05-03-2021, 01:18 AM   #1
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' E82 1M, 17' F80 M3

The road to my 1M

Hey all:

Just want to share with you all about how I found/got/modified my 1M, more of a blog/journal as it's an ongoing process.

So a bit of background about myself and the cars I had. I have been a BMW fan for as long as I can remember, like many of you I have had my share of BMWs either as project car/summer car or just as a daily.

My first BMW was an M235i, then to an X1 daily, then my first build was an F80 M3, then to an X3 M40i, back to an X1 with the newest addition of 2012 euro spec 1M.

If you are curious to my M3 build, you can see it in the links below.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1546113
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1490282

Now as for my 1M, I wasn't actively seeking one to be honest. One day I was looking through auto trader and trying to see what my next project car should be, this 1M popped up. It is located in Richmond, BC, all black, previous owner put a carbon roof, side mirror caps and diffuser on it already, along with a full Akra system (w/o DP), fairly low mileage at 74xxx KM on it. (Pictures below)

So long story short I contacted Porsche Richmond where the car was located and wanted to chat more about it as it was a 2012 euro spec 1M rather than 2011, which also piqued my interest even more. Spoke with Tony the who was super helpful on Thurs of that week and decided to buy the car on the following Sat.

Since the car was located in Richmond, BC we ended up using Hansens for shipping. Before the car is being shipped (scheduled for May 11th), I wanted to get the dashcam installed as well as the tint done, so dashcam was a no brainer, went with blackboxmycar.ca since they are located in Richmond, had them install the dual dash cam as well as the battery pack and found a local company in Richmond to do the nanoceramic tint for the car as well.

I also have some more work that I want to get done over the next few years to make the car even better but it will come in stages as I want to not only enjoy the car but find out for myself what I like and don't like and make the adjustments accordingly.

So far my list includes the following, as I mentioned before, this will be done in stages, and if you guys are selling any of the parts, please feel free to let me know because I haven't bought most of the parts just yet.

Also, I will include some pictures of the car now and will update you guys with info and pictures as the build starts/continues.

Of course, any comments, constructive criticism and questions are always welcome and I'll do my best to reply back as soon as possible

Electronics:
  • Bavsound Ghost BMW Underseat Subwoofers V2 & Stage One BMW Speaker Upgrade - Performance One, Richmond, BC
  • BMW Retrofit Cluster E8x (ID4MOTION GAUGE CLUSTERS) - customdigitalgauges.com
  • OEM Replacement 10.25″ Screen & Backup Camera - 4x4shop.ca, Toronto, ON
  • Thinkware Q800PRO 2K QHD Dual Channel Dash Cam Bundle & Extended Battery Pack - blackboxmycar.ca, Richmond, BC

Exterior:
  • BMW Floating Wheel Center Cap Set (Gloss Black) - IND Distribution
  • BMW Hood Roundel (Gloss Black) - IND Distribution
  • BMW Trunk Roundel (Gloss Black) - IND Distribution
  • Ceramic Pro - Full car done by the previous owner
  • CF Front Grill - RW Carbon
  • CF Hood - Raze (Undecided)
  • CF LED Side Marker (Gloss black with dark tint) - IND Distribution/NVD
  • CF Rear Diffuser - From previous owner/Raze
  • CF Roof - From previous owner/Raze
  • CF Spoiler - RW Carbon
  • CF Side Skirts - SleK or Raze (Undecided)
  • CF Trunk - SleK (Undecided)
  • E82 E88 LCI 1 Series Round Ring Retrofit - Bayoptiks
  • Powdercoat Rims & Calipers - Undecided
  • Windows (llumar CTX NANOCERAMIC 30% - front, 15% - rear & llumar air 80 NANOCERAMIC - windshield) - Strictly Autotint, Richmond, BC

