BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #1
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

1M Seat Height

When TimMc was in Darwin, he pointed out that my drivers seat was actually higher than on his 135i - during a lazy and innocent drive in secluded industria...

Upon closer inspection, my passenger seat was visibly lower (I had never noticed).

I took it to the dealer yesterday and they had a look and 'reprogrammed' the car - lo and behold - it's about 2-3" lower! Seating position is much much better.

TimMc thought it'd be good to post in case any other 1M owners have similar afflictions.

THANKS TimMc!
      06-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
When TimMc was in Darwin, he pointed out that my drivers seat was actually higher than on his 135i - during a lazy and innocent drive in secluded industria...

Upon closer inspection, my passenger seat was visibly lower (I had never noticed).

I took it to the dealer yesterday and they had a look and 'reprogrammed' the car - lo and behold - it's about 2-3" lower! Seating position is much much better.

TimMc thought it'd be good to post in case any other 1M owners have similar afflictions.

THANKS TimMc!
Thats Bizzar mate.. And you being tall, would of helped heaps lowering the seat..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

That's crazy Kamahl, good find and great investigative work!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Thats Bizzar mate.. And you being tall, would of helped heaps lowering the seat..
Definitely mate. I was sitting quite close before but now have been able to move back a bit. All up far more comfortable seating position.

I blame it on the 'Gong!
      06-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
That's crazy Kamahl, good find and great investigative work!
All credit goes to TimMc.

Loving the SA in Darwin at the moment - they agreed there was an issue and sorted it right out immediately.
      06-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Definitely mate. I was sitting quite close before but now have been able to move back a bit. All up far more comfortable seating position.

I blame it on the 'Gong!

Maybe it is an Asian setting

Then again, if was any lower I wouldn't be able to see over the door or the steering wheel. Hahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Maybe it is an Asian setting

Then again, if was any lower I wouldn't be able to see over the door or the steering wheel. Hahahahaha
Hahaha! Not going to get into that one!
      06-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I get the same on my 130i.. Driver seat fully low is probs an inch above passenger, just a thing with elec seats i guess? Gonna get then to look at it next seevice i guess lol

Note: d/s is still pretty low, and mot uncomfy.. But im used to sitting barely off the floor, i prefer it. Will eventually get perf seats, but til then...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:

THANKS TimMc!
Thanks Kamahl. From day one, I felt my seat was unusually high even for a short arse like me. i'm in next Tuesday, will ask them to have a look. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks for the "credit" and the "lazy and innocent drive" Kamal
As the 1M seat is the same as the 135's (and I guess any full electric seat optioned on a 1 series?), this issue could be relevant for more than just the 1M. That said, I've read several reviews of the 1M where they mentioned that the driver's seat was too high. I'd suggest dropping both your passenger & driver's seat to the minimum height and comparing. May be worth putting them both fully backward too for a more accurate comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Interesting - I am for one who seats quite upright and high up anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
FJP135i
Darwin NT 135i - Addict
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01

THANKS TimMc!
Yeah seems our dealership has taken a turn for the better... Very good news.
I actually thought your seat was high too but thought you had it adjusted that way. Weird issue but glad you sorted it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
I get the same on my 130i.. Driver seat fully low is probs an inch above passenger, just a thing with elec seats i guess? Gonna get then to look at it next seevice i guess lol

Note: d/s is still pretty low, and mot uncomfy.. But im used to sitting barely off the floor, i prefer it. Will eventually get perf seats, but til then...
Exactly the opposite! Hopefully they sort it out for you. Performance Seats are pretty awesome, extremely pricey though.
      06-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
Thanks Kamahl. From day one, I felt my seat was unusually high even for a short arse like me. i'm in next Tuesday, will ask them to have a look. Thanks again.
It's very strange Donald. I would have never realised it unless TimMc pointed it out. The seating position is far better now!
      06-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Thanks for the "credit" and the "lazy and innocent drive" Kamal
As the 1M seat is the same as the 135's (and I guess any full electric seat optioned on a 1 series?), this issue could be relevant for more than just the 1M. That said, I've read several reviews of the 1M where they mentioned that the driver's seat was too high. I'd suggest dropping both your passenger & driver's seat to the minimum height and comparing. May be worth putting them both fully backward too for a more accurate comparison.
It was great catch mate! Made such a huge difference in the seating position - I can't get over how much better it is.

Always welcome for the drive Tim!
      06-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Interesting - I am for one who seats quite upright and high up anyway
I'm for upright but not high up!
      06-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJP135i View Post
Yeah seems our dealership has taken a turn for the better... Very good news.
I actually thought your seat was high too but thought you had it adjusted that way. Weird issue but glad you sorted it.
Yes definitely mate. Only concern is that it's all down to one person - he goes and it's all likely to fall apart!

Wierd issue indeed!
      06-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

So... a SW update (upgrade) allowed your drivers electric seat to travel lower than before?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So... a SW update (upgrade) allowed your drivers electric seat to travel lower than before?
They said reprogrammed. I'm assuming this is hard reset of the system. I lost all the setting in iDrive etc... Seat memory was intact however I expect that is localized to the seat hardware.
      06-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly the opposite! Hopefully they sort it out for you. Performance Seats are pretty awesome, extremely pricey though.
Opposite?

Yeah 1500-2k a seat.. Recaros though so totally normal price
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Opposite?

Sorry mate, I didn't read it properly last night. I thought you said the passenger seat was higher - was wondering why does that matter??? Definitely sounds like the same issue.

I thought BMWP was a bit more. But $1.5K - $2K is per seat is still a fair bit...
      06-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Opposite?

Sorry mate, I didn't read it properly last night. I thought you said the passenger seat was higher - was wondering why does that matter??? Definitely sounds like the same issue.

I thought BMWP was a bit more. But $1.5K - $2K is per seat is still a fair bit...
Can find them for Bout 1200 plus shipping.. From my googling that is. Theyre high end recaros so not too harsh
Appreciate 0