BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #67
HelloNewman
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
This is a truly frustrating problem with these cars and is the reason I took my car to the dealer for the battery replacement despite doing most work myself. I envisioned a family member unknowingly closing the trunk while I was taking a break and that was all it took to make the $95 labor charge worthwhile.
Yeah it's probably worth the money, I've done it twice before with no issues I just goofed this time.
      11-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #68
HelloNewman
Rep
Drives: M3

Update for anyone wondering. I used a Ryobi remote camera (like one used for inspecting a drain) attached to a piece of metal rod and used it to pull the emergency trunk release. I made an access hole by removing the bottom seat cushion and side cushion on the back seat. It gives you a small hole which you can finagle your way through to open the trunk. Overall not too difficult but it's a bit ridiculous ou have to go through this due to BMW's stupidity wrt design.
      11-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #69
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Easy solution… go ahead and remove the backseat we aren’t using nice macgyver move with the camera though.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #70
PaulyT33
Rep
Drives: 2009 E88 N54 135i convertible

Arrrgh....I did this for the first time because I had to store my car somewhere else besides my garage for the winter. Battery is completely removed, it's a convertible so there is no access to the trunk at all....so mad at myself....I hope the jumper idea works but worries that my wires are sitting on metal in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #71
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyT33 View Post
Arrrgh....I did this for the first time because I had to store my car somewhere else besides my garage for the winter. Battery is completely removed, it's a convertible so there is no access to the trunk at all....so mad at myself....I hope the jumper idea works but worries that my wires are sitting on metal in the trunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
… I made an access hole by removing the bottom seat cushion and side cushion on the back seat. It gives you a small hole which you can finagle your way through to open the trunk. …
Newman’s trick made my shortlist, that could yield enough room to wiggle the + cable away from the chassis. Not sure if it works on e88 though.
Appreciate 1
ayao641.50