BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #23
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Just curious... Are you unhappy with the Koni struts and dampers? What is the motivation to change?
I upgraded purely for ride height adjustment and clearance due to new wheels.

I love the way the Koni's feel on the road, and I am sure the KW's will not ride so well on the street

They will be for sale shortly if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #24
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Both the koni sport and kw v2 are two very nice setups. I have koni sport on my car at the moment. Please post your opinion when you eventually try out the kw.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 03:55 AM   #25
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Heres a better picture of how the car sits at the moment. One of my biggest concerns was lowering the car and have the problem of scraping on driveways all the time.

But I think my misconception is that if you lower the car more, it will scrape even more than the stock suspension. The stock setup is relatively low and soft, so its actually much worse than the B12 kit when it comes to speed bumps and driveways.
Attached Images

04-09-2016, 01:19 AM   #26
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Nice work vtl
Looks very tastefully dropped.
I might take her for a spin tomorrow and give you an independent report
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 03:19 AM   #27
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator335i View Post
Nice work vtl
Looks very tastefully dropped.
I might take her for a spin tomorrow and give you an independent report
Thanks mate, gotta get yourself some shocks on your F30 to complement your lowering springs too I reckon. Totally worth the extra cost to avoid the bouncy ride of just lowering your car with springs.
      04-27-2016, 03:09 AM   #28
kazriel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008 MT

I have been running the B12s for about a year now and while I really like the ride with m3 subframe bushings and the b12s the look of the dropped front and how paranoid I have to be about clearance is a bit wearing.
The car sits very low and rolling over a particularly nasty shopping centre speed bump recently at about 5km I've bottomed.

I know the B12s are not ajustable but is there any way to add height. I do not have cambre plates at this stage and was looking in this direction anyway. Is there anything else that could also help with ride height without compromising the suspension feel, short of a new suspension setup?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:48 AM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazriel View Post
I have been running the B12s for about a year now and while I really like the ride with m3 subframe bushings and the b12s the look of the dropped front and how paranoid I have to be about clearance is a bit wearing.
The car sits very low and rolling over a particularly nasty shopping centre speed bump recently at about 5km I've bottomed.

I know the B12s are not ajustable but is there any way to add height. I do not have cambre plates at this stage and was looking in this direction anyway. Is there anything else that could also help with ride height without compromising the suspension feel, short of a new suspension setup?
Sometimes you can ad a spring pad or metal plate above the upper strut bearing/camber plates(under the car's body). This will raise the car say ~10mm's.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #30
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazriel View Post

Poor road package includes spacer plates for the front struts and rear spring perches. This package increases the ride height of the vehicle by 20mm

Part number is 31306779671 and you need 2 of them. This bolts onto the strut mounts. Alternatively if 20mm seems excessive you can purchase 2x dinan camber plate kits and stack them on top of each other for 2x 6.35mm of ride height increase. You would need to purchase longer countersunk M8 bolts and remove the studs of one of the camber plates in order to get it to work.

Rear spring perches I wouldn't bother, the rear ride height on the Bilsteins seems a lot higher than the front.

Last edited by vtl; 04-27-2016 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #31
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

I'll bring you out with us next time we night run. Get a good baseline for handling. I reckon you need stiffer sways, but as I mentioned the other night I like very firm sways, even the stiffer 1M sways seem kinda soft to me. If you back the damping off and run stiffer sways, you'll have less roll and flatter cornering but a more supple ride with less crashing. Bilsteins are going to behave differently vs KW being a high pressure monotube design and the McPherson from end doesn't help, I've never ridden in a McPherson strut car that handled fast sharp bumps well, the only way to make them ride nice is run sloppy bushes which feel awful. It might not be something you can dial out.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #32
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
I'll bring you out with us next time we night run. Get a good baseline for handling. I reckon you need stiffer sways, but as I mentioned the other night I like very firm sways, even the stiffer 1M sways seem kinda soft to me. If you back the damping off and run stiffer sways, you'll have less roll and flatter cornering but a more supple ride with less crashing. Bilsteins are going to behave differently vs KW being a high pressure monotube design and the McPherson from end doesn't help, I've never ridden in a McPherson strut car that handled fast sharp bumps well, the only way to make them ride nice is run sloppy bushes which feel awful. It might not be something you can dial out.
Yeah will decide on stiffer sways once I get more used to the handling characteristics of the car. I can already feel that after a few k kms the setup feels a lot more supple and less harsh vs just after the install. Currently theres a little body roll, doesn't bother me too much yet though.

The car still has an understeer balance but its drastically reduced. Much closer to neutral and that bit of understeer gives you a lot of confidence.

Will definitely be keen on a night run!
      05-01-2016, 03:02 AM   #33
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
The car still has an understeer balance but its drastically reduced. Much closer to neutral and that bit of understeer gives you a lot of confidence.
E93 15mm rear swaybar won't dissappoint! 15mm is 77% stiffer than 13mm. It just gets rid of that last bit of factory-built-in understeer tendency.

I don't think any thicker swaybars are needed for our chassis. Not going to big M3 swaybars keeps the suspension working independently to take up bumps on bad roads. I've never noticed E8x or E9x cars having an unhealthy amount of bodyroll.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #34
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Isn't the oem rear bar for the 135i 11mm? Even the 22.5mm rear of the 1M allows it to roll when the rears really bite in. They'll pull almost 1G laterally and you can feel it roll, even if it's not super noticeable visually.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #35
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

If it's like the E9x, it varies between M-sport and non-M-Sport etc. If 135i has 11mm stock, going up to a 15mm is 2.5x stiffer than stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #36
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Stock rear bar is 12mm

I've just fitted an M3 E92 front sway bar, definitely an improvement, I was initially sceptical but I got a good deal on one so I thought i'd give it a try. The E82 chassis seems to have decent turn in but once you load up the tyres and the car leans, all the front end grip just drops off like a rock. The front bar seems to have improved the front end grip at the limit, quite surprised.

I am thinking a 15mm rear bar would help dial out the remaining understeer but will leave it for a while until I am used to the current setup. I like to do it one mod at a time so I can learn and evaluate every part that goes on the car separately.

Last edited by vtl; 08-19-2016 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 1