BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #111
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 PS2 N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Nice!!! They looks great. Are they comfy?
Thanks Petro! They definitely look more sporty than the stock seats, that's for sure.

They are comfy, yes. But I wouldn't go as far to say they are comfier than the stock seats. The stock seats were pretty great in that regard.

What these do have going for them though, is that they hug you and keep you from sliding around at all during hard cornering. Very confidence inspiring, and I feel more connected with the car now that I'm not constantly pulling myself back into the center of my seat after going around a corner quickly. I wish they had a bit more cushion on the bottom, it gets pretty hard after an hour or so of sitting. But that's the trade off for running a lightweight bucket seat I suppose.

Austin
      12-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #112
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaslink View Post
Thanks Petro! They definitely look more sporty than the stock seats, that's for sure.

They are comfy, yes. But I wouldn't go as far to say they are comfier than the stock seats. The stock seats were pretty great in that regard.

What these do have going for them though, is that they hug you and keep you from sliding around at all during hard cornering. Very confidence inspiring, and I feel more connected with the car now that I'm not constantly pulling myself back into the center of my seat after going around a corner quickly. I wish they had a bit more cushion on the bottom, it gets pretty hard after an hour or so of sitting. But that's the trade off for running a lightweight bucket seat I suppose.

Austin
Yes I'm sure they are great at keeping you in front of the steering wheel. 2 of my audis had Recaro seats. Not the race seats but very nice fancy ones. And they were very hugging and comfy too, but awful on a long drive.
I guess your building a racecar more than a DD. I like it. And its something you can drive to the track. You do nice work. The more work I do to my car( it seems) the shittier it gets. Lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 12:49 AM   #113
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Hi random question: That badge on your steering wheel airbag, how were you able to change it? Is it a totally new airbag? Is it an overlay? Are you even able to replace only the badge?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #114
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
Hi random question: That badge on your steering wheel airbag, how were you able to change it? Is it a totally new airbag? Is it an overlay? Are you even able to replace only the badge?
Bmw roundelle kits on Amazon. Just stick it on. Many different ones to chose from
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #115
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I'm sure they are great at keeping you in front of the steering wheel. 2 of my audis had Recaro seats. Not the race seats but very nice fancy ones. And they were very hugging and comfy too, but awful on a long drive.
I guess your building a racecar more than a DD. I like it. And its something you can drive to the track. You do nice work. The more work I do to my car( it seems) the shittier it gets. Lol.
I appreciate the compliments as always! The car started off as a fun daily driver, but the more I do to it, it is becoming less DD and more racecar definitely. lol.

The plan is to have it track ready by the time we leave Hawaii in 2022, and be ready to scoop up a new DD. Been looking at Porsche Macan Turbos & GTSs. The BMW will be retired to track duty/weekend cruises.

As long as you're having fun with yours, that's all that matters!
      12-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #116
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
As Petro said, it came in a kit. I believe I got it off of Ebay actually. Came with front and rear badges, centercaps for the wheels, and the steering wheel overlay.

The steering wheel one simply sticks on over the OEM badge. I actually removed it the other day though. The all black badges don't do well in the sun. They start to fade and get oxidized. Just running all new OEM badges now.
      12-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #117
schmitthaus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

daily drivability?

Hey, I've got a N55 135i that I'm waffling on stage1 or stage 2 turbo, how is the stage 2 for a daily driver?
I'd read that the Pure 2 starts making power ~1k rpm's higher than stock. seems like it'd be a bit of a pain for city driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #118
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitthaus View Post
Hey, I've got a N55 135i that I'm waffling on stage1 or stage 2 turbo, how is the stage 2 for a daily driver?
I'd read that the Pure 2 starts making power ~1k rpm's higher than stock. seems like it'd be a bit of a pain for city driving.
Hey there!

It's true. The larger PS2 Turbo takes slightly longer to spool than the tiny stock turbo. But the tradeoff is 100% worth it. You hit full boost maybe 5-750 rpms later, but the ability to HOLD that boost until redline is the huge benefit.

As far as daily driving goes, the car still makes power even out of boost. Freeway merging and stop and go traffic, the car feels almost exactly the same. It's when you go WOT that you feel the difference. And the difference is immense. If you're going through the trouble of upgrading the turbo, do yourself a favor and go for the PS2.

Austin
      12-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #119
schmitthaus
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Awesome, thanks for the reply Austin.

I've already upgraded to an Injen cold air intake, Dinan intercooler, oil cooler, exhaust, (the car had the Dinan exhaust when I bought it, figured might as well complete the set) getting the chargepipe and downpipe in the next couple of weeks, it definitely makes sense to not hamstring myself on the turbo.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 11:27 PM   #120
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Nelson Racing Wheel

Exciting day!

Finally received my custom Nelson Racing Wheel after much anticipation!

Install was a cake walk, and I even took the time to throw the red (m) button on the wheel controls as well. This wheel totally ties the rest of the interior mods together! Glad I went with the flat bottom. Adds a really aggressive and sporty feel.

Here are some pics!

Name:  138289693_2439671536176467_8685747161915000572_n.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  137512311_1920184061455141_7448344803576383017_n.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  210.7 KB

Name:  138291344_759313741458328_3918462676181284271_n.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  254.7 KB

Name:  138203697_398377624584942_7779739465467392357_n.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  138351955_460837721970397_7728175129796695860_n.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  186.9 KB

Name:  136706015_154625562894096_1156923665988168812_n.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  178.1 KB
      01-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #121
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thats beautiful bro!! Hows it feel driving? I love the flat bottom and the white stitching. Although im too messy to have white anything.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #122
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats beautiful bro!! Hows it feel driving? I love the flat bottom and the white stitching. Although im too messy to have white anything.
Thank you!

The wheel itself is a bit thicker than the stock wheel, and believe it or not, heavier. So it feels great! The exposed carbon isn't as grippy as leather, so I try to just grip the alcantara portions when doing a U-turn or sharp cornering. But so far it feels great! I love the stripe up top, and the flat bottom. Adds a very sporty feel to the driving experience.

Austin
      02-02-2021, 03:17 PM   #123
purplehorns
Rep
Drives: 135i

Austinaslink - great build! Your car looks amazing. One question on the Mosselman oil cooler. Did you have to trim any of the duct work or anything else? I also chose to go with the Mosselman oil cooler setup but it seems pretty tight fitting it all back together, especially the brake duct since it seems to occupy the same space as the oil line fitting.
Appreciate 2
houtan700.00
      02-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #124
ETADRAFT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012-135i-white/coral/M

HI, I have been stalking this thread for a while aspiring to PS2. Well i finally pulled the trigger and just installed it along with port injection.

Curious on your decision not to run JB4 and back end flashes. Currently I have JB4 and was planning on going that route. However i find it very confusing at best using their posts on that forum. Sounds like it has additional fail safes

Anyway, you went with Wedge as did houtan and i see you both track. As do I. Sounds like its working well. Being new to all this how was the experience? can you provide any feedback on how the process goes? Does this tune go thru MHD?

Much appreciated! what a clean build!
2012 - 135i - White/Coral - BMS stg2, BMS intake, BMS catless DP, BMS meth, CP-e charge pipe, KW clubsports, M3 suspension bits, BRR rollbar, MOMO FIA seats, 18" APEX EC7 wheels 18x10.5 square, UUC short shifter, Stoptech BBK, ER wide front, N5tuner rear, ER dual oil cooler, CSF radiator, PS2, BMP PI, BoostConcepts LPFP upgrade.
Appreciate 2
houtan700.00
      02-18-2021, 10:16 PM   #125
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorns View Post
Austinaslink - great build! Your car looks amazing. One question on the Mosselman oil cooler. Did you have to trim any of the duct work or anything else? I also chose to go with the Mosselman oil cooler setup but it seems pretty tight fitting it all back together, especially the brake duct since it seems to occupy the same space as the oil line fitting.
Thank you for the kind words! And I apologize for the late reply. I haven't figured out how to receive notifications when someone comments on here..

As for the Mosselman cooler, I did not have to trim anything. The factory brake cooling duct, and fender liner all fit right back into place. I did have to make sure I routed the oil lines in a way that they wouldn't interfere with the brake duct, but that wasn't too difficult. Fitment is tight, but it all fits back together if you take your time and align things right.
      02-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #126
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETADRAFT View Post
HI, I have been stalking this thread for a while aspiring to PS2. Well i finally pulled the trigger and just installed it along with port injection.

