BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #45
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Thanks for the videos guys. I got my Milvs in the mail the other day. Look very nice and Marty seems like a good guy.

I wanted to ask him, but didn't want to take any of his time.

Has anyone you guys heard of ever looked at doing any type of "head" work on these engines. The reason for asking as I know that tolerances are everything.

But as an example with all the Corvettes I have owned, the "LS" engine is built pretty loose to put it bluntly meaning you have a lot of play with what you can do with heads/cams in regards to clearances.

For example, most stock heads have a 64cc combustion chamber. This head can be decked to almost a 58cc chamber with no issues if you retain the stock cam and you have plenty of clearance.

But by doing this, you raise compression a few tenths bringing you slightly over 11:1 which can easily be tuned on 93 Octane Pump Gas.

Bumping compression is one of the biggest factors in bumping torque across the board. And torque seems to be one of the biggest things this engine is missing.

Now I could be way off base as I know nothing of these engines, but just thinking out loud as this typically applies to most engines as long as you have the clearances to do so.
      03-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #46
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

N52 compression ratio is already 11:1. But it runs nice on 87 octane. I don't think I would raise it.
Rmtt8206.00
      03-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #47
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
N52 compression ratio is already 11:1. But it runs nice on 87 octane. I don't think I would raise it.
Wow...Thanks. I didn't know it was at that level already.
      03-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #48
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

The N51 is the 10.5:1 CR
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #49
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
This is how I removed the springs on my N55 head

vidja

It's really not that scary. Once the tension is relieved from the spring arms the top bolt can be undone without much drama. I use vice grips to hold the top ear of the spring in place as I remove the bolt and then released the vice grips slowly to relieve the remaining tension of the spring. Make sure valvetronic is set to minimum lift helps too...

Getting the spring leg off the intermediate rocker is the easy part. Hardest part for me was yanking on the spring leg to put it back into place without the rocker falling off, or the spring leg seating incorrectly. Couldn't have done it without a friend, although your method might prove easier.

Also Rmtt take a look here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1571178

For a while the consensus was the N52 head was already optimized, and any port/polishing wouldn't be worth the effort. But I do believe justpete (RIP) had a head he sent off to have research done. IIRC hassmaschine took charge in that.
Appreciate 3
bbnks21206.50
Rmtt8206.00
asbrr540.50
      03-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #50
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Getting the spring leg off the intermediate rocker is the easy part. Hardest part for me was yanking on the spring leg to put it back into place without the rocker falling off, or the spring leg seating incorrectly. Couldn't have done it without a friend, although your method might prove easier.

Also Rmtt take a look here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1571178

For a while the consensus was the N52 head was already optimized, and any port/polishing wouldn't be worth the effort. But I do believe justpete (RIP) had a head he sent off to have research done. IIRC hassmaschine took charge in that.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. So although much hasn't been said, it appears that BMW could be using a "reverse split" with their cams.

I've actually ran something similiar in one of my Corvettes once.....232 on the intake duration, 228 on the exhaust. Worked really well on a car with aftermarket exhaust as they breath out pretty efficiently. But once you started modifying the intake and the amount of airflow coming in..(Like Milvs) a conventional cam setup with a greater exhaust duration made more power overall.

So if it is a reverse split where the exhaust side is not open as long as the intake side, then a change in that cam would make a lot of sense.

Oh and on a side note from that thread, I had a stock E46 M3 when the new 370's started hitting the roads in my area. I had plenty of rolls and dead stop runs with a few of them. I always could pull on them slightly to a certain speed, then I guess aerodynamics came into play to even things out.

The M3 was no joke as I bought it not really knowing it's full capabilities!
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #51
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Thanks for the link. Very interesting. So although much hasn't been said, it appears that BMW could be using a "reverse split" with their cams.

