BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2018, 02:48 AM   #67
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

We go round and round the block on these types of "investment" conversations. It's not a good investment if you consider that you took your $60k of car, options, registrations and servicing costs, and got $92k for it - that's not even 50% compounded over 7 years.

Park that 60k in an index fund and it would something like $170k over the same period. Which means this owner hardly enjoyed the car (unless he's one of those that derive most of their enjoyment from looking at it and polishing it), and made a loser of an investment to boot.

With that said, 1M owners should be thrilled to have been able to drive the wheels off their car for 7 years and not lose any money on depreciation. That's as good as a car enthusiast should be able to expect. If you're thinking that you're sitting on the next 250 GTO...you're not.
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2018, 03:18 AM   #68
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayers1997 View Post
the 1M is really overhyped. its basically a modern E36 M3. that's great, but it's not 90 grand great. my E36 is fully built, and the interior is modernized, and it's a far superior car to the 1m I almost bought before I got an F80. I just cant imagine spending almost 100 grand on a car that a 340i blows the doors off
That right there shows you don't get it. It's like FBO 335i vs M3 arguments.
Enjoy your EPS

I want your active diff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayers1997 View Post
a car being a collector car doesnt make it inherently great. and I really dont gind the M2 all that special, but then neither is the 1M. you didnt say a single thing about the car other than it's a collectible car. big whoop, why tho? because it was rare.

theres a laundry list of bimmers I would buy before I even considered a 1m or an m2.

E36 and 46 are the best cars I've ever driven bar none. every M car since then has been in their shadow for me

Ok, you have no credibility slanging your USDM E36 Mock3 around. Lol.

Last edited by gmx; 11-27-2018 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:05 AM   #69
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Wow! A lot of supposed M2 owners hating on our beloved 1M.

Hmmm �� Jealousy does suck gentlemen.

But, no worries....... most of us will pick up a M2 on the cheap soon enough ��

You see the M2's are depreciating like crazy if you haven't already noticed. Sort of like the middle child syndrome/complex stuck between the 1M and the M2C.

Your M2 will be had in the 30's very soon ��

...and honestly that's probably what they are worth considering the M2C is out and superior.

Of course all you M2 owners are crying about how that should of been the original M2 from the start. No arguments there! You guys got screwed!

But, don't be so salty about it and don't take it out on us!

Peace ✌️
i like the M2; but to me the M2/1M connection is like the E36 M3 was to the E30 M3.

it was an 'evolution' of the idea; but not a particularly great one that actually retained the spirit. When the 3rd generation of this idea, the 'next M2' comes out; the status of the 1M will become even more elevated than it is now. Let's face it the 1/2 series are the new 3-series and the 1M/M2 *is* the modern M3 principle laid out for modern times.

I am waiting for the sub-30K M2 so i can street park it and throw it around for errands. I don't think the M2 is even remotely a 'special' car like the 1M is--- having driven several now; but i do think it's a good car compared to other modern cars.

Back to the 1M; it's a shame most people haven't driven one. Even after the hype, it exceeds all expectations of a modern car driving experience. it feels simple, agile, fun, and most of all captures all of the small intangible qualities of why DRIVING is so fun. BMW made one of the most flawed, yet perfect cars ever in the 1M.

Last edited by 10"; 11-27-2018 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1197.00
champignon1562.00
      11-27-2018, 04:09 AM   #70
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Barley driven, should have bought property back then would have made a hell of a lot more!!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:37 AM   #71
Jb1707
Rep
Drives: 1M, IXM60, M3, Hur Perf, GT4rs

The bottom line is scarcity value.

Also
Limited numbers
Cool background/development story
Very fun car to drive

So what if you can buy a car that is better in terms of performance than the 1m for less money, that is the case for almost all of the collectible classics out there.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 05:29 AM   #72
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyBlueCars View Post
The only thing special about this car is that so few were made. The M2 is better in every regard, and it looks waaay better. The only reason to buy this car at that price is because it's your unicorn.
It appears from your signature that you own NEITHER. So we will take your opinion for what it is worth.