Curious on your decision not to run JB4 and back end flashes. Currently I have JB4 and was planning on going that route. However i find it very confusing at best using their posts on that forum. Sounds like it has additional fail safes

Anyway, you went with Wedge as did houtan and i see you both track. As do I. Sounds like its working well. Being new to all this how was the experience? can you provide any feedback on how the process goes? Does this tune go thru MHD?

Much appreciated! what a clean build!

Hello! Thank you for the kind words. I too read through a ton of build threads, including Houtan's before finally committing to the PS2.

Funny you ask about JB4 actually. Before I ran MHD, I ran JB4. Then eventually converted to JB4 + back end flash through MHD.

And now, solely MHD Custom Tune from Wedge. I can say with 100% certainty that the car feels best with just the MHD flash, and no JB4.

The JB4 was okay, but I had random issues with it over the course of a year or two. One issue caused my water pump to continue to run after I turned the car off, which would drain my battery. This was fixed by getting a new JB4 board. Then, I ran into an issue where the boost solenoid connector got loose and didn't make good contact, which gave me boost oscillations and multiple fault codes.

Eventually I got tired of constantly messing with the JB4 and went flash only, and never looked back. The car feels smoother, faster, and I liked the interface of MHD better.

If going PS2, I would recommend a custom tune, and no JB4. To avoid headaches later on.

The tuning process with Wedge was super easy. Basically, you order the tune through their website, listing out your mods and what fuel you intend on running. They reach out to you through email within a day or two with a base map, that you flash to your car with MHD. You take 4 datalogs total, two in third gear, and two in fourth. You then upload those to your DataZap account, and email Wedge when complete. They look at the logs, and respond to you with an updated tune if corrections/adjustments are needed. This process is repeated until both you and the tuner are happy with the car.

I ended up getting 11 revisions total before things were perfect, but that is more than it usually takes, and we were testing out a few other functions while updating my tune.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
      02-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #127
ETADRAFT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012-135i-white/coral/M

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaslink View Post
Hello! Thank you for the kind words. I too read through a ton of build threads, including Houtan's before finally committing to the PS2.

Funny you ask about JB4 actually. Before I ran MHD, I ran JB4. Then eventually converted to JB4 + back end flash through MHD.

And now, solely MHD Custom Tune from Wedge. I can say with 100% certainty that the car feels best with just the MHD flash, and no JB4.

The JB4 was okay, but I had random issues with it over the course of a year or two. One issue caused my water pump to continue to run after I turned the car off, which would drain my battery. This was fixed by getting a new JB4 board. Then, I ran into an issue where the boost solenoid connector got loose and didn't make good contact, which gave me boost oscillations and multiple fault codes.

Eventually I got tired of constantly messing with the JB4 and went flash only, and never looked back. The car feels smoother, faster, and I liked the interface of MHD better.

If going PS2, I would recommend a custom tune, and no JB4. To avoid headaches later on.

The tuning process with Wedge was super easy. Basically, you order the tune through their website, listing out your mods and what fuel you intend on running. They reach out to you through email within a day or two with a base map, that you flash to your car with MHD. You take 4 datalogs total, two in third gear, and two in fourth. You then upload those to your DataZap account, and email Wedge when complete. They look at the logs, and respond to you with an updated tune if corrections/adjustments are needed. This process is repeated until both you and the tuner are happy with the car.

I ended up getting 11 revisions total before things were perfect, but that is more than it usually takes, and we were testing out a few other functions while updating my tune.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
So quick update: PS2 is in with no leaks and the PI from BMP is installed as well. Currently i have it on JB4 BEF with MHD. Was a bit difficult getting it running. Endlessly reading thru their forum for correct info and support is exhausting. I am growing tired of JB4 "support" and their basic responses to a details question. I feel like i'm not part of the club and i'm annoying them with a question...

Wedge: I'm now leaning this direction as well. Curious how you plan to use the PI though? can that be controlled thru MHD? Main reason i keep JB4 now is to control my meth inj in CP (91oct here) and now for the PI (if i can ever get it wired correctly... ) Depending on your answer i may scrap everything and start again. Just dont want to have to buy additional controllers, but if thats the better way it may be inevitable.

