BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #45
numba1guju
Lieutenant
numba1guju's Avatar
17
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: 2015 VW Jetta
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

i went to bmwusa.com just to compare pics with these mule pics...this car doesnt seem much wider or anything...def doesnt look like an M1 to me...maybe the 135is or something

but then i can see smudge marks and different coloring around both front and rear fenders...as well as a gap by where the door and front fender meet
__________________
SOLD: 2013 328i Mineral Gray ZMM/ZLP/Heated Seats
SOLD: 2002 325i Jet Black ZPP
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #46
silverfox
Alpine White M Performance
14
Rep
225
Posts

Drives: 2013 X5
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (2)

If it's not a true "M" car, I will not buy one. You hearing this BMW. I will step back in a Z06 and live without the back seat.. Nuff said!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #47
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
454
Rep
2,420
Posts

Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
a couple of things dont sit right w/ me. looks at the a-pillar, it doesnt have the m-sport antracite headliner, all m-cars have this. also the exhaust has been pointed out. the more i look at it, it just look like a regular 1er w/ thicker rubber, thats it
It also doesn't have shadowline trim, but so what, it is only a test mule. All of the cosmetics don't have to be in place yet.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #48
cap_freez
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way
cap_freez's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
429
Posts

Drives: 2010 X3, 2013 RS5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, oh Canada

iTrader: (0)

exactly.

they can add anything they want cosmetically at the last minute. that's why it's called a ''test mule''




Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
It also doesn't have shadowline trim, but so what, it is only a test mule. All of the cosmetics don't have to be in place yet.
__________________
2010 X3
2013 RS5
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #49
Vintage
Colonel
Vintage's Avatar
United_States
311
Rep
2,564
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 2014 535xd 2016 GT4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

but I am still confused - if it is as fast around a track as any so called "true M car," it comes from the M Division, it has the typical M cosmetic enhancements, and it has other suspension/chasis/drivetrain (albeit mild) improvements - HOW IS IT NOT A TRUE M CAR?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #50
bradford
Major
21
Rep
1,035
Posts

Drives: 2008 SGM 135i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago > *

iTrader: (4)

Who gives a crap what they call it?! They've addressed the biggest 1-Series issues: limited track width, brake cooling, and lack of LSD.

This is not a fashion show. I can do without the cheeky grilles on the fender and if the motor doesn't require quad exhaust flow, please don't burden the vehicle with the extra weight.

BMW: We can do without any of the 16- year old boy racer poseur accoutrements present on the other M-cars. Make it fast, handle well, and keep the cost and weight down.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #51
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
65
Rep
5,972
Posts

Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Pretty much agree with this, the quad exhaust has been an M trademark for a long time, even in Z cars. No reason they'd drop it now.

It's possible there's not room for it back there, or they're not using it to save weight. The exhaust on the M3 and M5 is heavy.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #52
Vintage
Colonel
Vintage's Avatar
United_States
311
Rep
2,564
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 2014 535xd 2016 GT4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

agreed, the dual quad exhaust some are seeking adds a lot of weight and no performance improvement. save weight, add power, stiffen the suspension, add a few cosmetic bobbles that are not heavy and we are off to the races
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #53
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
365
Rep
10,705
Posts

Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

Ummm, the E30 and E36 didnt have quads...

Also, to all of you guys saying that this is an is model, take more than a cursury glance at the mule in those pictures. Look at how much wider those fenders are.

The is models are simply cars with the BMW performance package from the factory. This is not a BMW perf 1er...it is much better
__________________


Last edited by BrokenVert; 04-07-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #54
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
150
Rep
748
Posts

Drives: 2016 428i EB M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Bet all the bacon in the world thats a 135is in the making.
They are saving the M1 trademark for a proper sports car - if they decide to make one that is.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #55
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
65
Rep
5,972
Posts

Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evansville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Ummm, the E30 and E36 didnt have quads...

Also, to all of you guys saying that this is an is model, take more than a cursury glance at the mule in those pictures. Look at how much wider those fenders are.

The is models are simply cars with the BMW performance package from the factory. This is not a BMW perf 1er...it is much better

I agree. There's no way they're altering the fenders for an IS model. The MSRP will have to increase significantly to justify that kind of tooling expense, and a 20Hp bump and a set of wider tires isn't going to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #56
r53s65e90
8300
r53s65e90's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: r53 s65e90
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)



This thing still has the continental brakes on from the M3. Are they ready to explain to 1 folks why the did away with the 6 piston calipers?

I want one.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #57
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3023
Rep
8,052
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Bet all the bacon in the world thats a 135is in the making.
They are saving the M1 trademark for a proper sports car - if they decide to make one that is.
Would you like my address? I like bacon, and you won't be correct.

BMW doesn't have provenance. The original 328 has more provenance than the M1, and look at how many times they've recycled that name. I give a 10% chance that this ends up as a 135tii and 70% to M1 and 20% to 1M, leaving exactly nil for 135is. The Z4is and 335is only get a new bumper and the performance package, while this clearly has redone body work, an lsd and functional changes to the brake cooling.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #58
PrimoM3
Chemofski
PrimoM3's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
1,296
Posts

Drives: '13 X5M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Coast, U.S.

iTrader: (0)

This is a test mule guys, not an auto show production car. They're likely just testing the LSD and wider wheels/rubber with this one. They may be testing a refined N55 under the bonnet too, but I guess we won't know.

Nice rotors! Do want this car...
__________________
'13 Individual Frozen Brilliant White ///M3 Coupe
Ordered 2/15/12 | Euro Delivery on 9/21/12 | U.S. Redelivery on 12/6/12 | Motor Dead on 7/15/13

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #59
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: 340ix
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
OMG!!!

FOR SALE MY 09 e92 Space Grey DCT M3 LOADED
Hey man, where do you get your car washed? Beat's the sweet ass outta the place i go.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #60
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
150
Rep
748
Posts

Drives: 2016 428i EB M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I like bacon




Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Would you like my address? I like bacon, and you won't be correct.

BMW doesn't have provenance. The original 328 has more provenance than the M1, and look at how many times they've recycled that name. I give a 10% chance that this ends up as a 135tii and 70% to M1 and 20% to 1M, leaving exactly nil for 135is. The Z4is and 335is only get a new bumper and the performance package, while this clearly has redone body work, an lsd and functional changes to the brake cooling.
Didn't think of it that way. You might be right! It just feels weird to introduce the M1 in the current 1-series body when there's a new 1-series in a couple of years
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #61
Alpin3_F30
Euro.Techniks-EAST
Alpin3_F30's Avatar
United_States
230
Rep
1,468
Posts

Drives: 2015 F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Harrison,NJ

iTrader: (1)

you know what im gona have to do right?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #62
SCOTT26
Major General
SCOTT26's Avatar
3824
Rep
5,478
Posts

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

I am not in Munich right now so I cannot comment on the design changes (if any) that have been made to the car. But by it's appearence it looks as if the car is relatively unfinished.

To answer your question. Yes it is the M.
M cars test in Phases that is what gives an M product it's trademark precision. You have seen the first stage of cars testing in the Arctic , Now they go for evaluation on public roads and soon with the return of better , warmer weather the Nordschleife @ the Nürburgring. And Hot Weather testing in North America's Death Valley.

There is a lot more to come in this car's evaluation process, but Dr. Kay Segler's recent comments that M has to be affordable and youthful to attract new customers is all about 1 car, this car.

As I am not in Munich right now. I have been informed that since the pictures we published this morning that the dealers in Germany are approaching BMW in regards to interest in this car, just think how reaction across the world is doing...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #63
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
567
Posts

Drives: Silver
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: OR

iTrader: (4)

Sweet!!

It doesn't look like an M to me, but it's intriguing nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #64
whozurdaddy
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju View Post
i went to bmwusa.com just to compare pics with these mule pics...this car doesnt seem much wider or anything...def doesnt look like an M1 to me...maybe the 135is or something
I agree. This is a 135is.. not an M
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #65
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
4263
Rep
9,835
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I am not in Munich right now so I cannot comment on the design changes (if any) that have been made to the car. But by it's appearence it looks as if the car is relatively unfinished.

To answer your question. Yes it is the M.
M cars test in Phases that is what gives an M product it's trademark precision. You have seen the first stage of cars testing in the Arctic , Now they go for evaluation on public roads and soon with the return of better , warmer weather the Nordschleife @ the Nürburgring. And Hot Weather testing in North America's Death Valley.

There is a lot more to come in this car's evaluation process, but Dr. Kay Segler's recent comments that M has to be affordable and youthful to attract new customers is all about 1 car, this car.

As I am not in Munich right now. I have been informed that since the pictures we published this morning that the dealers in Germany are approaching BMW in regards to interest in this car, just think how reaction across the world is doing...
Thanks for the info as always Scott--we appreciate it.

Scott, can we infer by the lack of camo surrounding the angel eyes that nothing additional will be addressed in this area on the M1? You have hinted at this before--just wanted to clarify....

I hope they call Dreyer and Reinbold in Indianapolis--I will have to get myself on the list there....
__________________
Past rides: 2015 981 CS, 2014 F22 235, 2011 E82 135, 2008 E82 135, 2007 E92 328, 2007 E92 328 (My lady drives an OG M2. So does my dad)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #66
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
4263
Rep
9,835
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whozurdaddy View Post
I agree. This is a 135is.. not an M
Check out Scott's post above--this IS the ///M....

Additionally, as others have pointed out, there are too many differences on this test mule for it to be a 135is.....
__________________
Past rides: 2015 981 CS, 2014 F22 235, 2011 E82 135, 2008 E82 135, 2007 E92 328, 2007 E92 328 (My lady drives an OG M2. So does my dad)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2011 1m, 2011 bmw 1m, 2011 bmw m1, 2011 m1, 2012 1m, 2012 bmw 1m, 2012 bmw m1, 2012 m1, 2013 1m, 2013 bmw 1m, 2013 bmw m1, 2013 m1, bmw 1m, bmw m1, new bmw m1, new m1

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST