BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
lemansblau135is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Garage List
2013 bmw 135is  [0.00]
carly app

Hi All,
While I'm new too this site, I've been reading many of the posts here. I'd like to thank many of you for your informative discussions and reviews that helped me decide to purchase a 1 owner 2013 135is. I have learned much about the car by reading these posts. What I'd like to know now is what is a "carly app" and how do I find one?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

The Carly App is an application for a smart device. Carly is simply the name of the application, see here: https://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

Note, you don't necessarily need to buy their OBD II connector, but it does provide for trouble free use and some more advanced features (like real time data read-out). Otherwise cheaper OBD II connectors found on amazon or places may be able to perform all of the tasks you'll usually need (read error codes, "coding", etc)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Shortedaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

carly will also allow you to code in features you may want and code out others you don't. for example, I changed it so that if I tap my blinkers they will blink 3 times. also, my hazards now do the euro double flash thing. also coded it so my mirrors auto fold when I lock the car.
Appreciate 2
dtla1827.50
      04-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
lemansblau135is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Garage List
2013 bmw 135is  [0.00]
thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Fenbers
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i convertible (E88)

There is also ProTool from BimmerGeeks that runs on Android that does many of the same things as Carly, but doesn’t have a pricey subscription fee...
Mark
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8211.00
      05-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansblau135is View Post
Hi All,
While I'm new too this site, I've been reading many of the posts here. I'd like to thank many of you for your informative discussions and reviews that helped me decide to purchase a 1 owner 2013 135is. I have learned much about the car by reading these posts. What I'd like to know now is what is a "carly app" and how do I find one?
It's worth noting the App has changed quite a bit as well as their pricing structures. Check the features and consider the price before you buy now.
      05-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
It's worth noting the App has changed quite a bit as well as their pricing structures. Check the features and consider the price before you buy now.
I didn't know about these pricing changes, I've been on the app for a few years now so I guess I got grandfathered in to my one time purchase price.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I didn't know about these pricing changes, I've been on the app for a few years now so I guess I got grandfathered in to my one time purchase price.
I just downloaded it. They want $60/year for the full suite. I don't know if the app does enough for me that I want to pay that. It's hard to sift through the features list. I don't see any of the coding features I would want. (Window Down with FOB, TC and DSC OFF by default, etc)
      05-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #9
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I just downloaded it. They want $60/year for the full suite. I don't know if the app does enough for me that I want to pay that. It's hard to sift through the features list. I don't see any of the coding features I would want. (Window Down with FOB, TC and DSC OFF by default, etc)
I know window down with FOB is available (I have mine set to double press and hold the unlock button for windows down and will eventually open sunroof as well), I also have folding mirrors on lock. Haven't looked for the TC and DSC coding. I think it was $50 one time for me and that's it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Same, if you purchased it before you have lifetime access.

Quote:
Yup $60/year is pretty steep....

Window/sunroof/mirror control with the FOB is possible. I don't think you can do TC AND DSC off by default, maybe just first level of TC.
      05-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
I know window down with FOB is available (I have mine set to double press and hold the unlock button for windows down and will eventually open sunroof as well), I also have folding mirrors on lock. Haven't looked for the TC and DSC coding. I think it was $50 one time for me and that's it.
Hmmm...maybe the app doesn't list everything then? I couldn't find any of that. Weird. All the more reason I'm scared to buy. haha

Quote:
Same, if you purchased it before you have lifetime access.

Yup $60/year is pretty steep....

Window/sunroof/mirror control with the FOB is possible. I don't think you can do TC AND DSC off by default, maybe just first level of TC.
Can the app tell what car it is? Can you code multiple cars on one liscence? If so maybe I just need to find a few guys who will pay $10 to code their car with me. haha
      05-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm...maybe the app doesn't list everything then? I couldn't find any of that. Weird. All the more reason I'm scared to buy. haha

Can the app tell what car it is? Can you code multiple cars on one liscence? If so maybe I just need to find a few guys who will pay $10 to code their car with me. haha
I think you actually can do multiple cars, if/when I ran into another 1Addicts and they need some coding I'd be happy to try it out.
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00
      05-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenbers View Post
There is also ProTool from BimmerGeeks that runs on Android that does many of the same things as Carly, but doesn’t have a pricey subscription fee...
Mark

I have this one. More expensive up front, but does pretty much everything. One time fee and they update regularly.

Has generic coding which explains everything for every module, then has pro coding which is all in German, but they have English descriptors with most of it.

You can change VINs on replacement parts/modules, view and log pretty much anything going in with the car....etc.

Pretty powerful product, but could get you into trouble if you don't pay attention. But it allows for backups and restore options.

Basically you buy their cable, then download the app. It synched right up with my car, and it can be used across multiple platforms numerous times so not locked to one car.
      05-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #14
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I got it before the pricing change. $60 a year is too much for how I use it once in a while. When I need it it's great, but it's not that often.
      05-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #15
janrodri
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i BMW 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I have this one. More expensive up front, but does pretty much everything. One time fee and they update regularly.

Has generic coding which explains everything for every module, then has pro coding which is all in German, but they have English descriptors with most of it.

You can change VINs on replacement parts/modules, view and log pretty much anything going in with the car....etc.

Pretty powerful product, but could get you into trouble if you don't pay attention. But it allows for backups and restore options.

Basically you buy their cable, then download the app. It synched right up with my car, and it can be used across multiple platforms numerous times so not locked to one car.
HI, Im interested in this one. It looks like it lets you use actuators for test components in your car, for example I will like to try and see if the motor fan is running properly, can I turned on from this app? or check the rpm of my water pump or any other equipment ?
I have allot I will like to try, since I was a honda enthusiast and now switch to Bimmer I see most of the thing way more complicated to do. I do mechanic and like to do pretty much everything on my car, like a hobby. Pls help with your comments thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #16
janrodri
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i BMW 2009

I will like to start working on doing the program and mechanic by myself.

what I need to buy to program my ecu, check for codes, actuate the water pump, motor fan and stuff like that.. I just want to get more technical in all this stuff. I did replace my water pump and thermostat but my car still warm up and shut off for protection, motor fan runs when I put the air conditioner but if I let my car sit in the same place 20 minutes it warm up again, I did replace the coolant and the motor oil, all is from a BMW retailer and I did the job at home by myself.
I found a water leak in the radiator and I out some black epoxy and is temporary fix until I buy the new radiator.
Any Ideas pls message me, thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrodri View Post
HI, Im interested in this one. It looks like it lets you use actuators for test components in your car, for example I will like to try and see if the motor fan is running properly, can I turned on from this app? or check the rpm of my water pump or any other equipment ?
I have allot I will like to try, since I was a honda enthusiast and now switch to Bimmer I see most of the thing way more complicated to do. I do mechanic and like to do pretty much everything on my car, like a hobby. Pls help with your comments thanks,
I would have to look and see. I do know that it allows to you to pull live data on a ton of parameters.

I haven't had a lot of time to spend with it, but was able to look at what "rpm's" my Disa Valves opened at after downloading my BPC tune when I did my 3 Stage Intake Swap.

I do believe that it does allow you the option to see voltage to your water pump, and % of load.