I, along with a number of other people, happen to own both of them. The M2 is a fine, modern, car. I am liking it more than I did when I first acquired it, new, in March. It is, however, nowhere near as fun to drive as a 1M. I bought my 1M used, so I never did get to experience that new car smell, which I did get in spades from my M2, the first new BMW I have purchased since 1993.

The M2 is considerably more luxurious than a 1M; it is certainly more modern. It drives well. But is it inspiring like a 1M? No, it is not.
Inspiring is a word people use in regards to cars when they have a personal connection to them. I don't have that connection to the 1M.

I'm the original owner of that E92 - and could have gotten the 1 instead as it had just come out at the time. I found it neither as inspiring or engaging as my M3, mostly because of the V8. At any rate, I've driven both and can tell you, aside from steering feel, the M2 is just better. Don't be butt hurt because you paid more for a lesser car.
c1pher4529.00
MDuckie93.00
      11-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #73
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

This I can see, classic.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #74
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Quote:
Wow! A lot of supposed M2 owners hating on our beloved 1M.

Hmmm 🤔 Jealousy does suck gentlemen.

But, no worries....... most of us will pick up a M2 on the cheap soon enough 🤣

You see the M2's are depreciating like crazy if you haven't already noticed. Sort of like the middle child syndrome/complex stuck between the 1M and the M2C.

Your M2 will be had in the 30's very soon 🤣

...and honestly that's probably what they are worth considering the M2C is out and superior.

Of course all you M2 owners are crying about how that should of been the original M2 from the start. No arguments there! You guys got screwed!

But, don't be so salty about it and don't take it out on us!

Peace ✌️
Actually, I don't regret my purchase of an LCI 2018 M2 in March, at MSRP, although I ordered my car and it has the desirable MG color, plus zero options. I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it to drive, mostly in the winter and in conditions I would not drive my 1M through. It's a disposable car, like most any other.

I don't agree with your assessment of valuation, not because I think that the "regular" M2 will defy gravity when it comes to depreciation, but because I think that the M2C will likewise depreciate, like any other regular M Car. When they are 10 years old both will command about half of their original MSRPs, assuming that we are in a somewhat inflationary environment.

The M2C is not some sort of special supercar, it really isn't, and allusions to things like "middle children" are sort of silly. These things will trade based upon supply and demand, and I promise you that there will be adequate supply to meet the demand. The biggest threat to future valuations of all the versions of the M2 will be external factors, such as the desirability of small passenger cars 10 years from now, availability of fuel, restrictions on internal combustion engines, etc.
My friend, I'm in no way saying that the M2C is special or will appreciate in value. It will also depreciate just like any mass produced car!

I'm just saying that the M2 is under additional pressure at the moment because of the newly released M2C. There are still untouched 2018 M2's at my local dealership and a ton out on the used car market with prices declining.

While I don't think it's a bad car, I also don't feel it is special in anyway. However, once in the $30's, I'll consider one for a DD......although, I'm more likely to pull the trigger on a late production model e46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #75
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

guys, this always happens in any forum, no need for this, unless you own and driven the 1M, or e36, or 135is, don't go on bashing each others drive... make no sense and feel really childish. So you own a 135is great, great car nonetheless, I would never go on that site putting it down if someone sold it for 60k.

I definitely didn't put buy the 1m because of it being a collectible, all of the original owners never get to test drive one when they put a deposit on one, there was none to test drive.

I do think $92k is quite much for a 1M, limited miles or not, but you gotta think that person who have that much money to do that is not a fool either. I ask my 21 yrs old which car he would take between my GT3 and the 1M if I get old or hit the bucket, and he said just leave the 1M for him.