Interior:
  • BMW E9X M3 Limited Edition Ignition Switch, Gloss Black With Red Start Button - IND Distribution
  • BMW Performance Recaro - amx-performance.com
  • BMW OEM 1M Leather Shift Knob & Boot - BMW London
  • CF AC Control Panel - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Ashtray Lid - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Center Armrest - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Center Console - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Front Ashtray Panel - nvdautosport.com
  • CF HandBrake Lever - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Interior Center Air Con Vent - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Interior Central Control Unit Panel - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Interior Door Handle - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Interior Door Switch Panels - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Interior Rear Storage Tray - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Interior Side Air Con Vents - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Interior Steering Wheel Columns - nvdautosport.com
  • CF Radio Control Panel - nvdautosport.com
  • Steering Wheel Alcantara/Perforated Leather/Orange Stripe & Stitching - azaautowheel.com

Suspension & Breaks:
  • Dinan BBK - Dinan (Undecided)
  • Dinan Racing Toe Links - Dinan
  • Dinan Lightweight Tubular Anti-Roll Bar - Dinan
  • Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit - Dinan
  • Ohlins E82 1M Coilover Suspension (Road & Track) - Ohlins

Under the hood:
  • BMS Billet BMW Clutch Valve - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • BMS Dual Cone Performance Intake for N54 BMW - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • BMS N54 High Flow Silicone Inlets - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • BMS N54 Replacement PCV Valve - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • BMS Short Throw Clutch Stop - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • BMS Turbo Double Baffle Oil Catch Can - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • BMW Tuner/Active Autowerke BOV Kit With Charge Pipe - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler System - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • JB4 BMW Performance Tuner
  • NGK 97506 "2 Step Colder" Spark Plug - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • VRSF 3″ Cast Stainless Steel Catless Downpipes V2 N54 - Park Auto Motorsports, Kitchener, ON
  • VRSF Performance 5” Stepped HD Intercooler FMIC Upgrade Kit
Attached Images

Last edited by dzhou102684; 05-07-2021 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 03:33 AM   #2
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Congrats on the purchase ! looks to have the right mods too .

Love the wheels !
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you very much, I'm still on the fence about the colour, as I mentioned, might powder coat them to black or even trade with someone who has black wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
Congrats on the purchase ! looks to have the right mods too .

Love the wheels !
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Subscribed to follow this epic build! Congratulations on your purchase buddy. Can’t wait to see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you buddy, looking forward to meeting up sometime in the near future as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Subscribed to follow this epic build! Congratulations on your purchase buddy. Can’t wait to see it.
Appreciate 1
-cj-198.00
      05-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

So how did a Euro Spec 1M make it into Canada ?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
From what I heard that the original owner had connections with bmw in the states, got it as a US car but still in km gauges and etc and then brought it over to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhou102684 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
From what I heard that the original owner had connections with bmw in the states, got it as a US car but still in km gauges and etc and then brought it over to Canada.
Circuitous path since Canadian 1Ms have KM Celsius clusters and US delivered cars have to have Miles Fahrenheit ones. This sounds like Canadian car. Euro car has white blinkers. It's easy to check. Put VIn in vin decoder and it will tell you if North American spec which includes Canada. Also North American specs have decal under hood on drivers side that says conforms to US EPA standards. I don't think those came in true euro cars
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

That rear diffusor is most likely Revozport. Probably the roof as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yep, I wouldn't be suprised if the roof was from Revozport, but on the diffuser it does have the M Performance logo, which I didn't know they produced a matt carbon fiber version.

Matte CF looks good and all, but I am planning on reverting back to gloss carbon, just easier to match parts with IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKnvl View Post
That rear diffusor is most likely Revozport. Probably the roof as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #11
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the heads up, this is what I found when comparing the VIN to the "Official BMW 1M Registry" thread on the forum and also http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

My VIN is WBSUR9101CVS63169, so according to the thread and http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi, it breaks down as the following

W = GERMANY, country manufactured
B = BMW, car manufacturer code
S = ///M, Vehicle type/division
UR910 = Feature/attributes
1 = VIN accuracy 'check digit'
C = Model year, this would be 'B' on all USA/CAN 1M models
V = Assembly plant code
S63169 = Sequence of vehicle production as it rolled off the assembly line. The last 4 always numeric.

