BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow Oil Filter Housing gasket leaking... A design defect ?

I came across this video yesterday. Made me wonder about all the OFH leaks/repairs. These guys claim their new and improved part has added "nubs" that prevent the gasket from leaking. I thought that was interesting.

Thoughts Guys ?

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

I just did my OFHG this past August and I can't remember if the new had the nubs or not but I leaning towards no.

Am I buying into this nub theory? NO

My gasket had been leaking for a good 9 months before I finally got around to it so I'd say I was at 68k-ish miles when the problem started. What I found when I took things apart was a hardened gasket that was no where near as pliable as the new one. So, I think the problem is the result of a gasket material that just doesn't stand up to the heat it encounters under normal use.

That's my .02
Dackelone10527.50
      11-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
Preciado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

I just did mine this week but without this specific gasket. She mentions a fault in the design of the OFH itself and not the gasket but of course goes on to introduce a new 'revised' gasket with centering nubs?

When I replaced my gasket I found the typical and general old gasket issue: it's been flattened and leveled with the OFH or nearly leveled and it was much stiffer than a fresh gasket.

It was also really well sat in the gasket 'valley' and wasn't at all loose. In fact, I had to get a pick and pull part of the gasket out because it was so tight in there. So I don't entirely understand the purpose of adding nubs to center the gasket especially when the new one I just threw in fit snug as well.

I wish they could've at least shown both gaskets in the OFH to help illustrate their point better and visually show why this new design is better.

But I'm not about to do this job again for the fun of having a new revised gasket. If it is truly better I'll wait for it to leak again in another 50k or so.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      11-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

OKay, so I've been on this site for many years, and the OFHG thing seems only a very recent phenomenon that is popping up. I'm sure there were some previously, but it seems recently it is being added to the list of things the "will" fail on this vehicle (like HPFP for N54, water pump, charge pipe, etc).

Is this a problem only a few people have that has been blown out of proportion, or should I expect it to fail too (2012 with 85k miles)?

I don't doubt that it's a legitimate issue to some degree, but having been on this site for over 6 years, I've only begun to see posts about it in the last year.

Assuming we should expect it to fail, what are indications?
Is it a DIY for the average joe or is it an intensive/expensive repair (yeah I know I could try to search, but I'm busy at the moment)?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

I had this issue on my 2012 135i and I did the fix myself. So yes, I would say an average Joe like me can do it, so can you. But you do need the correct tools such as extensions bars and angled extensions.

With that said, It wouldn't be a surprise for you to have the issue as well and it is not a recent phenomenon.

If I learn anything from doing it, it is easier to take out the fan to give more space. I couldn't take out the fan when I did it because I did not know there were 2 tabs under the car that held the fan in. You have to open up the panel under the bumper so you can see the intercooler. From there, you will see the 2 tabs. I only realize the 2 tabs when I did my coolant flush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
OKay, so I've been on this site for many years, and the OFHG thing seems only a very recent phenomenon that is popping up. I'm sure there were some previously, but it seems recently it is being added to the list of things the "will" fail on this vehicle (like HPFP for N54, water pump, charge pipe, etc).

Is this a problem only a few people have that has been blown out of proportion, or should I expect it to fail too (2012 with 85k miles)?

I don't doubt that it's a legitimate issue to some degree, but having been on this site for over 6 years, I've only begun to see posts about it in the last year.

Is it a DIY for the average joe or is it an intensive/expensive repair (yeah I know I could try to search, but I'm busy at the moment)?
Appreciate 2
Cavpilot2k1023.00
Dackelone10527.50
      11-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
Preciado
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think it just comes with age. I mean, it's a rubber gasket after all. This isn't by any means a robust gasket like a cylinder head gasket.

I would be more surprised if somebody were to reach 100-150K without ever having to change it because of how many heat cycles this gasket seas and given that both hot oil and coolant travel right around it. I changed mine this week and my 2008 135i is at 52K.

So to me it's inevitable and just another maintenance item to take care of as opposed to some weak point in reliability. So as time goes on more and more people are going to start having this gasket to change if they haven't already.

Quote:
You'll see it very easily most of the time starting with a small visible oil leak where the OFH meets the cylinder head. And if it's been leaking enough you may even start to see the front of the head and surrounding areas start to get 'moist' with oil residue.

The lesser visible indicator is dirty coolant; oil droplets here and there in your coolant do to the two mixing from a bad gasket. This one may be more alarming because of course this same indicator can indicate a blown head gasket but just know it most likely (hopefully) is just a bad OFH gasket. So it's important to change it right away to avoid any mixing OR any leaking directly onto your belt.

