United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Any F1 fans?

Anybody into Formula 1? Thoughts on the new 2017 cars? Interesting to see them running with so much grip. Wondering if the races are going to turn into parades instead...
      04-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I wonder about that. I'm just glad they fixed the tires so they can actually drive instead of worrying about when the tires will degrade.
      04-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
True, the harder compound tires combined with higher downforce has given both tire longevity and a faster more stable car. But it seems to come at the expense of overtaking opportunity. However, It is really amazing to see how fast and capable they are in the corners. It made me think about the extreme physical demands those drivers are sustaining; to be able to sustain those continued g-forces and that high level of focus under those conditions is really quite remarkable. It has always been this way but the bar keeps rising!

Will be interesting to see them navigate Eau Rouge this year...mere mortals would faint!
      04-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

Big F1 fan here.. Wider is better.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I'll probably follow F1 this year to see if Bottas can beat Hamilton and because Ferrari should make things interesting again. I stopped watching a couple of years ago because there wasn't enough overtaking and because Mercedes were so dominant. I haven't really missed it.

There's more overtaking and drama in a single MotoGP race than there is in half a season of F1, so that's what I watch.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
GimmeanM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM PWR View Post
Big F1 fan here.. Wider is better.
Nice! I'm not so sure though. They've got more grip than they know what to do with. Afraid that there is going to be very little overtaking which will leave race outcomes down to pit/tire strategy and qually outcomes. That could just be Australia though, we'll see how China goes...
      04-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
GimmeanM
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I'll probably follow F1 this year to see if Bottas can beat Hamilton and because Ferrari should make things interesting again. I stopped watching a couple of years ago because there wasn't enough overtaking and because Mercedes were so dominant. I haven't really missed it.

There's more overtaking and drama in a single MotoGP race than there is in half a season of F1, so that's what I watch.
Point conceded. Did you watch back when the 1M was the safety car? I watched some in 2010 and then saw Tomizawa's death. Soon after I crashed my own bike which was nearly fatal. So, no more bikes...I know if I watch I'll want to get one and if I get one I fear it will be the end of me.

I've watched F1 since '08, Hamilton's first championship, and have seen the RedBull era and now the Mercedes years. It is exciting to see Ferrari back in the fold although it was always fun to see Hamilton and Rosberg bicker as well.

I feel in the last couple years the racing has been pretty exciting in general. Lots of strategy plays along with on track action.
      04-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Point conceded. Did you watch back when the 1M was the safety car? I watched some in 2010 and then saw Tomizawa's death. Soon after I crashed my own bike which was nearly fatal. So, no more bikes...I know if I watch I'll want to get one and if I get one I fear it will be the end of me.

I've watched F1 since '08, Hamilton's first championship, and have seen the RedBull era and now the Mercedes years. It is exciting to see Ferrari back in the fold although it was always fun to see Hamilton and Rosberg bicker as well.

I feel in the last couple years the racing has been pretty exciting in general. Lots of strategy plays along with on track action.
I was watching "Hitting the Apex" which is a MotoGP documentary that popped up on either Amazon or Netflix streaming. The 1M safety car made several cameos in that film...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Stoney80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post

I've watched Formula One since Mario Andretti roamed the streets in a John Player Special. F1 is hard to get into without the background of history - of the manufacturers, drivers and rules. Individual races can be boring, yet when put into the context of history some may be viewed as quite exciting. The most extreme example of this would be when Button won the first race for Brawn F1 on his way to the title. He blew away the field with a superior rear diffuser. The race left little doubt of who might win the race, yet to watch an underdog team dominate McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull it was one of the most enjoyable races I've ever seen.

Regarding the wider tires, Ross Brawn has already stated that he is willing to make rule changes mid season if necessary to improve overtaking. The new US owners will stay on top of it to keep the viewers happy, just give them time.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I agree with the history aspect of F1.
I am glad I got into F1 and witness the legendary rivalry between Rosberg and Hamilton.
Can't wait to see what this season brings and I hope that Ferrari burns strong this year...even though I am a Hamilton fan!
      04-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #11
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

I am glad I got into F1 and witness the legendary rivalry between Rosberg and Hamilton.
Can't wait to see what this season brings and I hope that Ferrari burns strong this year...even though I am a Hamilton fan!
      04-08-2017, 05:16 AM   #12
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

04-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

Lewis on pole. Here we go...
Appreciate 0