BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #1
ash6r
2010 BMW E82 135i N54 6MT
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i

Serperntine belt came off/shredded safe to drive 10 miles?

Hey guys, just wondering if its ok to drive my car around 6 miles to my garage to get my belt replaced.

Last night when i was driving back from work i lost power steering, ac and got a red battery warning light come up on my dash. As soon as that happened i pulled over to check what had happened(kept the engine running). I initally thought my tire blew or my suspension collapsaed or soemthing like that but the i realised my belt came off. I was still under two miles away from my house so i just drove it back slowly until i parked up. The engine seemed to be running fine except for it idling just under 1k. It usually idles around 600-700.

I thought i would just drive to my mechanic and get it fixed there. But then i started reading online how if the belt goes in to the engine it would be total engine failure and such. I coudlnt see if the belt fully came off or got shredded since it was dark. But since i was able to drive just under a two miles home maybe the bely just fully slipped off without getting stuck in the crank case? Should i just get the car towed to be safe or will it be okay for me to drive around 6 miles?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
Emanyankee
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i e82

I'd get it towed home or to the shop. Better safe than sorry.

Cost analysis of the risk:

Tow + serp belt + probably ofhg repair < new engine or the cost of new bottom end for just trying to drive it home or to the shop

Best of luck!

-E
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Absolutely tow it!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Don't drive it, but you should be able to replace the belt on the spot as long as there isn't any damage.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #5
ash6r
2010 BMW E82 135i N54 6MT
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i

Sorry been busy the last couple of weeks. Haven't had the chance to take the car to the garage. I will absolutely tow it. I was just wondering is it bad just letting the car sit like this for two weeks without getting it fixed? One of my friends told me I should have done it as soon as possible otherwise things would get worse. Surely if the car hasn't been started and driven it would be ok? I just thought the only thing I would have to worry about is getting a jump since the battery might have gone flat.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #6
akmandal
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Msport

Why would the car be damaged if it is not running? What could possibly be hurt if the car is not started at all after the belt tears? it's not a human body
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
Why would the car be damaged if it is not running? What could possibly be hurt if the car is not started at all after the belt tears? it's not a human body
The OP was asking specifically if it was okay to drive 6 miles home after this incident happened. He said that he was driving when he saw warning lights. That means the serpentine belt let go while the engine was running. If shredded pieces of belt and wire are inside his block he absolutely needs to avoid driving it until he can be 100% sure.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #8
akmandal
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
The OP was asking specifically if it was okay to drive 6 miles home after this incident happened. He said that he was driving when he saw warning lights. That means the serpentine belt let go while the engine was running. If shredded pieces of belt and wire are inside his block he absolutely needs to avoid driving it until he can be 100% sure.
No. Read his last post:
"I was just wondering is it bad just letting the car sit like this for two weeks without getting it fixed? One of my friends told me I should have done it as soon as possible otherwise things would get worse. Surely if the car hasn't been started and driven it would be ok?"
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmandal View Post
No. Read his last post:
"I was just wondering is it bad just letting the car sit like this for two weeks without getting it fixed? One of my friends told me I should have done it as soon as possible otherwise things would get worse. Surely if the car hasn't been started and driven it would be ok?"
Gotcha, now it makes sense. Other than his battery dying, it shouldn't "make anything worse."

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #10
taslaughtery
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 128i, 63 Beetle, 68 Type 3

Just pop the hood and check the belt. If it's in one piece what harm could it cause pulling it out and driving to the shop? It may even be the tensioner failed. How exactly would bits of the belt end up inside the crankcase?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #11
taslaughtery
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 128i, 63 Beetle, 68 Type 3

Found another thread and I didn't realize on the N54/5 there is history of the belt being pulled into the front main seal... ridiculous. Hopefully the belt is whole.
Appreciate 0