BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #1
OUGrad05
Captain
314
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Good EV options?? MachE, Ioniq5, i4...

Not sure if this should go in the non-BMW section or here in the general cars discussion since I'm also considering BMW but thought I'd ask here and mods can move if they desire.

I'm kicking around the idea of picking an EV this year. There are some really good options coming to market the next couple of months. Kia's EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, BMW i4 e40 and the Mustang Mach E are all really good options.

The BMW seems to have a few compromises that seem odd/annoying but overall I have no doubt it's the best built of the bunch.

Polestar options are interesting but range is crap which is unfortunate. The rest of the packages are compelling.

I've got level 2 charging capability in my garage. I put in two drops when we built so that shouldn't be a problem.

Distinct pro's/con's on each of the above. Frankly the Hyundai/Kia family is super compelling assuming they are comfortable and quiet. 800v charging, reasonable prices and strong warranty.

Mustang also compelling, great range, well built, strong dealer network.

BMW best built, looks great, likely very comfy based on my past history with BMW seats. But more expensive, not sure about warranty yet and will my dealer (only dealer in town) be difficult to work with?

Any thoughts? Comments? Am I missing any options? Would welcome any insight you guys have.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2015 Lexus RX
2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
TAZ007's Avatar
1608
Rep
2,638
Posts

Drives: 2021 Z4 M40
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [0.00]
You might consider waiting a year or two. I understand BMW will be doing a I5 and I7/8.

Added to that will be more OEMs introducing their own EVs like GM with the Silverado in 23
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:46 PM   #3
OUGrad05
Captain
314
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
You might consider waiting a year or two. I understand BMW will be doing a I5 and I7/8.

Added to that will be more OEMs introducing their own EVs like GM with the Silverado in 23
Yeah, I've thought about that to be honest. But I keep kicking the can on buying and have been doing so for 2 years now. Not interested in a truck, so I don't really care about GM's offerings. Want a sedan or small SUV. I5 is intriguing if we get the unveiling soon. I'd entertain waiting if it looks strong enough.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2015 Lexus RX
2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
Amazinjoey
Private
22
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: BMW 320Dx 2013
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Polestar 2, amazing car, pretty good price and amazing tech!
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2022, 04:40 PM   #5
OUGrad05
Captain
314
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazinjoey View Post
Polestar 2, amazing car, pretty good price and amazing tech!
Range seems to be crap from what I can find though. Do you have some personal experience with the car? I admit I do like them but I think I need more than 200 miles of usable range.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2015 Lexus RX
2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2766
Rep
3,981
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Not sure if this should go in the non-BMW section or here in the general cars discussion since I'm also considering BMW but thought I'd ask here and mods can move if they desire.

I'm kicking around the idea of picking an EV this year. There are some really good options coming to market the next couple of months. Kia's EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, BMW i4 e40 and the Mustang Mach E are all really good options.

The BMW seems to have a few compromises that seem odd/annoying but overall I have no doubt it's the best built of the bunch.

Polestar options are interesting but range is crap which is unfortunate. The rest of the packages are compelling.

I've got level 2 charging capability in my garage. I put in two drops when we built so that shouldn't be a problem.

Distinct pro's/con's on each of the above. Frankly the Hyundai/Kia family is super compelling assuming they are comfortable and quiet. 800v charging, reasonable prices and strong warranty.

Mustang also compelling, great range, well built, strong dealer network.

BMW best built, looks great, likely very comfy based on my past history with BMW seats. But more expensive, not sure about warranty yet and will my dealer (only dealer in town) be difficult to work with?

Any thoughts? Comments? Am I missing any options? Would welcome any insight you guys have.
Where are you located? What kind of driving do you do? Do you like to drive fast or do you like to relax and enjoy the scenery when you drive? Do you have a long commute? Given the way you drive, what kind of range do you require/desire before having to recharge?

The more information you give us, the better the advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #7
X5-G05-45e
Enlisted Member
17
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 45e
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Traverse City, MI

iTrader: (0)

The current EV state is the reason I have a X5 45e (week 5 build) on order. It will get my feet wet in the EV world with the bonus of the BMW inline 6 cylinder engine for the longer trips. In a year or two I can see what is available and see real world reviews and maybe get a full electric car.

The EV market is still young and there are many models coming out in the next couple of years.

