BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Cheapo front lip?

In the process of closing a deal on a 1m (will post formal intro thread later this week). It is much lower than my current car and I am concerned about messing up the front bumper.

Is there a cheapo type front lip on the market that I can throw on there to protect the beautiful front bumper to protect from everyday driving situations? I would much rather have a cheap ~ $400 or less lip on there and not have to worry about it as much.

Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

No.
      02-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
No.
Ok....

well hopefully someone will release one. I would be interested, don't really care what it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Unfortunately, there are no "cheap" cosmetic mods for the 1M. And the model's limited production run means that it is unlikely a vendor will step up to make any...

For what it's worth, I hope that a cheap front lip exists, but I've been on this forum since the 1M was announced and I have yet to see any front lip that is not carbon fiber and/or less than $1,200. If one existed I'd have it by now

Papethova started a thread about a $600-$700 "CRT-style" lip, but I don't think anything has been finalized yet. His thread is here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=crt+lip
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post
Unfortunately, there are no "cheap" cosmetic mods for the 1M. And the model's limited production run means that it is unlikely a vendor will step up to make any...

For what it's worth, I hope that a cheap front lip exists, but I've been on this forum since the 1M was announced and I have yet to see any front lip that is not carbon fiber and/or less than $1,200. If one existed I'd have it by now

Papethova started a thread about a $600-$700 "CRT-style" lip, but I don't think anything has been finalized yet. His thread is here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=crt+lip
Hmmm, that looks cool, and may be a possibility. I would really like to see something that covers the side sections as well, but i guess there is nothing out there yet. Oh well, I will just have to be careful. I am concerned because the entrance to my parking garage has some fairly steep grades. There is a guy who parks in there with a dumped 335 with the aero lip that looks to be in good shape. I will just have to hope for the best and be careful!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

It's a shame no one's stepped up, but when even the 135i/335i guys don't have a cheap alternative, what's the hope for us.
Above all else I just want something something to protect the front under-bumper area around town and on the track.
Back in my 350z days, I had a friend who purchased a APR front splitter, and cut it so he was able to mount it without the need of support rods; I know this destroyed the benefits of the front splitter. But, it was a front splitter/lip for under 400 bucks.
Maybe someone more industrious than I could order one, have it cut to our spec and send it back to APR for mass production?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

The CRT style lip that Pap is quarterbacking is going to be perfect for what you are looking to use it for. The only problem is that it is going to be produced in CF. I am hoping that it is going to be a hit and the company he has making them will produce a plastic version. If it uses the stock mounting points and it is made using something more durable cf then I think it's a big win. There are a few other lips out there but nothing great in my honest opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Ok....

well hopefully someone will release one. I would be interested, don't really care what it looks like.
NO.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
lcrain
Captain
Rep

I am wondering how hard it would be to kinda make one....I know cupra makes a lip for some cars that is really cheap and disposable. I guess because the front bumper is so intricate the production would be more costly.

Oh well, lets hope someone does it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I am wondering how hard it would be to kinda make one....I know cupra makes a lip for some cars that is really cheap and disposable. I guess because the front bumper is so intricate the production would be more costly.

Oh well, lets hope someone does it.
i had a cupra splitter on my audi and loved it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Mr_M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the sidewalks

Someone is gathering info about the motogp safety car parts including the lip. U never know
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637678&page=2
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep

I was fooling around the idea of getting a Z4 before I got the 1M, and I vaguely remembered seeing some custom front lips on zpost.
So I did a search, and sure enough, here ya go ->
this one has a custom front splitter for the AC front end:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...6#post10105846

this one is what's promising though:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591981
the lip is on post 12, and the pricing is on page 2 (spoiler alert: $450!)
maybe they'd be interested in modifying it for the 1M?

I haven't starting modding my 1M at all, haven't really had the itch like with my other cars, but would jump at front lip at the right price.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwrrr View Post
I was fooling around the idea of getting a Z4 before I got the 1M, and I vaguely remembered seeing some custom front lips on zpost.

I haven't starting modding my 1M at all, haven't really had the itch like with my other cars, but would jump at front lip at the right price.
Wow, that looks pretty good!

Looks aren't at the top of my list for this item, I really just want some extra protection. I wouldn't consider this a mod, more of peace of mind, like clear bra!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

There is always another way: just hit and scratch it at times when you are not lucky or distracted and buy a 30 USD touch-up paint kit from BMW and fix it time to time if just knowing that underneath of the front bumper is scratched bothers you too much. After all that is just black plastic under the very thin layered paint and worrying too much doesn't help enjoying this car.

My garage entry/exit is very steep, horrible but I learned the exact way to handle it and still sometimes it just touches, other times I save it with a mm or so probably. Knowing that under the bumper has marks kind of comfort me about the car, go figure it.

CRT front lip project is the only one I would put there anyway but I prefer the stock look over anything I have seen so far.

My 2c.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

What is a crappy piece of plastic going to do in regards to protection? It will just be the first thing (out of 2) to hit. I'm all for a GT3 style front lip but R&D costs money so even plastic won't be cheap.
      02-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
or...call CEC to build a nose lift kit, like on the P-cars

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...ml#post2355031
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwrrr View Post

The E89 splitter looks pretty nice... though I had to LOL @ all the people complaining that its $450 price is "so expensive" and "really out there..."

I honestly don't understand why we don't have any non-CF options. If a company already has a mold for a CF splitter, it should be no extra effort to make a fiberglass version.
2011 1M | Valencia Orange | #655 of 740
BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance Shadowline Grills | Gloss black iND side markers
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime View Post

Should have something VERY soon and pics will be up immediately

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
The CRT style lip that Pap is quarterbacking is going to be perfect for what you are looking to use it for. The only problem is that it is going to be produced in CF. I am hoping that it is going to be a hit and the company he has making them will produce a plastic version. If it uses the stock mounting points and it is made using something more durable cf then I think it's a big win. There are a few other lips out there but nothing great in my honest opinion.
That also is a very serious possibility but I would need a good size group to commit.
Appreciate 0