Kinda think of it, the only thing special is the deviated orange stitching, everything else is plain, simple m3 suspension and brakes, M tuned 135is engine, regular sports seats, silly widebody with big fat tires, only comes in manual that my wife can't drive but my son could, regular car that I frequently pick up the 3 boys from school. I even pick up 4 8ft 2X4 from home depot and throw it in like any regular 2 door sports car can...its just a regular car, and did I mention its so hideous that only a mother could love, in my case a father, cause my wife hates it, she hates it when I take her to movie, or to dinner or a long cruise through the coastline...complains too noisy and bumpy and not smooth like the GTR that I used to have and the only supercar that she could drive, but I traded that in for the Pcar, didn't trade the simple 1M in but the GTR instead.

so that's that for my 2cts, fact is I wouldn't buy the 1M with that price, but if I'm gazillinaire, I would in a heart beat, I wouldn't car less for a 135is with a Dinan tune, or a hooped up E36 or E46 M3, that is If I'M a Millionaire....so don't hate..

and honestly, I wouldn't give my car up if someone ofter me 75K or less, lol
Only car that I would enjoy driving more is the GT4, but not that much usable, maybe when the kids all grown up and go to college, but then, I already have my GT3, so I'm keeping the 1M for the long run, pass down to my 21 yrs old when I'm done.
Appreciate 2
gmx166.00
djafactor138.50
      11-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #76
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
He has not done his 1200 miles service yet
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #77
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Really? I don't think the car is worth that much. It wasn't even a true M if I recall the spec correctly.... I think it had a regular 335 engine... for 92k one can get a very nice older model or an ok newer model p-car....
      11-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #78
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Really? I don't think the car is worth that much. It wasn't even a true M if I recall the spec correctly.... I think it had a regular 335 engine... for 92k one can get a very nice older model or an ok newer model p-car....
that's very true, its a regular M tune N54 engine,
by the way, over 6000 1M worldwide, is not limited, but yet, prices still hold or even going up, very unusual for just a regular 2 door sports car. I assume at this price range, mostly middle class, older men or successful young guys that could afford them, maybe they are just foolish and stupid just like me, all 6,000 of us.

Last edited by FIRSTM; 11-27-2018 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #79
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

I've owned BMW's for 18+ years, I'd consider myself a diehard bimmer enthusiast....but I realized that's all bullshit today because I would literally buy 20+ other cars (mostly non BMW's because I've owned all the ones I've desired) at that price point rather than a 1M.

There's always an idiot that screws up the market like this.
Appreciate 1
FIRSTM142.00
      11-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #80
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
I've owned BMW's for 18+ years, I'd consider myself a diehard bimmer enthusiast....but I realized that's all bullshit today because I would literally buy 20+ other cars (mostly non BMW's because I've owned all the ones I've desired) at that price point rather than a 1M.

There's always an idiot that screws up the market like this.
I agree with you there, but we don't know who this owner is, maybe he already got a full garage fill with who knows what. Maybe he's a prince from the middle east, or a spoil brat who wants it and his/her parents bought...regardless, whoever it is got a lot of money to be able to do that and don't care about the 20+ cars you mention. I do believe people do with whatever they want with their own money.

You should look over at the GT3 fiasco, they really screw up that market, flippers, bad dealers, whole bunch of mess, well similar to the 1M when first launch. There's also 2.5 million dollar stolen from GT buyers from a vp sales guy in FL Porsche dealer.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #81
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Inspiring is a word people use in regards to cars when they have a personal connection to them. I don't have that connection to the 1M.

I'm the original owner of that E92 - and could have gotten the 1 instead as it had just come out at the time. I found it neither as inspiring or engaging as my M3, mostly because of the V8. At any rate, I've driven both and can tell you, aside from steering feel, the M2 is just better. Don't be butt hurt because you paid more for a lesser car.
I paid significantly more for my M2 than I paid for my modestly used 1M . . . . . if I had to give up one of these cars, the M2 would go in a heartbeat, and then I'd just drive my Golf R when I need to drive a disposable car . . . . the R is a better car for what it is, in it's price range, than is the M2, although I definitely prefer driving the M2 to the R, except in very inclement weather, when the preference flips due to AWD in the R.
      11-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #82
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I paid significantly more for my M2 than I paid for my modestly used 1M . . . . . if I had to give up one of these cars, the M2 would go in a heartbeat, and then I'd just drive my Golf R when I need to drive a disposable car . . . .
If you paid less for a 1M than the 55k an M2 costs, then good on you. Your 1M was a smart purchase. A 92k one is not.
FIRSTM142.00
      11-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #83
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My friend, I'm in no way saying that the M2C is special or will appreciate in value. It will also depreciate just like any mass produced car!