My $0.02
Appreciate 3
      01-17-2022, 07:52 PM   #8
OUGrad05
Captain
314
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Where are you located? What kind of driving do you do? Do you like to drive fast or do you like to relax and enjoy the scenery when you drive? Do you have a long commute? Given the way you drive, what kind of range do you require/desire before having to recharge?

The more information you give us, the better the advice.
I drive 30 miles each way to work, basically no traffic, 90% highway at 80mph. Some days I come back into the city from my office. These days I typically drive 140ish miles vs 70 on a normal day. I'd say that's on average 2 days a week. Once or twice a month I may drive to Tulsa which is about 110 miles. I could do some charging there if needed or take my wife's new MDX, so I'm less concerned about those days and more concerned about longevity and not draining a battery 80% a couple days a week.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2015 Lexus RX
2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #9
TAZ007
Colonel
TAZ007's Avatar
1608
Rep
2,638
Posts

Drives: 2021 Z4 M40
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Yeah, I've thought about that to be honest. But I keep kicking the can on buying and have been doing so for 2 years now. Not interested in a truck, so I don't really care about GM's offerings. Want a sedan or small SUV. I5 is intriguing if we get the unveiling soon. I'd entertain waiting if it looks strong enough.
I would have said that the wait may be worth it until the charging infrastructure is in place in the next 3-5 years, but since you run on average 70 miles a day with two days twice that average; a 200-230 mile range is adequate since you are charging every night at home. I understand the range anxiety, but it may be due to the infrastructure not being in place yet. Based on your given responses, the I4 may be a good choice. The M50 version is estimated at 230 mile range but then again BMW is conservative in their performance numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 08:37 PM   #10
Caravaggio
Major General
2501
Rep
5,332
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Been seeing a black on black VW id4 around town. The more I see it the more I think it's one of the prettiest designed SUV's.

https://jalopnik.com/the-volkswagen-...day-1848357725
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
AlexFL6580.00
      01-17-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
20273
Rep
7,977
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Been seeing a black on black VW id4 around town. The more I see it the more I think it's one of the prettiest designed SUV's.

https://jalopnik.com/the-volkswagen-...day-1848357725
I do not hate the way the iD4 looks but also not in love with it either.

That being said, the iD4 has to be one of the most infuriating new vehicles on sale.

Jason Cammisa pretty much summed up my thoughts on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cammisa
Verdict VW id4: Ferdinand PiŽch is spinning in his grave.

This shitheap is what happens when the timecard-punching imbeciles are given the keys to the car-company castle. Had PiŽch lived to see this, the homicide rate in Wolfsburg would have had a dramatic spike when the id4 launched.

Am I being harsh? Yes, but remember the BMW E65 7-series (catastrophe); the W220 S-Class (Dodge Neon-quality POS) or the í08 WRX (an insult to its own brand.)

This is one of those moments.

Does the thing drive ok? Sure: VW has built hundreds of millions of cars. Surely theyíve learned a thing or two. Itís fine.

But from the cartoon styling to the disasterous UX, its gimmick-to-function factor is the inverse of what VW has been since its genesis.

The well-documented lack of rear window controls and non-illuminated controls are just the beginning.

The gauges and shifter are a craptastic version of the BMW i3's, which were laughable a decade ago. See slide 10 for the full range of display customization 🤦*♂️

You canít adjust the driver aids while moving.

I almost threw a brick through the fucking window when it wouldnít open its door on a hill unless I pushed *as* it was unlatching.

The ratís nest under the hood tells us everything we need to know.

An all-new, from-the-ground-up platform should not need visible reinforcements. This scares me ó where else did VW skimp?

Add up the negative space up front, itíd make a big frunk. There isnít one tells us that the teams at VW worked against each other, not for the good of the whole.

Disclosure: I own an e-Golf. Itís everything a VW should be (with exception of range.) Quick, well-crafted, gimmick-free, efficient, handles well, easy to use, and packed full of features that make daily life easier.

No gimmicks, unlike this. VWs should earn you respect from grownups; not be rolling cartoons of poor design.

This thing is a comicbook joke. Iíd only recommend buying one is because IONIQ 5 isnít available yet and you need something to ram into a tree for fun. Given the visible reinforcements up front, Iím not sure Iíd recommend actually being in the id4 for the impact.

Man, does it miss the mark.
__________________
Current Garage: 2022 Mercedes-Benz S 580 / 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 / 2005 BMW X3 3.0i / 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Retired: '95 E36 325i 5MT / '04 E46 330i 6MT / '11 E90 335xi / '17 G30 540i / '19 F87 M2C 6MT / '19 MB CLS 53 / '20 MB GLC 300
Appreciate 4
      01-17-2022, 11:21 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
7968
Rep
5,395
Posts

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

So many different brands and price points...

Just test drive each if you can. Of that list I'd imagine the i4 or Mach E are more fun to drive.
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 08:56 AM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
2766
Rep
3,981
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
I drive 30 miles each way to work, basically no traffic, 90% highway at 80mph. Some days I come back into the city from my office. These days I typically drive 140ish miles vs 70 on a normal day. I'd say that's on average 2 days a week. Once or twice a month I may drive to Tulsa which is about 110 miles. I could do some charging there if needed or take my wife's new MDX, so I'm less concerned about those days and more concerned about longevity and not draining a battery 80% a couple days a week.
Helpful information. If you want one soon, forget the BMW. The I4 won't be available for a while. Sounds like you are basically commuting. If the Ioniq 5 is available, I would go for that one. Otherwise the Ford looks like a good choice.

Interesting that you didn't mention Tesla. My problem with Tesla is that the S is old technology and I won't buy a car where I have to look down and to the side to see how fast I am going so the 3 and Y are out. A $1,500 HUD option would make the Tesla 3 and Y a lot more interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:46 PM   #14
OUGrad05
Captain
314
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
I drive 30 miles each way to work, basically no traffic, 90% highway at 80mph. Some days I come back into the city from my office. These days I typically drive 140ish miles vs 70 on a normal day. I'd say that's on average 2 days a week. Once or twice a month I may drive to Tulsa which is about 110 miles. I could do some charging there if needed or take my wife's new MDX, so I'm less concerned about those days and more concerned about longevity and not draining a battery 80% a couple days a week.
Helpful information. If you want one soon, forget the BMW. The I4 won't be available for a while. Sounds like you are basically commuting. If the Ioniq 5 is available, I would go for that one. Otherwise the Ford looks like a good choice.

Interesting that you didn't mention Tesla. My problem with Tesla is that the S is old technology and I won't buy a car where I have to look down and to the side to see how fast I am going so the 3 and Y are out. A $1,500 HUD option would make the Tesla 3 and Y a lot more interesting.
I have several issues with Tesla but my opinions usually spark outrage from the Tesla crew so I keep them to myself now for the most part.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2015 Lexus RX
2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Appreciate 2
Germanauto7968.00
      01-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #15
FCX5
Colonel
FCX5's Avatar
United_States
1531
Rep
2,021
Posts

Drives: X5 50i
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Not sure if this should go in the non-BMW section or here in the general cars discussion since I'm also considering BMW but thought I'd ask here and mods can move if they desire.

I'm kicking around the idea of picking an EV this year. There are some really good options coming to market the next couple of months. Kia's EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, BMW i4 e40 and the Mustang Mach E are all really good options.

The BMW seems to have a few compromises that seem odd/annoying but overall I have no doubt it's the best built of the bunch.

Polestar options are interesting but range is crap which is unfortunate. The rest of the packages are compelling.

I've got level 2 charging capability in my garage. I put in two drops when we built so that shouldn't be a problem.

Distinct pro's/con's on each of the above. Frankly the Hyundai/Kia family is super compelling assuming they are comfortable and quiet. 800v charging, reasonable prices and strong warranty.

Mustang also compelling, great range, well built, strong dealer network.

BMW best built, looks great, likely very comfy based on my past history with BMW seats. But more expensive, not sure about warranty yet and will my dealer (only dealer in town) be difficult to work with?

Any thoughts? Comments? Am I missing any options? Would welcome any insight you guys have.
We have a Model Y Performance and it's a great DD. We're also getting an iX this year. EVs make excellent DDs IMHO
Appreciate 1
OUGrad05314.00
      01-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #16
bayarea328xit
First Lieutenant
United_States
351
Rep
361
Posts

Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
You might consider waiting a year or two. I understand BMW will be doing a I5 and I7/8.

Added to that will be more OEMs introducing their own EVs like GM with the Silverado in 23
This is great advice. We did 2 lease transfers of i3 REX (1 year each) to see how it would fit our needs. After 2 years, we ordered an i3s BEV since we did not use the gas engine enough to justify carrying it around all the time. Additionally, the range increased quite a bit on our 2019 i3s.

The EV market is changing so quickly now; I'd be worried about getting something now only to see something that fits you much better in a year or two.

My advice would be to do a lease transfer for an EV and try it out for a year - if you like it, chances are that you'll have a better sense of what will work best for you in the long run.

We'll need another vehicle in 6-9 months. My plan is to wait and buy one (possibly an EV) towards the end of this year or early next year.

Note: VW is reworking the iD4 based on the initial (strong negative) feedback. This is yet another reason to wait - it will take some time for manufacturers to figure out how to address issues that come up in the first few years of production.

Last edited by bayarea328xit; 01-21-2022 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Added note re VW iD4.
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #17
chris719
Major General
5200
Rep
5,369
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUGrad05 View Post
Any thoughts? Comments? Am I missing any options? Would welcome any insight you guys have.
My thought is that Tesla is the only brand with a really good charging network and I wouldn't buy a non-Tesla EV at this time because of that. If it's not important to you, then no problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:20 PM   #18
davidvan05
New Member
29
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2008 m3
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Prospect Heights. IL

iTrader: (0)

Tesla is basically on their third and soon fourth iteration of electronic cars. These other manufactures are on their first and maybe second iteration so longevity and updates may be questionable. . I'd recommend you to drive them all before making a decision. It would be a disservice to yourself if you don't drive the model 3 performance because it's the best bang for the buck.

I drive a model 3 performance so I'm biased but it's the best fun daily driver imho.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #19
OUGrad05
Captain
314
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2010 Corvette, 2015 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvan05 View Post
Tesla is basically on their third and soon fourth iteration of electronic cars. These other manufactures are on their first and maybe second iteration so longevity and updates may be questionable. . I'd recommend you to drive them all before making a decision. It would be a disservice to yourself if you don't drive the model 3 performance because it's the best bang for the buck.

I drive a model 3 performance so I'm biased but it's the best fun daily driver imho.
I've driven one, good friend of mine had an M3 performance. Another guy I worked with for a bit had a M3 long range. A couple neighbors had P100D and P90Ds.
__________________
2015 335i M-Sport
2015 Lexus RX
2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #20
TAZ007
Colonel
TAZ007's Avatar
1608
Rep
2,638
Posts

Drives: 2021 Z4 M40
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
This is great advice. We did 2 lease transfers of i3 REX (1 year each) to see how it would fit our needs. After 2 years, we ordered an i3s BEV since we did not use the gas engine enough to justify carrying it around all the time. Additionally, the range increased quite a bit on our 2019 i3s.

The EV market is changing so quickly now; I'd be worried about getting something now only to see something that fits you much better in a year or two.

My advice would be to do a lease transfer for an EV and try it out for a year - if you like it, chances are that you'll have a better sense of what will work best for you in the long run.

We'll need another vehicle in 6-9 months. My plan is to wait and buy one (possibly an EV) towards the end of this year or early next year.

Note: VW is reworking the iD4 based on the initial (strong negative) feedback. This is yet another reason to wait - it will take some time for manufacturers to figure out how to address issues that come up in the first few years of production.
Thanks. A lease may work for some but unsure on the prices over the next few years with the lithium shortage being touted. That may just price EVs out of the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:59 PM   #21
bayarea328xit
First Lieutenant
United_States
351
Rep
361
Posts

Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Thanks. A lease may work for some but unsure on the prices over the next few years with the lithium shortage being touted. That may just price EVs out of the market.
Agreed. In our case, we were very uncertain that an EV (even with a back up gas engine) would work for us. So, it made sense. It helped that some of the available leased cars had great terms (low payments).

If I'm on the fence re EV or wanted to try it out, I'd be willing to pay a premium (higher than expected lease payment) to "test drive" a lease assumption EV for 6-9 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #22
MaC-N54-E82
N54 Lover
MaC-N54-E82's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
229
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

Added a Volvo XC40 Recharge to our fleet in late 2021. Given your typical commute, combined with having a level 2 charger in your garage the 225 mile range of the Volvo or Polestar should not be a concern. The Build quality on both was several steps ahead of Tesla and other competing brands. We chose the Volvo over the Polestar as the wife wanted a higher driving position and the polestar dealer was in Portland. Before you dismiss either based on range I encourage you to drive both. I was blown away by both and could not wait for delivery after the initial test drive. The ownership experience has been fantastic.
__________________
MAC
2008 N54 E82|AW over CR
Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Comfort Access
BMW PE|COBB Tuned|M3 FSB|Michelin PS4S|
B12 Pro-Kit|M3 Rear Subframe Bushings|Black Line Taillights
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST