BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #45
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13467
Rep
6,880
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I think it sounds very promising, but am wondering how much carbon fiber ends up scattered all over the course when individuals are trying not to be eliminated! lol
I'm looking forward to it.
I can see a lot of CF flying and butt-hurt feelings expressed.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #46
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
207
Rep
634
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goleta, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Don't want to judge the new qualifying format until I see how it works IRL, but I'm thinking it's going to cause a lot of confusion from who is eliminated as the clock winds down.

What happens when someone is on a flying lap and he doesn't make it to the finish line in time? He posts a winning time but gets eliminated because of the clock? Or will he get to finish his lap? And if he doesn't get eliminated and actually kicks someone out of a top spot, what if that person still thinks he's in the competition and proceeds to post a top spot himself? Creates a lot of confusion.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #47
Chihuahua
Colonel
Chihuahua's Avatar
1287
Rep
2,074
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

iTrader: (0)

I'm with you guys, I don't understand what brought on the need for changes to qualifying. It is arguably more interesting than the races in many cases. I thought it was perfectly good as it was.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #48
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13467
Rep
6,880
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
Don't want to judge the new qualifying format until I see how it works IRL, but I'm thinking it's going to cause a lot of confusion from who is eliminated as the clock winds down.

What happens when someone is on a flying lap and he doesn't make it to the finish line in time? He posts a winning time but gets eliminated because of the clock? Or will he get to finish his lap? And if he doesn't get eliminated and actually kicks someone out of a top spot, what if that person still thinks he's in the competition and proceeds to post a top spot himself? Creates a lot of confusion.
If I read it correctly, this is an addition and flying laps will still count. If they didn't it would be chaos but I could be wrong.

I think that this will add a bit of race-like excitement to qualifying as well as throwing a wrench into the system for those at the sharp end of the grid relative to keeping out of last minute heroics of the slower cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #49
mreed
Private First Class
mreed's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

There goes fast forwarding to the last 2 minutes of qualifying.
__________________
2013 E92 M3 w/ Competition Package
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #50
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
528
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

Mercedes new nose.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #51
SDH
Captain
379
Rep
905
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
This. Awesome livery.
Agreed, on just looking at these pictures the Renault looks the prettiest
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #52
Chihuahua
Colonel
Chihuahua's Avatar
1287
Rep
2,074
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

iTrader: (0)

I know it's winter testing and times don't mean much, but it is nice to see that Haas is right there in terms of lap times. They were second to Force India today.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #53
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
1200
Rep
2,714
Posts

Drives: M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: bmw

iTrader: (0)



Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #54
AYTifosi
Lieutenant
AYTifosi's Avatar
United_States
402
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
New Ferrari looking like it went on a huge diet over the winter.
It all went to the front wing!

All the front wings are out of control. I know they are amazing in what they do... and, they really through the visual balance out of whack.

Still... I will continue watching.
__________________
2015 AY M4
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 06:19 AM   #55
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
233
Rep
2,933
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brenham TX

iTrader: (0)

Mclaren sounds good. Off throttle sounds like the blown diffuser cars of a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #56
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
528
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

So I've been wondering lately why teams don't use dimples on their cars. Like a golf ball.

It's common knowledge that the dimples on a golf ball create less drag as the ball is moving through the air. Why don't teams utilize something similar on certain body panels to help smoothen the air around the car?

Has this been attempted in the past?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #57
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Mtxzptlk's Avatar
632
Rep
1,063
Posts

Drives: 635/1815
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
So I've been wondering lately why teams don't use dimples on their cars. Like a golf ball.

It's common knowledge that the dimples on a golf ball create less drag as the ball is moving through the air. Why don't teams utilize something similar on certain body panels to help smoothen the air around the car?

Has this been attempted in the past?
FIA reg?

Either that or the cost of producing a dimpled chassis makes it non-feasible?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #58
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
528
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
So I've been wondering lately why teams don't use dimples on their cars. Like a golf ball.

It's common knowledge that the dimples on a golf ball create less drag as the ball is moving through the air. Why don't teams utilize something similar on certain body panels to help smoothen the air around the car?

Has this been attempted in the past?
FIA reg?

Either that or the cost of producing a dimpled chassis makes it non-feasible?
Can't they just make the molds with dimples?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #59
Chihuahua
Colonel
Chihuahua's Avatar
1287
Rep
2,074
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tampa Bay, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
FIA reg?

Either that or the cost of producing a dimpled chassis makes it non-feasible?
I'm going to guess there's a rule against it somewhere. With no budget cap in place, money will never be an issue for the bigger teams. They will literally spend $100,000,000 if they think it will give them one tenth of a second per lap.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #60
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
528
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

Why would there be any additional cost when adding dimples to body panels? The carbon fiber can easily be molded to include the dimples.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #61
solstice
Brigadier General
1039
Rep
4,212
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

The only driver spinning enough to benefit from dimples got fired this year
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #62
CrazyT
Enlisted Member
CrazyT's Avatar
40
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Over Macho Grande

iTrader: (0)

Golf ball dimples produce turbulent flow that minimize the low pressure side of the ball, thus minimizing "form drag" (if I have my terms right, it's been 15 years or so). You don't want highly turbulent flow until after the rear wing / diffuser.
__________________
2015 M4 - AW/SO, 6MT, Exec, Lighting, Adaptive M
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #63
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Mtxzptlk's Avatar
632
Rep
1,063
Posts

Drives: 635/1815
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
Golf ball dimples produce turbulent flow that minimize the low pressure side of the ball, thus minimizing "form drag" (if I have my terms right, it's been 15 years or so). You don't want highly turbulent flow until after the rear wing / diffuser.
Adrian Newey is in the house...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #64
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
528
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

I looked into a bit.. I guess unless the object is a sphere, it wouldn't really benefit.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:21 AM   #65
phantomF80
Private
18
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: OC

iTrader: (0)

The dimple is used to trip flow to energize the air flowing over the surface and reduce boundary layer and delay flow separation. There are many ways to do it, such as vortex generators you see on the various places of F1 front wings as well as areas around the intake and etc. You could put those vortex generators on a golf ball, but it may make it hard to hit or roll it on the green

Also, all aero surfaces need to work together to produce proper balance and right amount of downforce (or lift for air vehicles). The front wing needs to generate downforce, but it also needs to channel air flow over the top of the front tires as well as into the front brake duct. The air flow then needs to be controlled and directed into the engine air intake on the top, the sidepod for cooling as well as the diffuser entrance that's under the car. It then needs to go over the rear tires and rear wing, as well as interacting with air exiting the diffuser and the hot air flow from engine exhaust. They all have to play well together, that's why teams spent tons of time in CFD and wind tunnels to make sure every bit of aero surfaces are tuned to work well together as a system.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #66
MKSixer
Major General
MKSixer's Avatar
13467
Rep
6,880
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomF80 View Post
The dimple is used to trip flow to energize the air flowing over the surface and reduce boundary layer and delay flow separation. There are many ways to do it, such as vortex generators you see on the various places of F1 front wings as well as areas around the intake and etc. You could put those vortex generators on a golf ball, but it may make it hard to hit or roll it on the green

Also, all aero surfaces need to work together to produce proper balance and right amount of downforce (or lift for air vehicles). The front wing needs to generate downforce, but it also needs to channel air flow over the top of the front tires as well as into the front brake duct. The air flow then needs to be controlled and directed into the engine air intake on the top, the sidepod for cooling as well as the diffuser entrance that's under the car. It then needs to go over the rear tires and rear wing, as well as interacting with air exiting the diffuser and the hot air flow from engine exhaust. They all have to play well together, that's why teams spent tons of time in CFD and wind tunnels to make sure every bit of aero surfaces are tuned to work well together as a system.
NOW, Adrian Newey in the house!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST