BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #221
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornicar View Post
Hello,

i am into "constituing" a rear coilover set for my 125i:

- Main spring Eibach 7" Length ; 2,25" ID ; 650 Lb/inch rate ; PN : 0700.225.0650

- Tender Spring Eibach 2,68" Length ; 2,25" ID ; 300 Lb/inch rate ; PN : 0175.225.0300

- HPA Height Adjuster or another good quality one. I appreciate this one because you can fitting a thrust bearing to avoid stress in the spring

https://www.hpashop.com/HPA-E82-E9x-...st-e82-e9x.htm

I have one question:

Does anyone know where i can buying this ball joint coupler "sealed articulating spring perch" in 2,25 Diameter?

TY
I believe ground-control makes one that articulates
Appreciate 1
ornicar133.00
      12-26-2018, 03:41 AM   #222
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Thank you.

Yes i see it, i seems to be a quality product...by the way i didn't find some reviews of these products.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...eight-adjuster

Mechanicaly speaking i am asking what will happen in the main/helper linking?

During drop phases i am not sure that the helper will have enough "force" to re-aligned the main spring.

See Fe1rx Graph.

That is why the Orb ball joint which is located between Main & Helper seems better to me (i am not sure by the way).

If the GC articulating perche is really smooth (-->low friction, so force to moove it) i think it will be OK.

Is it a nylon ball joint?

otherwise these GC articulating perches may not be compatible with helpers?

For more compliance i really wanted to use helpers, so that is why i ask many questions

& Sorry for my poor english speaking, it is not easy to explain mechanical topics , and it is more difficult when it is not in his first language.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #223
I am Jacks N54
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
REAR SUSPENSION
1) Installed a 20 mm H&M rear anti-roll bar.
2) Installed TRW upper arm and guide arm.
3) Installed custom rear toe arm.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1079383&page=2

4) Installed Powerflex upper shock mount.
5) Changed my rear springs from Swift 120 N/mm to 140 N/mm.

FRONT SUSPENSION
1) Installed custom built camber plates and shock spacers to adjust ride height and reduce spring preload (documented earlier in this thread).
2) Installed new Swift Z65-176-060 (60N/mm) front springs to replace last-year's springs, which had been coil bound and had lost some of their original height.
fe1rx, thank you for this thread. I've read it start-to-finish 3 times now and learn something new each time. A bit of a shame it took a dive at the end with the posturing, but I still find it to be an incredible resource.

I was curious about your rear spring rate move up from 120 N/mm to 140 N/mm along with the increase to 20mm rear sway bar. Seems like a big jump. Would you mind sharing the results and thoughts behind that?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #224
I am Jacks N54
Rep

I'll take that as a no.

That rear suspension pivot angle is crazy! Looking at these two products to reel it in

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...e9x-spherical/

https://www.hypercoils.com/perches/
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:41 PM   #225
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Jacks N54 View Post
fe1rxI was curious about your rear spring rate move up from 120 N/mm to 140 N/mm along with the increase to 20mm rear sway bar. Seems like a big jump. Would you mind sharing the results and thoughts behind that?
I was running OE front and rear bars with 60 N/mm front springs and 120 N/mm rear springs and wanted a bit more roll stiffness so that the car took a set faster. I also wanted move the limit handling a bit more towards neutral so I threw all the additional stiffness at the rear.

I found the car still easy to drive (nannies off) at the limit with the stiffer rear springs and rear bar so don't feel I have overdone things. That said, the stiff rear bar won't work well without an LSD (although adding a stiff front bar as well might make it ok - I just don't think the car needs more total roll stiffness than I currently have).

My comments are based on the car's primary function being as a track car.

I have recently gone to spherical bearings at every suspension joint, plus solid rear subframe bushings. I won't have a chance to track the car in that configuration until the Spring, so can't offer any opinion about those changes yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #226
fe1rx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Jacks N54 View Post
I'll take that as a no.

That rear suspension pivot angle is crazy! Looking at these two products to reel it in

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...e9x-spherical/

https://www.hypercoils.com/perches/
I am not sure that the hypercoil perches will accommodate the degree of articulation that occurs at the rear springs. These perches appear to be designed for a true coil-over application where there is less angular misalignment.

The lower shock mounts can't hurt for a track only car but will likely increase NVH in a street driven car. I presume the only motivation is to get rid of some of the bending in the rear shock. Personally I don't see a lot of benefit. Although there is a fair bit of articulation at the strut attachment, the OE mount seems to be able to deal with it without too much bending moment being passed into the shock (in my opinion).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #227
I am Jacks N54
Rep

fe1rx thank you for responding. This is all great information - answers exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Your assumption is correct on reducing rear bending. I looked around and found Turner offers something similar, but with a reported minimal NVH increase https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...r-shock-mount/. I'll likely go with those and use your spring rates to get me towards a livable dual-duty compromise.

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
fe1rx1390.00
      01-19-2020, 12:12 AM   #228
maxslug
Custom User Title Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT, 2014 E84 X1

Fantastic amount of engineering and sharing in this thread fe1rx ! Best technical write-up I've ever seen on a forum. Thank you.
fe1rx1390.00
      02-28-2021, 10:13 PM   #229
fe1rx
Captain
Rep

Spring 2021 Update

Since I installed the MI00 Ohlins kit in 2014, I have been happy with how it has performed. If you have followed this thread you know I never installed it as Ohlins designed (it for the 3-series platform). It is gratifying that many of the changes I made have appeared in the MI01 kit Ohlins eventually came out with for the 1-series.

I am not saying that they were watching what I was up to, just that their decisions for the 1-series have largely validated my own. An obvious issue for those of us with MI00 rear dampers and 120 N/mm springs (or thereabouts) is that our dampers, having been valved for 70 N/mm springs, are not really valved properly for the rear springs we have installed. A couple more clicks works for us, but it isn’t really optimal. I have noticed that my rears tend to jack down over bumps, which tells me that the MI00 rebound damping is too high relative to the compression damping for these springs.

While it was my intention to investigate this on the track with the newly installed damper potentiometers I have documented elsewhere, a bit of ham-fistedness on my part resulted in one of my rear damper needle valves getting stuck. Thankfully Barry at 3DM Suspension is a master of all things Ohlins, and he was able to free up the valve. As that requires a full disassembly, revalving the rears to the MI01 spec made sense at the same time. Barry sent me the shock dyno comparison between the MI00 and MI01 which confirmed that while the rebound damping is similar the compression damping is significantly higher on the MI01.

We also discussed the issue of rear droop travel with these dampers, when using stiffer springs. Particularly when spherical bearings are installed in the rear, stiffer springs are likely to become loose at full droop, which can be very dangerous. I reduced my rear droop travel by 25mm with a custom machined part installed at the upper mount to fix this. The MI01 kit takes care of this problem by reducing the damper shaft length by 25 mm. Barry can provide an even neater solution to this problem for MI00 users by installing droop limiters inside the damper. I didn’t get him to do this on mine, as I already have a solution in hand, but I would suggest this to any other MI00 user who is getting their rear dampers revalved or rebuilt.

I will report back when I get some meaningful damper potentiometer data for what is now very close to the MI01 configuration.
Appreciate 8
houtan701.00
spidertri394.50
Suprgnat2281.00
asbrr540.50
Fishee969.00
ornicar133.00
      01-10-2022, 05:38 PM   #230
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i MSport

Fantastic read, thanks for the technical wizardry and information sharing.
Looking into suspension options now...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 02:06 PM   #231
ntuned
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46, E82, G87

fe1rx Do you manufacture the slip fit spacers you designed by chance?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 11:04 AM   #232
fe1rx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntuned View Post
fe1rx Do you manufacture the slip fit spacers you designed by chance?
PM sent
Appreciate 0