner than I'd hoped, honestly, because all I want right now is seat time!

I'll do a full writeup on my adventure to Buttonwillow shortly, but let me tell you, the MCS 2ways are a game changer. I never knew suspension could feel this good.