BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2015, 05:52 AM   #23
amyracecar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 '97 328is, E82 '11 128is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
My 08 has it, maybe they ditched it for LCI?

Regardless you can pop the latches on rear folding seats, then just lean in from the front, and pull the emergency trunk release inside.
You cannot pop the back seats down from the cabin.. the only manual release is IN the TRUNK..

so don't mess w/ the battery until you fold the seats down or you might not be able to get the trunk lid back open-
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
The 12V outlet doesn't receive power when the car is off. That's why you can't use one of those tenders (BMW makes one) that plug in to the cigarette lighter. You have to use the ones with the alligator clips that connect to the posts under the hood.

I use the "BMW Advanced Charging System." I think it's a re-branded Deltran, but it wasn't expensive. Got it from the dealer with a CCA discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
I have a question as I had battery problems with my e90 m3 and don't want a repeat with my 1er. Does key proximity have anything to do with battery drain? I noticed at the car wash that as I walked around with my key in my pocket washing the car I would notice my amber lights kept flashing. My battery actually died at their wash and I had to call a tow truck to jump me. The next day as I was going to get a new battery my car started just fine but I went and got a new battery anyways. I actually didn't expect it to start because it was completely dead the day before. I dunno?

Yes, key fob proximity does effect the car not going to sleep when locked. But in your car wash scenario it just sounds like your car battery was on its way out.

Normally with a sealed cell battery you can drain it(leave your lights or or what ever) once or maybe twice. More than that - your battery will be dead.

With a battery where you can add water to the "cells" you might get a few more total drains on that type of battery. But really IF your battery is older than five years, you are on borrowed time. You should replace the battery - sooner rather than later. Its only going to take one cold morning's cold start to kill the battery for good.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00
      01-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #25
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyracecar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
My 08 has it, maybe they ditched it for LCI?

Regardless you can pop the latches on rear folding seats, then just lean in from the front, and pull the emergency trunk release inside.
You cannot pop the back seats down from the cabin.. the only manual release is IN the TRUNK..

so don't mess w/ the battery until you fold the seats down or you might not be able to get the trunk lid back open-
Yes; pop the rear seats before closing the trunk, before disconnecting the battery.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #26
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

Excellent post! How do you fold the back seat on Convertibles?

My car sits all week (weekend sport car) and no issue so far. The car is a 2010, bought it 2 years ago under CPO until 100K miles.

I was at the dealer this weekend to replace a run flat (thanks god I purchased the tires warranty) and the service guy recommended a battery "thing" to save energy and life on the battery. So, thinking is a battery tenner?
      03-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #27
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

I'm sure it's a battery tender. Everyone uses those for their "only when its nice to drive" cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #28
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Some good discussion on this lately. See what happened to one listmember by reading the last few pages of http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...673104&page=78. There is also good information at http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101203.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #29
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
According the BMW service advisor, if you don't lock your doors, the car's electronics are in a low power idle for an extra 10-15 minutes, sucking the life out of your battery (which explains why you can still run the radio even with the fob removed)... That's never mentioned anywhere in the manual.
      03-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #30
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
According the BMW service advisor, if you don't lock your doors, the car's electronics are in a low power idle for an extra 10-15 minutes, sucking the life out of your battery (which explains why you can still run the radio even with the fob removed)... That's never mentioned anywhere in the manual.

thanks, amazes me how simply opening the passenger door when its unlocked primes the fuel pump...I mean why ?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:50 PM   #31
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossi1 View Post
thanks, amazes me how simply opening the passenger door when its unlocked primes the fuel pump...I mean why ?
Sometimes you gotta wonder what's the reasoning behind some these things... Seems like it's complexity for complexity's sake.

I still wonder who OK'd the elimination of the oil dipstick for an electronic one.
      03-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #32
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Sometimes you gotta wonder what's the reasoning behind some these things... Seems like it's complexity for complexity's sake.

I still wonder who OK'd the elimination of the oil dipstick for an electronic one.
Are you guys serious?

To answer the draw question I did a parasitic draw test on a 128i last week.

Immediately after starting the test: 0.69 amp draw
10 Minutes: 0.46A draw
20 minutes: 0.20A draw
30 minutes: No measurable amperage.

So the E82 does very well as far as going to sleep and putting load on the battery. These cars are WONDERFUL for battery life, but ignorant customers will continue to gripe about having to register their battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #33
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
These cars are WONDERFUL for battery life
Then how do you explain why my battery died in about three years time?

And as I've mentioned in other threads, the E36 that I owned for 18 years only had to have the battery replaced once.
      03-29-2015, 05:41 AM   #34
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
Are you guys serious?

To answer the draw question I did a parasitic draw test on a 128i last week.

Immediately after starting the test: 0.69 amp draw
10 Minutes: 0.46A draw
20 minutes: 0.20A draw
30 minutes: No measurable amperage.

