BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #133
MDORPHN
Colonel
260
Rep
2,911
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
yeah.. the barring dont look worn. also if they were i think they would still make noise regardless of the brace. right? wondering if my logic is right on that part. anyways, the insulation was just to isolate the noise. it didn't help at all.
The very same bolts that secure the strut brace likely also secure the camber plates.

If the camber plates were assembled or installed improperly, it would lead to the noise.

Does your shop regularly install and maintain adjustable camber plates?

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #134
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
The very same bolts that secure the strut brace likely also secure the camber plates.

If the camber plates were assembled or installed improperly, it would lead to the noise.

Does your shop regularly install and maintain adjustable camber plates?

Neil
yes they do. they are very familiar with Vorshlag camber plates. they are partially a race shop and do lots of setups for track and competitive racing. i trust their ability to install.

i just wonder if the camber plates (on the passenger side only) have an issue. also, my set up didn't come with rubber gaskets for the spring perches or adjusters... wonder if that is contributing somehow.

either way, with no brace on the noise is gone.
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #135
ayao
Thread killer
419
Rep
1,698
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
yes they do. they are very familiar with Vorshlag camber plates. they are partially a race shop and do lots of setups for track and competitive racing. i trust their ability to install.

i just wonder if the camber plates (on the passenger side only) have an issue. also, my set up didn't come with rubber gaskets for the spring perches or adjusters... wonder if that is contributing somehow.

either way, with no brace on the noise is gone.
The factory rubber spring isolator is supposed to be reused on the Vorshlag spring perch, FWIW.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showt...7314#post57314

Given that you took the plunge on coilovers to improve handling, seems like omitting the strut brace might compromise that goal...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #136
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
The factory rubber spring isolator is supposed to be reused on the Vorshlag spring perch, FWIW.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showt...7314#post57314

Given that you took the plunge on coilovers to improve handling, seems like omitting the strut brace might compromise that goal...
thanks for the link.
as for the handling and the strut brace, it shouldnt effect much. if anything it adds camber in corners when loaded which is good for handling. haha...actually this car won't be tracked so i really am not worried about it. just want it lower and stanced.
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #137
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jupiter, FL

iTrader: (27)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
Adding pics for reference: AST/Öhlins flexible rear adjusters. There are 2 lengths, these are the longer of the two.
Attached Images
 
__________________
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #138
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jupiter, FL

iTrader: (27)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
Pic 2
Attached Images
 
__________________
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #139
ayao
Thread killer
419
Rep
1,698
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Did you have a chance to compare the feel of these adjusters vs. the Ohlins? Wondering if the ASTs result in a more tactile click...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #140
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jupiter, FL

iTrader: (27)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
It is difficult to hear and feel the clicks, that is a disadvantage. I just did not want to cut the liners in this car.

I will try and dig up pics of
the liners from my old E82, as a made carpeted caps that fit over the access holes I cut. -looked OEM
__________________
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #141
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Update on my install...
so we removed the front struts and noticed that there wasnt a rubber top spring hat installed. so bought some new ones from ECS tuning and reinstalled. the suspension is now great. WITH the strut brace the car is quiet as a kitten. thank goodness for that
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #142
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
179
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jupiter, FL

iTrader: (27)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
Interesting, glad you were finally able to track done the problem. I have a similar issue, only I am running the ground-control street plates, I know the exact noise you are referring too...these camber plates are supposed to be quieter...well, that isn't the case. I bought the 1M kit new along w the plates and have given up on both companies for help. Maybe I'll switch back to Vorshlag, never had an issue w them on the last car.

Anyone else experiencing same problem w/ this setup? The kit was missing parts and directions were off as I noted w Öhlins so I wouldn't be surprised if It's probably something lame like a missing rubber isolator.
__________________
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #143
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Interesting, glad you were finally able to track done the problem. I have a similar issue, only I am running the ground-control street plates, I know the exact noise you are referring too...these camber plates are supposed to be quieter...well, that isn't the case. I bought the 1M kit new along w the plates and have given up on both companies for help. Maybe I'll switch back to Vorshlag, never had an issue w them on the last car.

