BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
Crazy Legs
Rep
Drives: 135i

Shredded Serpentine Belt, PS Pulley Issue... Need Advice

So as I was driving I heard a weird knocking sound coming from my engine bay, so I limped my car the rest of the way home. When I look under the hood, I see that my serpentine belt had started to shred with strands of belt wrapped around the alternator pulley and power steering pulley. I also noticed that the bolts on the power steering pulley were loose. I did some research and learned that this is a common issue for early model 135i's, and mine is a 2008.

So I order a new aluminum PS pulley and serpentine belt, but when I go to install the PS pulley I notice that 2/3 bolts are free spinning on the hub, and can be moved back and forth when screwed in halfway.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to salvage this issue? I really don't want to have to replace the entire power steering pump, since I haven't been having any squeal or steering issues. Based on the picture I took, do you think I could get away with getting longer bolts and using a nut to secure it behind the hub?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0