I'm just saying that the M2 is under additional pressure at the moment because of the newly released M2C. There are still untouched 2018 M2's at my local dealership and a ton out on the used car market with prices declining.

While I don't think it's a bad car, I also don't feel it is special in anyway. However, once in the $30's, I'll consider one for a DD......although, I'm more likely to pull the trigger on a late production model e46 M3.
The "untouched 2018 M2s" that are sitting around on lots are overwhelmingly automatic cars that have been loaded up with options like a Christmas tree, sporting ridiculous MSRPs. When you try to sell a $54K car for $70K or even $80K, just because it has a bunch of plastic bits all over it, the result is predictable.
      11-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #84
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you paid less for a 1M than the 55k an M2 costs, then good on you. Your 1M was a smart purchase. A 92k one is not.
I wouldn't pay $92K for ANY car; I think it would be an extremely foolish purchase. I didn't buy any of my cars as investments; I'm a competent enough investor that I have much better places to put money than cars.

Nonetheless, one reaches a point in life, if successful, where one can have a few toys . . . . .
      11-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #85
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

I drove an 1m in Bmw mschool back in 2012, I have never had so much fun with a car. Since then I drove m3,m6, m235, i8, but none of them has been as fun as 1m.
Why I didn't get one in 2011???
Appreciate 2
FIRSTM142.00
Tornado1M1197.00
      11-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #86
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
I drove an 1m in Bmw mschool back in 2012, I have never had so much fun with a car. Since then I drove m3,m6, m236, i8, but none of them has been as fun as 1m.
Why I didn't get one in 2011???
not too late
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1197.00
      11-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #87
dkat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW Z8, 2011 1M, 2020 Por

Wow, I can't believe what this thread has morphed into. The car is worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. Simple supply & demand.
A "collectible" car is not an investment. you have stocks, bonds, real estate, precious metal for that.
Can't drive a stock, wash or wax a bond. Collectible cars are hobbies. There are people who will bring them to shows, autocross/race, take a nice ride or just stare at them in a garage. Who cares what a a hobbyist will do with their car or what they are willing to pay. If it appreciates in value, good for you.
Comparing the 1M to any modern car is silly. Any late model performance car will run rings around a 1M for the same price or less. I can trade mine for a late model Porsche 911 all day. The 911 will be faster, better handling, better quality but in the end, It's just another 911. I wanted something a little different, a little raw, analogue. With only 740 cars imported to the U.S.(that's another debate), I like owing something that not many others have. I will continue to drive mine on nice days on twisty roads for the foreseeable future
Appreciate 4
FIRSTM142.00
champignon1562.00
Tornado1M1197.00
gmx166.00
      11-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #88
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
Wow, I can't believe what this thread has morphed into. The car is worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. Simple supply & demand.
A "collectible" car is not an investment. you have stocks, bonds, real estate, precious metal for that.
Can't drive a stock, wash or wax a bond. Collectible cars are hobbies. There are people who will bring them to shows, autocross/race, take a nice ride or just stare at them in a garage. Who cares what a a hobbyist will do with their car or what they are willing to pay. If it appreciates in value, good for you.
Comparing the 1M to any modern car is silly. Any late model performance car will run rings around a 1M for the same price or less. I can trade mine for a late model Porsche 911 all day. The 911 will be faster, better handling, better quality but in the end, It's just another 911. I wanted something a little different, a little raw, analogue. With only 740 cars imported to the U.S.(that's another debate), I like owing something that not many others have. I will continue to drive mine on nice days on twisty roads for the foreseeable future
agree with you, but I believe Porsche really knows what they are doing, still offering MT in their cars is testament on how they understand their customers. if you can find older 3.8 liter 911, and take it for a spin, do it. Most newer latest 911 are all turbo, similar to 1M experience except rear engine bias, still very fun. So keep your 1M.
Appreciate 0