BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #23
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Is anyone going to try and swap the 1M springs and dampers onto their 135i? anyone know if they will fit?
The rear springs and dampers will fit as long as you convert over to the M3 rear lower camber links.

The front we will have to wait and see, some sources say the 1-series M uses the M3 wheel carriers, others say it's simply the 135i style wheel carriers. Can anyone come up with a photo to show me?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #24
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Courtesy of Tuned1 the above picture is taken ~parallel to the tire wall towards the front wheel hub. Not sure if it allows you to conclude on fitment, but it's the closest to what you ask available on BF at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #25
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Courtesy of Tuned1 the above picture is taken ~parallel to the tire wall towards the front wheel hub. Not sure if it allows you to conclude on fitment, but it's the closest to what you ask available on BF at the moment.
Very M3 like.

So to the OP, the M3 fronts struts will work only if you were to install M3 wheel carriers as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #26
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

[QUOTE=HP Autowerks;9378063]Very M3 like.

So to the OP, the M3 fronts struts will work only if you were to install M3 wheel carriers as well.[/QUOTE

how much are the carriers?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #27
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=crex;9386993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Very M3 like.

So to the OP, the M3 fronts struts will work only if you were to install M3 wheel carriers as well.[/QUOTE

how much are the carriers?
If you use the M3/1-series M wheel carriers, you will most likely have to buy the brakes as well along with M3 anti roll bar endlinks. That is really a lot of trouble to go through have small gain in performance.

M3 control arm conversion kit and a good set of coilovers will net you much better results.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
That would however be nonsense in English. Either it is exactly the same or it isn't. As we know it isn't, the word exactly cannot be used. It's like saying something is "fairly unique".
True.

I'm asking what are the differences that make the 1M, compared to the M3, other than just a 3" shorter chassis and susp tuning?

I think the 1M is an excellent deal for a performance vehicle. Having this much M3 in it makes the deal even sweeter. I clearly admit that I didn't now the 1M has this much in common with the M3.
I was under the impression that the 1M was the 1 series chassis, everything except the body, only widened to give better handling and to accommodate the wider wheels/tires, along with some M3 parts to improve handling.
But the, with the M3 sub-frames, control bits, and steering, I can see why it's "essentially" the M3 chassis.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-17-2011 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #29
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
True.

I'm asking what are the differences that make the 1M, compared to the M3, other than just a 3" shorter chassis and susp tuning?

I think the 1M is an excellent deal for a performance vehicle. Having this much M3 in it makes the deal even sweeter. I clearly admit that I didn't now the 1M has this much in common with the M3.
I was under the impression that the 1M was the 1 series chassis, everything except the body, only widened to give better handling and to accommodate the wider wheels/tires, along with some M3 parts to improve handling.
But the, with the M3 sub-frames, control bits, and steering, I can see why it's "essentially" the M3 chassis.
Yes, it is basically a shorter wheel based M3.
Appreciate 0