E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BLACK LEATHER - WEAR AND TEAR

07-25-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
genghis
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i PP/SP

BLACK LEATHER - WEAR AND TEAR

been driving my 330i SP/PP and loving every second. but just the other day i noticed that the piping along the outer edge of the seat, between elbow and shoulder level, nearest to the driver's side door is 'chaffing'. granted, i have my seat in a pretty tight setting as i'm pretty slim and my butt brushes against the edge of the seat when i get in, but should this be happening? I paid a helluva lot for that damn leather (btw, it's black.) is there any way i can prevent this from getting any worse? anybody else having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2005, 11:04 PM   #2
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Use leather cleaner/conditioner. I reccomend+use Meguiars brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

I had good results with Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my last car. But you are going to get wear in that spot no matter what you do. My last car had wear there too but as long as you are careful getting in and out, it's about all you can do.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2005, 01:17 AM   #4
gucci
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Had the same problem with my Mini Cooper `S' and 330ci - with the wrap around type sport seats the leather will rub away from getting in and out of the car.

Granted your car isn't that old, it started becomming obvious after about 12 months of use with abovementioned cars.

Here in Australia I had the seats repaired by fellow in the auto trade - it cost me $70.00 to have the effected section of the seats repaired. Believe it or not, the seats were sprayed with a pressure pack, resultingin the seats looking near new (money well spent).

However, due to the age of your vehicle I would strongly suggest you make representations to your state BMW distributor (not the dealer it was purchased from), you might find that they will do the right thing by you.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
genghis
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i PP/SP

thanks folks, will do all mentioned above.
thought it was a fault in the workmanship of the leather at first, but you set me straight. i just didn't want to have to flare out the wrap arounds everytime i got out of the car, but looks like i'll have to. thank goodness for the memory function.

btw, does it make sense to get the leather cleaner/conditioner from the dealership or are they all the same?
Appreciate 0