JB4: Honestly i haven't had any real issues over the years just one fried Meth controller which they replaced for free. But i also haven't really worked on tuning, just plug and play.

Wedge sounds like the way to go. Mainly i dont like messing around every weekend. I want a solidly fast car for daily and a track toy i can rely on. I like the power numbers you and houtan have been putting down. for track that seems just right for me. Just really curious how you plan to integrate the PI and the Meth if you choose to run it. We do have e85 here but i'm told it is all over the place with concentrations but i'm not opposed to adding some if need be. but as i said i'm looking for as simple of a solution to a solidly fast car as possible. being a fuel chemist or a computer programmer is not my goal LOL.

Thanks again for the help here
2012 - 135i - White/Coral - BMS stg2, BMS intake, BMS catless DP, BMS meth, CP-e charge pipe, KW clubsports, M3 suspension bits, BRR rollbar, MOMO FIA seats, 18" APEX EC7 wheels 18x10.5 square, UUC short shifter, Stoptech BBK, ER wide front, N5tuner rear, ER dual oil cooler, CSF radiator, PS2, BMP PI, BoostConcepts LPFP upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #128
white.nasty135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 135i

Super sexy!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #129
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETADRAFT View Post

Wedge: I'm now leaning this direction as well. Curious how you plan to use the PI though? can that be controlled thru MHD? Main reason i keep JB4 now is to control my meth inj in CP (91oct here) and now for the PI (if i can ever get it wired correctly... ) Depending on your answer i may scrap everything and start again. Just dont want to have to buy additional controllers, but if thats the better way it may be inevitable.

Thanks again for the help here
Congrats on getting the PS2 in and keeping it leak free! Getting that turbo installed is a feat in and of itself.. lol

To run port injection with MHD/Custom Tune, I was going to run a Split Second AIC. (https://www.precisionraceworks.com/s...ler-aic-6.aspx)

It's an additional controller, yes.. But so is the JB4 technically.

This taps into a tach signal, map signal, power and ground. You flash the controller with a laptop, with files provided from your tuner. That, and your actual DME flash would have to be updated to accommodate as well. That's it as far as I know!

I'm running a port injection intake manifold, but currently have the ports plugged. I'll purchase the injectors and controller once I get somewhere that has E85 available. Running port injection with 92 pump fuel won't net me any gains currently. I am currently limited by octane, not volume. So no need for the port injection yet.

With E85 however, I will need the additional volume that port injection provides.

Austin
      03-07-2021, 12:43 AM   #130
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Did my annual spark plug/coil pack replacement today.

Free, thanks to the lifetime warranty from FCP Euro.

Cylinders 5&6 appear to have gotten a bit of moisture in them over the past year.

Plugs - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...plug-ngk-96987

Coils - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...or-12138657273

Name:  158010957_303615574518067_8061487474193540041_n.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  499.2 KB

Name:  157771528_3652779171516822_3863133218005836412_n.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  454.2 KB

Name:  157961237_442482017002633_8227696860343073828_n.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  303.8 KB

Name:  157792249_919037231971009_2695418462614511225_n.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  452.1 KB

Name:  156884093_476220196716141_4674032004229540072_n.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  484.3 KB
      01-21-2024, 12:47 PM   #131
austinaslink
Automotive Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Cool Life Update

Well,

It's been a while since I've updated this! A lot has changed in my life, not so much with the 1er though!

Being in the Air Force, I've relocated from Hawaii to Idaho (surprisingly, I love the change! Happy to have uncrowded roads and mountains around again.)

My wife and I bought our first house together, I bought a 2018 Ford Raptor (amazing truck!) and have retired the 1er from her daily driver duties.

This last summer I sold my 2011 Yamaha R1 and picked up a 1970 Honda CB750 to restore and keep myself busy.

The 1er has been fantastic! I'd argue it's still my most reliable vehicle. lol

I've only put maybe 2,000 miles on her in the last two years. But she still puts a smile on my face every time!

Now for pictures!

Name:  419127427_865442368714998_6934535656632275121_n.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  243.7 KB

Name:  419195194_1094231044938984_5834893020404143883_n.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  253.5 KB

Name:  419701985_231706169909872_8183232246943763501_n.jpg
Size:  253.2 KB

Name:  420144057_304059928806906_9028863550478545227_n.jpg