Quote:
Expensive is having a shop or BMW doing it and spending $500-1000

As for myself, knowing this fix would require some oil and coolant to be drained I went ahead and just did a coolant flush and complete oil change while doing this repair to justify the cost of those two things.

All in all after parts, oil, coolant, distilled water, etc. I spent less than $200 utilizing the FCP Euro OFH gasket kit.

I HIGHLY recommend that you check and see if you have the necessary tools first because you'll need E / T / Star type wrenches and sockets. That's something I bought between a trip to Harbor Freight for sockets and Amazon for wrenches. They're handy to have for future repairs so they're all very easily justifiable.

If you really want to go above and beyond you can also take care of your intake manifold gasket while you're at it but a few more things have to be done to remove it entire as opposed to just getting it lose enough to reach the one stupid bolt pressed against it.

Little things that can also be done at the same time easily but not necessary: cabin filter and air box filter.

Do I recommend it? Depends what kind of work you've done before and how long you're willing to work on it. It will not take longer than a day and if you watch videos and research first you may get it done in just a few hours.

Be sure to have brake cleaner and lots of rags to cover your alternator and belt from spills.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 05:11 AM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

I noticed the latest genuine gaskets are made in Japan instead of Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciado View Post
I think it just comes with age. I mean, it's a rubber gasket after all. This isn't by any means a robust gasket like a cylinder head gasket.

I would be more surprised if somebody were to reach 100-150K without ever having to change it because of how many heat cycles this gasket seas and given that both hot oil and coolant travel right around it. I changed mine this week and my 2008 135i is at 52K.

So to me it's inevitable and just another maintenance item to take care of as opposed to some weak point in reliability. So as time goes on more and more people are going to start having this gasket to change if they haven't already.

I am just over 100K miles on my 135i and I have never changed mine. Nor does my OFH gasket leak. But then again I have done ALL my oil changes except for one.

That ONE oil change done at my dealer, when the car was just a few months old. In Germany normally an oil change for our cars runs about $390 euros. I brought my own oil and they only charged me for the filter and labor without the German 19% sales tax... My wallet was 150 euros lighter. Nein Danke. Never again!

One liter of oil runs around 32 euros, times eight, 15 euros for an oil filter and one hours labor rate at 120 euros per. 400 euro bill.

I have a friend who just had an German Indi shop replace his OFH gasket... they also replaced the flange... bc they said their experience is that the flange warps over time. Seemed kind of fishy to me.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
Preciado
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I am just over 100K miles on my 135i and I have never changed mine. Nor does my OFH gasket leak. But then again I have done ALL my oil changes except for one.
Dackel
I think you're one of the few that can say that because I think nowadays the vast majority of E82 owners aren't the original or even 2nd owner, including myself. But that's good to hear! I prefer having factory seals and bolts untouched when everything is working fine.

Also! I'm so shocked by how much that oil change added up. Nein danke indeed ahaha I'm definitely sticking to doing it myself. Thankfully a BMW dealership is 5 minute drive from me so I just pick up my filters and such from their parts department and do everything at home.

And I agree, something does seem a bit fishing about having to swap the whole flange/part. I feel like a fresh gasket would more than compensate for any warp (if that were really a thing) because these gaskets are thick, they're not thin gaskets like a cylinder head has.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      11-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciado View Post

And I agree, something does seem a bit fishing about having to swap the whole flange/part. I feel like a fresh gasket would more than compensate for any warp (if that were really a thing) because these gaskets are thick, they're not thin gaskets like a cylinder head has.
IF you think an oil change is expensive over here... my buddy who had his OFH gasket replaced(including the OFH top plate itself) paid over 700 euros at his Indi mechanic. I was shocked.

I will always change my own oil & do it frequently.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #11
neepertech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

What DIY instructions did you guys follow for the N55? I have the gaskets arriving tomorrow along with an E10 swivel socket.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

It's normally a common failure point. A lot of what is found is the stock gasket has deteriorated over time. Either material flow or too much heat (Possibly both).
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      11-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepertech View Post
What DIY instructions did you guys follow for the N55? I have the gaskets arriving tomorrow along with an E10 swivel socket.
I don't think anyone has made a DIY on 1Addicts... so maybe you can take some pics and help the forum out.

Here are a few threads on the e90forum which will help you out. You have to remove the intake manifold(its a perfect time to clean the intake valves with say CRC GDI intake valve cleaner or Seafoam and scrape those valves). Good Luck

Dackel

e90 - N54 Oil Filter Housing gasket replacement (2007 335i automatic)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791674

N54 Oil Filter Housing gasket replacement DIY
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...eplacement-DIY

Oil filter housing leak
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711625

Don't over torque THAT oil filter housing...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508450
Appreciate 0