So the E82 does very well as far as going to sleep and putting load on the battery. These cars are WONDERFUL for battery life, but ignorant customers will continue to gripe about having to register their battery.
Yes, actually... very serious. And quite far from ignorant. My issue is not with the car's power management, but rather with BMW's expectation that I visit my dealer and pay $600 and lose a day of my life for the privilege. I should be able to register a new battery easily and without additional expense (put this on the stalk).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #35
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

After having my 2012 135i for 31 months, 17595 mileage and driving it, at least, once a week, at least 100 miles my battery just died one day. The car, when not driven, sat in my garage, unlocked, with no doors, hood, truck open. After much effort was able to get it boost started and took it to the dealer. They replaced the battery and charged me $391.30. I objected to the charge but to no avail. I now keep it on the trickle charger sold by BMW.

I once parked, on blocks, a 325i for a year with the battery cables disconnected. When I returned I connected the battery and it started right up.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:48 PM   #36
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Saw this post at the Bimmerfest forum:

You can thank BMW and the EPA for shortened battery life. BMW programmed their "intelligent battery sensor" to disengage the alternator when the battery is less than fully charged. So if you drive several consecutive short trips (with the radio, A/C, and other power hungry conveniences on) your battery will discharge, your clock will reset, and your car may (or may not) have enough juice left to start the car. Disengaging the alternator puts less load on the engine and the car gets more EPA mileage. This in turn helps BMW sell more cars. Unfortunately the people they are selling the cars to might get stranded once in a while. The charging design will also have the effect of shortening the life of the battery.

In their typical fashion, BMW does not alert their drivers to this condition. Nor do they offer an intelligent battery sensor program that will charge the battery to 100% upon request (when the EPA mileage no longer is a sales issue).

EDIT: I just found that BMWNA is in litigation regarding batteries: http://www.law360.com/articles/61014...ated_content=1

Last edited by bmw1racer; 03-30-2015 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #37
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Interesting stuff. How does the alternator disengage? Is there a clutch? I don't believe there is, and the E90-93 Bentley makes very little mention of this (quick perusal)... but they do describe the Intelligent Battery Sensor in some detail (sort of... there is reasonable discussion of what gets measured, but little mention of how that data is used).

Also described in Bentley are items that reset if the battery is removed... but my experience with my car is considerably different (I didn't lose radio, window regulator, compass)... and so perhaps there's been an update since?

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/MORAN..._complaint.pdf

Last edited by mr.fabulous; 03-30-2015 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #38
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Interesting stuff. How does the alternator disengage? Is there a clutch? I don't believe there is, and the E90-93 Bentley makes very little mention of this (quick perusal)... but they do describe the Intelligent Battery Sensor in some detail (sort of... there is reasonable discussion of what gets measured, but little mention of how that data is used).

Also described in Bentley are items that reset if the battery is removed... but my experience with my car is considerably different (I didn't lose radio, window regulator, compass)... and so perhaps there's been an update since?
I reprogrammed my UltraGauge to monitor the battery voltage and when I'm driving the car I'm reading a pretty steady 14 volts, which means the alternator is charging the battery... And I don't see how the alternator gets disengaged.
      03-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #39
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I reprogrammed my UltraGauge to monitor the battery voltage and when I'm driving the car I'm reading a pretty steady 14 volts, which means the alternator is charging the battery.
Put your charger back on after a week or two and report what you find. I've had my Battery Tender running for three hours as I type this (been two weeks since I last did this), still red (charging).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #40
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
Put your charger back on after a week or two and report what you find. I've had my Battery Tender running for three hours as I type this (been two weeks since I last did this), still red (charging).
This past week I've attached my CTEK charger every day once I've got home and it takes about 2.5-3 hours to reach 100%.
      03-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #41
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Saw this post at the Bimmerfest forum:

You can thank BMW and the EPA for shortened battery life. BMW programmed their "intelligent battery sensor" to disengage the alternator when the battery is less than fully charged. So if you drive several consecutive short trips (with the radio, A/C, and other power hungry conveniences on) your battery will discharge, your clock will reset, and your car may (or may not) have enough juice left to start the car. Disengaging the alternator puts less load on the engine and the car gets more EPA mileage. This in turn helps BMW sell more cars. Unfortunately the people they are selling the cars to might get stranded once in a while. The charging design will also have the effect of shortening the life of the battery.

In their typical fashion, BMW does not alert their drivers to this condition. Nor do they offer an intelligent battery sensor program that will charge the battery to 100% upon request (when the EPA mileage no longer is a sales issue).

EDIT: I just found that BMWNA is in litigation regarding batteries: http://www.law360.com/articles/61014...ated_content=1
Clearly they don't understand the system and why the battery is never fully charged. It's also the reason the battery is gigantic. It's sized to give you the same necessary reserve and CCA at 80% charge as a normal sized battery at 100%.

Read the attached PDF. It explains it perfectly.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #42
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
Clearly they don't understand the system and why the battery is never fully charged. It's also the reason the battery is gigantic. It's sized to give you the same necessary reserve and CCA at 80% charge as a normal sized battery at 100%.

Thanks for the info.

Where did you find this? Is more info like this available?
      03-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #43
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Did some Googling and found this:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 07_Battery Basics.pdf (1.06 MB, 537 views)
      03-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #44
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
Quote:
Did some Googling and found this:
This is some fascinating shit. Seems a bit Fritz over-engineered? But still fascinating. Skimmed both docs, and the one thing I'm not sure I've read is exactly *how* they unload the alternator (it's not mechanical).
Appreciate 0