Anyone else experiencing same problem w/ this setup? The kit was missing parts and directions were off as I noted w Öhlins so I wouldn't be surprised if It's probably something lame like a missing rubber isolator.
im glad i am not the only one with the issue... and yes now i am happier but i have noticed a very slight noise still. its there and i hear it but 99% people wouldn't notice. its just on that one side. ah well. i can live with it at this point. so if you figure out something different, let me know.
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #144
craina
Second Lieutenant
71
Rep
214
Posts

Drives: 1M - no more, '95 993 c2
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (1)

I have ground control plates on my OEM struts and they are not too noisy. Every now and again over a big bump or pothole they will chatter, I really have to be trying to hear it (windows down, no music). I have a TCK suspension w/ their camber plates (spherical bearing) on my e36 and they make a ton of noise. I think that is just part of having camber plates, you will have varying degrees of noise depending on the plate and application. I do hear that the vorschlag plates are supposed to make the least amount of noise but I have talked to users who dispute that.

Glad to hear that you guys have are finding a work around to reduce or eliminate the noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #145
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
I have ground control plates on my OEM struts and they are not too noisy. Every now and again over a big bump or pothole they will chatter, I really have to be trying to hear it (windows down, no music). I have a TCK suspension w/ their camber plates (spherical bearing) on my e36 and they make a ton of noise. I think that is just part of having camber plates, you will have varying degrees of noise depending on the plate and application. I do hear that the vorschlag plates are supposed to make the least amount of noise but I have talked to users who dispute that.

Glad to hear that you guys have are finding a work around to reduce or eliminate the noise.
well its interesting... i have always had Vorshlags on my street cars. on 3 of my M3s in the past and i have GC on my spec e30... with that being said, no noise from any of those cars. so this is the first time i have had an issue. really strange. however it is manageable now.
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #146
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2273
Rep
39,898
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
Interesting, glad you were finally able to track done the problem. I have a similar issue, only I am running the ground-control street plates, I know the exact noise you are referring too...these camber plates are supposed to be quieter...well, that isn't the case. I bought the 1M kit new along w the plates and have given up on both companies for help. Maybe I'll switch back to Vorshlag, never had an issue w them on the last car.

Anyone else experiencing same problem w/ this setup? The kit was missing parts and directions were off as I noted w Öhlins so I wouldn't be surprised if It's probably something lame like a missing rubber isolator.
Missing rubber isolator from the Ohlins kit? We typically do not install those anyway there at the shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #147
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Missing rubber isolator from the Ohlins kit? We typically do not install those anyway there at the shop.
that is what a lot of others were saying... however Ohlins recommended it if there was excess noise. see this pic:

https://europeanautosource.com/ohlin...er-system.html
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #148
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2273
Rep
39,898
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
that is what a lot of others were saying... however Ohlins recommended it if there was excess noise. see this pic:

https://europeanautosource.com/ohlin...er-system.html
are you referring to the front or the rear of the suspension? Front is transferred from the stock upper mounts when using camber plates.

Rear is supplied by Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #149
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
are you referring to the front or the rear of the suspension? Front is transferred from the stock upper mounts when using camber plates.

Rear is supplied by Ohlins.
the fronts. bought my kit used and it didn't have the front rubber from the stock pieces.
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #150
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2273
Rep
39,898
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
the fronts. bought my kit used and it didn't have the front rubber from the stock pieces.
The rubber isolator is on the OEM strut mounts, you need to transfer that over when using camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #151
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
The rubber isolator is on the OEM strut mounts, you need to transfer that over when using camber plates.
yes. if you read the last few posts you'd see i did do that.
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #152
HP Autosport
General
United_States
2273
Rep
39,898
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
yes. if you read the last few posts you'd see i did do that.
Then you shouldn't have any noise up front. Have a look at your camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #153
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
187
Rep
1,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Then you shouldn't have any noise up front. Have a look at your camber plates.
thanks... ill have to sort it out more but if anyone else figures out a fix let me know.
__________________

IG: blackmist27
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #154
obiwun
Private
obiwun's Avatar
4
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: AW(well very dirty) 1M
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia

iTrader: (0)

Tonight I just reinstalled my ohlins after having them revalved. I originally purchased the m3 kit and I was never completely happy with the ride. Now I have had the rear shocks revalved to the ohlins 1M spec also with the 1M 110lb rear springs. Initial impressions are good, the ride appears to be much better and the car more settled.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST