BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
jpascual
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i N54

Oil temps

Hey all please forgive the lack of knowledge but this is my first bimmer (135i N54) and having some oil temp issues. Just replaced water pump. Any suggestions for keeping my oil temps down? Oil cooler? Radiator? Anything helps. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
WilsoN55
N55 E82 DCT /// N57 F10 Daily <--
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55 E82 DCT /// N57 F10

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535Dx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpascual View Post
Hey all please forgive the lack of knowledge but this is my first bimmer (135i N54) and having some oil temp issues. Just replaced water pump. Any suggestions for keeping my oil temps down? Oil cooler? Radiator? Anything helps. Thanks in advance.
I have the N55 but we have the same oil cooler.. BMS makes an internal component that is super super easy to change, also MHD can adjust your cooling targets, after installing the BMS component I had to switch back to the stock cooling profile with MHD because I couldn't even get up to full temp.

edit link:

https://burgertuning.com/products/sp...l-cooler-valve
Appreciate 1
edycol1501.50
      12-08-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
What are oil temperature issues? What exact issue do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
jpascual
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
My oil temps fluctuate between 230-245 degrees. Looking for anything that can help drop those down 10-15 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
jpascual
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsoN55 View Post
Quote:
I have the N55 but we have the same oil cooler.. BMS makes an internal component that is super super easy to change, also MHD can adjust your cooling targets, after installing the BMS component I had to switch back to the stock cooling profile with MHD because I couldn't even get up to full temp.

edit link:

https://burgertuning.com/products/sp...l-cooler-valve
Is this a drop in fit? Or would there be mods needed? Looks promising.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
My oil temps fluctuate between 230-245 degrees. Looking for anything that can help drop those down 10-15 degrees.
Those are normal temperatures. You don't want temperature that low. Oil cooler thermostat opens at 230f.
Oil temperature must be above 212f, preferably 220-240.
Oil cooler is just there to maintain 230-260 (if possible) range. It is always good to have oil cooler, but don't worry about those oil temperatures. If you are not tracking car, forget it.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

For a month or so some time ago I put an OBDII to bluetooth on my my car and used an app called torque to create virtual gauges of parameters my car does not give me. I was surprised that the maximum coolant temperature occurred at steady cruise. Hard acceleration lowered the coolant temperature. BMW programs our cars to run hot because they get ever so slightly better mileage that way. I don't agree that higher oil temperature is a good thing but it is how our cars are set up to run and trying to change it will be more difficult than I would want to deal with. Better just to use good oil and change it more often than BMW requires.
      12-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
For a month or so some time ago I put an OBDII to bluetooth on my my car and used an app called torque to create virtual gauges of parameters my car does not give me. I was surprised that the maximum coolant temperature occurred at steady cruise. Hard acceleration lowered the coolant temperature. BMW programs our cars to run hot because they get ever so slightly better mileage that way. I don't agree that higher oil temperature is a good thing but it is how our cars are set up to run and trying to change it will be more difficult than I would want to deal with. Better just to use good oil and change it more often than BMW requires.
Oil temperature MUST be well above 212f. Oil is made to sustain much higher temperatures. The viscosity at those temperatures is what high revolution engines need. Additives in oil work best above 212f. Moisture in oil also has to evaporate as well as gas, especially in direct injection engines.
Basically, running any reputable oil temperatures 250-270f are not of an issue. I ran Mobil1 0W40 293f on track before DME cut it.
230-240f is what all cars run on. My Toyota Sienna minivan runs around 235f.
Appreciate 1