Chassis number VS63169
Vehicle code UR91
Series E82
Model M Coupe
Body type coupe
Catalog model ECE
Production date 2011 / 08
Engine N54T
Transmission Unknown
Steering Left
Catalyzer YES

So I can only assume from this that it is a euro spec 1M, thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Circuitous path since Canadian 1Ms have KM Celsius clusters and US delivered cars have to have Miles Fahrenheit ones. This sounds like Canadian car. Euro car has white blinkers. It's easy to check. Put VIn in vin decoder and it will tell you if North American spec which includes Canada. Also North American specs have decal under hood on drivers side that says conforms to US EPA standards. I don't think those came in true euro cars
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, this is what I found when comparing the VIN to the "Official BMW 1M Registry" thread on the forum and also http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

My VIN is WBSUR9101CVS63169, so according to the thread and http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi, it breaks down as the following

W = GERMANY, country manufactured
B = BMW, car manufacturer code
S = ///M, Vehicle type/division
UR910 = Feature/attributes
1 = VIN accuracy 'check digit'
C = Model year, this would be 'B' on all USA/CAN 1M models
V = Assembly plant code
S63169 = Sequence of vehicle production as it rolled off the assembly line. The last 4 always numeric.

Chassis number VS63169
Vehicle code UR91
Series E82
Model M Coupe
Body type coupe
Catalog model ECE
Production date 2011 / 08
Engine N54T
Transmission Unknown
Steering Left
Catalyzer YES

So I can only assume from this that it is a euro spec 1M, thoughts?

Quote:
Ok here at my thoughts. My 1M is Canadian and was manufactured 8/2011 same as yours and it's a 2011 model year. It could be possible that mine was august 1 and yours august 31 made it 2012 but a vin decoder says it's a 2011. Next is that it has a US radio which is what US and Canadian cars get. Europe has a different radio. Next it has a warning triangle which is only put on European cars and Euro delivery cars. So my educated guess is that you have a 2011 Canadian 1M that was Euro Delivery. The only thing that makes it Euro Spec is the warning triangle but that was required on all US and Canadian cars so they could be driven in Europe for 30 days before being shipped to US. If you open the drivers door you will see the manufacturer decal will have a logo in the shape of a maple leaf. Also under the hood near the drivers side it should have a US EPA decal that says it conforms to US LEV standards for 2011 model year unless the hood has been replaced. So it is really a Euro Delivery spec not a European spec. The radio is different, decals and turn signals different on real European spec cars.

Take a pic of the decal on the drivers door and look for a Maple Leaf shape. Here is a picture of mine. Notice the CMVSS Decal in the shape of a Maple Leaf. Also, Euro deliver cars are in fact registered for 30 days in Germany and you get one of these along with plates but this is a temporary registration in case you received on of these as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 05-03-2021 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #13
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That makes a lot of sense, very much appreciated. I'll be sure to take a few pics of the manufacturer decal once I get it later on this month!

Quote:
Ok here at my thoughts. My 1M is Canadian and was manufactured 8/2011 same as yours and it's a 2011 model year. It could be possible that mine was august 1 and yours august 31 made it 2012 but a vin decoder says it's a 2011. Next is that it has a US radio which is what US and Canadian cars get. Europe has a different radio. Next it has a warning triangle which is only put on European cars and Euro delivery cars. So my educated guess is that you have a 2011 Canadian 1M that was Euro Delivery. The only thing that makes it Euro Spec is the warning triangle but that was required on all US and Canadian cars so they could be driven in Europe for 30 days before being shipped to US. If you open the drivers door you will see the manufacturer decal will have a logo in the shape of a maple leaf. Also under the hood near the drivers side it should have a US EPA decal that says it conforms to US LEV standards for 2011 model year unless the hood has been replaced. So it is really a Euro Delivery spec not a European spec. The radio is different, decals and turn signals different. Take a pic of the decal on the drivers door and look for a Maple Leaf shape. Here is a picture of mine. Notice the CMVSS Decal in the shape of a Maple Leaf. Also, Euro deliver decals are in fact registered for 30 days in Germany and you get one of these along with plates but this is a temporary registration in case you received on of these as well.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      05-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #14
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Mine, also originally Canadian, has the same maple leaf decal as Nacho's, and the safety triangle. I read somewhere that the US cars delivered in Europe get the safety triangle while in Europe but that it is removed at the port before the car is delivered to the customer in the US. In Canada, apparently, the safety triangle remains on the inside of the trunk lid.

My car also has a decal with the number 4 in the center on the passenger side of the windshield. I think that this was some kind of temporary permit for motoring in Germany or in Munich, and it was kindly left on the windshield by the former owner, and hence still on my car.

I am not personally a huge fan of car mods, and I think that with a 1M especially, they do not increase the value and may in fact reduce it. People willing to pay this much for a 10 year old 1M are more like to prefer stock than modded. I would keep that in mind before adding anything else to the car unless you plan to keep it forever or don't care about it's value, in which case do whatever you like.
      05-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Mine, also originally Canadian, has the same maple leaf decal as Nacho's, and the safety triangle. I read somewhere that the US cars delivered in Europe get the safety triangle while in Europe but that it is removed at the port before the car is delivered to the customer in the US. In Canada, apparently, the safety triangle remains on the inside of the trunk lid.

My car also has a decal with the number 4 in the center on the passenger side of the windshield. I think that this was some kind of temporary permit for motoring in Germany or in Munich, and it was kindly left on the windshield by the former owner, and hence still on my car.

I am not personally a huge fan of car mods, and I think that with a 1M especially, they do not increase the value and may in fact reduce it. People willing to pay this much for a 10 year old 1M are more like to prefer stock than modded. I would keep that in mind before adding anything else to the car unless you plan to keep it forever or don't care about it's value, in which case do whatever you like.
yes, the green zone 4 decal in the windshield is required to drive in Germany. Zone 4 is Munich area. Mine had here in the US as well. I kept the warning triangle in my suitcase and reinstalled it in the US so it wouldn't be removed in port.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #16
DönerPorsche
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 323ci, BMW 325xi, BMW 135i

Quote:
yes, the green zone 4 decal in the windshield is required to drive in Germany. Zone 4 is Munich area. Mine had here in the US as well. I kept the warning triangle in my suitcase and reinstalled it in the US so it wouldn't be removed in port.
The green placard is only required if you are driving in a German city with emissions requirements (which are most German cities). If you stay outside of the city, a red or yellow placard will do as well. Usually the red or yellow emissions placards are placed on older diesel vehicles which don't meet the current emissions norm, but can still be driven on Autobahn and outside of the city. The numbers on the placard only correspond to the emissions class not a specific area/zone. Old-timers and historical cars are exempt from this rule.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      05-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #17
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I do agree with the mods comment, as it does come down to a personal taste, I do plan to keep the car long term, hence why all the mods. I am also someone who keeps all of the original parts, so if I do need to make it stock again then the option will be there.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #18
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I wouldn't be suprised if the roof was from Revozport, but on the diffuser it does have the M Performance logo, which I didn't know they produced a matt carbon fiber version.

Matte CF looks good and all, but I am planning on reverting back to gloss carbon, just easier to match parts with IMO.
I'm pretty sure that there was never an M performance Rear diffusor for our car. Are the fins separate pieces that are screwed into the main plate? Are there 2 rectangle square holes that are "vents?" And also, is that a second piece to the diffusor that attached to near the rear sub? If so, it's either a Revo, or a knock off of the Revo
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #19
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

See, that's what I thought as well, but I have attached a few more pictures, either way the rear diffuser is pretty beat up so might have to get it replaced anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKnvl View Post
I'm pretty sure that there was never an M performance Rear diffusor for our car. Are the fins separate pieces that are screwed into the main plate? Are there 2 rectangle square holes that are "vents?" And also, is that a second piece to the diffusor that attached to near the rear sub? If so, it's either a Revo, or a knock off of the Revo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:21 AM   #20
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

M or no, kind of gaudy in my personal opinion.
      05-04-2021, 04:25 AM   #21
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep

Quote:
See, that's what I thought as well, but I have attached a few more pictures, either way the rear diffuser is pretty beat up so might have to get it replaced anyways.
Definitely Revozport. Someone probably stuck a M stick on that part. My Revozport sticker fell off mine as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:01 AM   #22
dzhou102684
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It's also pretty beat up so I will be looking for a new one soon.

Quote:
M or no, kind of gaudy in my personal opinion.
Appreciate 0