BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
Delta0311
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/06/yout...ig-metall.html

Looks like the world's largest trade union, Germany's IG Metall, had declared war on Youtube. Shit is about to get interesting. And IG Metall does not fuck around..
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
adc100
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

I think the key is the largest trade union in Germany....
I could be wrong but I doubt if YouTube has a problem here.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Delta0311
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
I think the key is the largest trade union in Germany....
I could be wrong but I doubt if YouTube has a problem here.
If they sue Youtube will have to appear in German court. Youtube wants to do everything in their power to NOT go to court.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I fail to see the legal connection.
Youtubers and Youtube don't have an employers contract.

The only added benefit I see in IGM is that they might have a lot of experience in fascilitating a meeting to try and achieve a consensus between youtubers and youtube.
Organizing a demonstration or strike..... don't see any point in that.
And sueing? on base of what?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs performance clutch
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I fail to see the legal connection.
Youtubers and Youtube don't have an employers contract.
Gotta love the self-entitled millennial "gig economy" way of thinking, where sitting in front of a computer screen posting crap videos is actually a real j-o-b in their minds. Ditto for the burger-flipper who thinks that he's worth $15/hour and is confused because he is employed by a franchise owner and not the actual McDonalds corporation. Driving for Uber/Lyft is not a j-o-b either, and those companies don't owe their "1099-life" contractors medical benefits and a pension plan. Don't even get me started on why a barista is worth $15/hour, because we used to call them "interns" in my office and they worked for free as well as making the coffee for everyone.

One little wildcard in their crazy unionization call is that YouTube is owned by Google, and we know how much the EU likes to find ways to fine them for billions of dollars.....
      08-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

Youtube is really only good for old music, and other older things for memory refresh/confirmation. For any new content whatsoever, it's an outrageous commercial riddled POS. You can't get through 2-3 minutes of content without two commercials forced on you that have to be watched for at least 5 seconds before you have the option to skip. There's no way in hell I'm paying them a monthly fee either to not see commercials, they can go to hell.

There are some good Youtubers out there who don't monetize/commercialize the crap out of their channel, but most of the self promoters do. I see one commercial, I remove the channel and never watch it again.
Appreciate 1
Delta03117190.50

08-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
yco
ignorance is bliss..
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10

packing off youtubers without a notice and lowering the rates as well was a rashly decision by youtube.. i was one of them.. it gives a better chance to some other platform to boom faster.. crowdsourcing dynamics are crazy.. cant imagine why poeple d pay for not seeing ads instead of using an ad blocker..
      08-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Yawn.

This seems like a one way ticket to absolutely nowhere to me. Though, I'm certainly no international business lawyer.
Appreciate 0