I've actually ran something similiar in one of my Corvettes once.....232 on the intake duration, 228 on the exhaust. Worked really well on a car with aftermarket exhaust as they breath out pretty efficiently. But once you started modifying the intake and the amount of airflow coming in..(Like Milvs) a conventional cam setup with a greater exhaust duration made more power overall.

So if it is a reverse split where the exhaust side is not open as long as the intake side, then a change in that cam would make a lot of sense.

Oh and on a side note from that thread, I had a stock E46 M3 when the new 370's started hitting the roads in my area. I had plenty of rolls and dead stop runs with a few of them. I always could pull on them slightly to a certain speed, then I guess aerodynamics came into play to even things out.

The M3 was no joke as I bought it not really knowing it's full capabilities!
Not sure that this video answers your questions but I found it really interesting to understand how valvetronic and vanos work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gRhDKE8vKU
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
asbrr540.50
      03-06-2019, 05:52 AM   #52
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Not sure that this video answers your questions but I found it really interesting to understand how valvetronic and vanos work.

Thanks for the video...going to watch it now. As I mentioned, I'm a newbie when it comes to these cars. I try to make comparisons to what I am familiar with...and I know I can probably get way off base at times in my thinking.
      03-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #53
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post

Quote:
Thanks for the video...going to watch it now. As I mentioned, I'm a newbie when it comes to these cars. I try to make comparisons to what I am familiar with...and I know I can probably get way off base at times in my thinking.

I also really like this video by engineering explained.

For me it took a while, but I really learned to appreciate there's a method to BMW's madness. Some things are bonehead designs (basically anything plastic that's supposed to last a long time) but others are genius engineering.

I do appreciate you're making the effort to learn these systems and see where improvements can be made. Most people just file this info as 'too complex and itll break, not gonna learn about it'

I like to troll people saying my car doesn't need a throttle body, can run just fine without an intake manifold, my throttle pedal adjusts intake valve lift and a few other weird things.
Appreciate 2
asbrr540.50
Rmtt8206.00
      03-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #54
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post

I also really like this video by engineering explained.

For me it took a while, but I really learned to appreciate there's a method to BMW's madness. Some things are bonehead designs (basically anything plastic that's supposed to last a long time) but others are genius engineering.

I do appreciate you're making the effort to learn these systems and see where improvements can be made. Most people just file this info as 'too complex and itll break, not gonna learn about it'

I like to troll people saying my car doesn't need a throttle body, can run just fine without an intake manifold, my throttle pedal adjusts intake valve lift and a few other weird things.
I'm always down to learn new things as I've always preferred to do things myself. I didn't know how the learning curve would be with BMW's.

I reworked my first engine at 16 years old. I had a friend direct me with tear down, then basically said he was done....and if I wanted to drive my car again I needed to put it back together.

I worked in various garages through summer and during college....even once working in an import shop. Worked on a lot of VW products.

When I got my first Corvette, I started hanging around a guy that did tuning and I purchased the software. From him and forums, through trial and error, I learned to tune and data log my own cars.

So guys forgive me if I ask what may come across as dumb questions with obvious answers. I've been trying to research as much as possible.

I'm the type of person that will read and read, then it's like a light switches on and i grasp the concept and then learn fairly quickly.

All of you guys have been a great help just in the 7-8 weeks I've owned the car. I'm fairly confident with all the other stuff such as suspension and most of the drivetrain.....it's trying to grasp the concept of how the engine and DME function that is going to be the curve for me as it is so different!

But I appreciate the patience from all of you guys!
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      03-28-2019, 03:00 AM   #55
xshadowspy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black bmw 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
I didn't see a link or anything to say where you guys got the MILVS.
Pm sent.
can I get MILVS as well lol
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #56
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadowspy View Post
can I get MILVS as well lol
PM Sent
      03-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #57
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

This will not make sense to all of you but might to some. My first car was a 66 mustang with a 200 cubic inch 6 cylinder and a three speed manual. If I had not rolled it in a snowstorm (after being run off the road by a car coming the other way) I would have had it longer. But I drove it through part of high school and all of college. It was slow but fun.

One of the things I like about my 128i is the engine is smaller than my old 66 but makes as much or more power as a V8 of that era. I don't love the complexity of the engine or the car in general but it is also providing this big benefit in terms of ~230hp from about 180 cubic inches. Some of you are now getting another 30hp or so.

Jim
Rmtt8206.00
      03-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #58
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
I'm always down to learn new things as I've always preferred to do things myself. I didn't know how the learning curve would be with BMW's.

I reworked my first engine at 16 years old. I had a friend direct me with tear down, then basically said he was done....and if I wanted to drive my car again I needed to put it back together.

I worked in various garages through summer and during college....even once working in an import shop. Worked on a lot of VW products.

When I got my first Corvette, I started hanging around a guy that did tuning and I purchased the software. From him and forums, through trial and error, I learned to tune and data log my own cars.

So guys forgive me if I ask what may come across as dumb questions with obvious answers. I've been trying to research as much as possible.

I'm the type of person that will read and read, then it's like a light switches on and i grasp the concept and then learn fairly quickly.

All of you guys have been a great help just in the 7-8 weeks I've owned the car. I'm fairly confident with all the other stuff such as suspension and most of the drivetrain.....it's trying to grasp the concept of how the engine and DME function that is going to be the curve for me as it is so different!

But I appreciate the patience from all of you guys!
You've probably already seen this, but just in case....

03-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #59
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
This will not make sense to all of you but might to some. My first car was a 66 mustang with a 200 cubic inch 6 cylinder and a three speed manual. If I had not rolled it in a snowstorm (after being run off the road by a car coming the other way) I would have had it longer. But I drove it through part of high school and all of college. It was slow but fun.

One of the things I like about my 128i is the engine is smaller than my old 66 but makes as much or more power as a V8 of that era. I don't love the complexity of the engine or the car in general but it is also providing this big benefit in terms of ~230hp from about 180 cubic inches. Some of you are now getting another 30hp or so.

Jim
I see where you are going with this. I watch a lot of car shows on the weekends I don't work that I record since I usually get up around 5:00am and that is sleeping in.

But the "What's My Car Worth" really shows you all these early muscle cars with these huge power-plants, and will show HP ratings. It's amazing to see a car with 375+HP from that era...and then the 0-60 stat it states from the factory will usually be listed in the 6+ second range. Every once in awhile you see some in the upper 5 second range.

It's amazing how far cars have come in terms of material of construction to lighten them up, and to extract almost every last drop of power out of them.

When I finish my build, I hope to see about 230 or a tad more at the rear wheels which seems very doable. As the car sits now with the steeper gears, it's a blast to drive. Another 30+hp should make it really fun. I just wish the TQ increases came just as easy as that is the thing that is really lacking in my opinion in these cars.

But I guess then you could compromise some of the things that make this engine perform the way it does because of how it likes to rev.

The first time I drove my E46 M3 really hard, I could not believe how much it continued to pull. I was so used to shifting at 6500-6700 RPM...and with that thing you still had room to spare. That kind of motor makes it very fun to drive, and it's a different feel than say my current Corvette which is making around 460/460 to the wheels. Even with that kind of power, the BMW is still very fun as it performs in an entirely different way!
      03-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #60
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
BimmerMILVS.com
Appreciate 1
ornicar133.00
      04-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #61
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Could anyone point me to the correct valvetronic spring tool for installing these please? I don't want to do the washer method.

Had these sitting in a box for a couple of years and really should install them
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #62
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
Could anyone point me to the correct valvetronic spring tool for installing these please? I don't want to do the washer method.

Had these sitting in a box for a couple of years and really should install them
Check BimmerMILVS for the tool.

Also I used this method and it worked great.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #63
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Sweet, thank you!
Appreciate 0