BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Thumbs down Riss Racing Ait Scoops Buying Experience

If I could give the title two thumbs down I would.

I must mention now that that while I bought these through Taylor of APE, he and his company had nothing to do with the negative experience, and even offered compensation for the ridiculous process I had to go through to get these scoops from RR, even calling them several times to check up on them.

So.. on July 10 (3 1/2 weeks ago) I purchased a set of red Riss Racing Ram Air Scoops. Sent the payment, all is well. Asked for a tracking number, which I did not get for a while. About a week later, on the 20th, I remembered that I was supposed to be getting some scoops in the mail. Asked Taylor what the deal was, and he said they had to have shipped by now, so he'd call RR to see what's up.

Guess what? RR hadn't shipped them yet. Taylor told them to get on it, and apologized for the delay, and shortly afer he gave me a tracking number. Nothing showed up on UPS.com at first, but after about a day it said "shipping info received." And it kept saying that for the next WEEK. I thought there was something wrong with the tracking system and just hoped for the best.

After a week I got fed up and once again asked Taylor to see what's up and to say that I suspected that nothing shipped yet; he graciously offered to ship it overnight at his personal expense if it hadn't shipped and called Monday morning, the 27th, to ask and got no answer. The next day he got a voicemail from RR saying they were in transit. Our guess is that they finally shipped them that Monday.

Why would RR register their package to me with UPS and then just not send it? It's beyond me. Finally, I got them Friday the 31st, THREE WEEKS after ordering for a product that was in stock at RR. The delivery time once it was actually delivered was only a few days!

But that's not it... The build quality is HORRIBLE! The two holes for the screws were not only COMPLETELY different sizes, but NEITHER of the two screws provided with the scoops fit into the holes in the scoops or in the car where they are supposed to. I luckily had a big box of screws and I found two that kind of fit, and I had to secure them in with nuts (no nuts provided either). The scoops are still a little wobbly, and because of the weird fitment, the tube (plenum? i dunno what to call it) was fitting strange until I really tightened up the stock screws...

I'm keeping the scoops just because they're two pieces of metal and still kind of look cool (don't even know about their performance value), but it's safe to say I'm never purchasing from RR again.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
I guess you haven't seen the numerous threads about RR's build quality....or lack thereof

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I guess you haven't seen the numerous threads about RR's build quality....or lack thereof
I have, and especially remember KeithLM's long reviews, but he didnt complain about the build quality of the scoops and I figured how could they eff up two pieces of metal and some screws, but it's apparently beyond them to figure out how to send out the right size screw...

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Why would RR register their package to me with UPS and then just not send it? It's beyond me. Finally, I got them Friday the 31st, THREE WEEKS after ordering for a product that was in stock at RR. The delivery time once it was actually delivered was only a few days!
I know that feeling. They did that with multiple products for me. Then there was posts on the forum about how stuff would be shipping in a week or whatever, and they never came close. I've never dealt with any other company that generated the tracking info more than 24 hours in advance of it being picked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I have, and especially remember KeithLM's long reviews, but he didnt complain about the build quality of the scoops and I figured how could they eff up two pieces of metal and some screws, but it's apparently beyond them to figure out how to send out the right size screw...
I'm feeling kind of famous now. Their screw sizes were kind of big for the area, but it was a tough spot to design something for. I found with a big enough screwdriver and a lot of force I got their screws into the wholes ok. Now the plenum, that was another matter, the holes were well off center and a pain to line up.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Mindgame
Poke Her Face
Rep
Drives: 09 135I

I read the RR reviews too and still got owned.

I feel for ya. It's no way to run a "company"