BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #23
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Cv

What are your thoughts on choosing Zaino's Z2 vs. say Menzerna's FMJ or perhaps Klasse's High Gloss Sealant Glaze or Einszett Glanz to finish off after the Menz 85? I've liked what you've done so far and plan to go the same route - just trying to decide on which wax/sealant to use. I'd like to get the longest lasting shine as I don't plan to do this every month... Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

'11 135i Cabriolet
Crimson Red, CPO, Savanna Beige Lthr, High Gloss, Shadowline
DCT, Prem Pkg, Sp Pkg, Value Pkg, Sirius, Alarm, CA, 264's
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #24
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgraw013 View Post
What are your thoughts on choosing Zaino's Z2 vs. say Menzerna's FMJ or perhaps Klasse's High Gloss Sealant Glaze or Einszett Glanz to finish off after the Menz 85? I've liked what you've done so far and plan to go the same route - just trying to decide on which wax/sealant to use. I'd like to get the longest lasting shine as I don't plan to do this every month... Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
For me it came down to either Zaino or Menz FMJ. I did a lot of asking around and most people came back to Z2. I don't like that you have to "activate" it with the magic drops, but many, many people have had great results with it so that's what made me decide to go to the Z2.

Sorry I don't have a more scientific answer for you. I'm also going to try Z5 prior to Z2 for the small amount of scratches that will accumulate with everyday use of a Jet Black car. I'll post up after I'm done.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #25
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I put the first coat of Z5 on last night and let it dry for about an hour. Working in a cold garage BLOWS. I used a propane space heater for a bit but it seemed like it was making me lightheaded and I ran out of propane after about half an hour anyway (I did have both garage doors up about a foot or so to vent the garage).

Anyhow, the Zaino probably didn't all come off because of the temperature. On Saturday morning when it's fully dry and cured, I'll hit the entire car with Z6 and then put a coat of Z2 on, then Z6 again. At that point I'm done with the cold weather detailing, nothing works well in this temperature. I also put Raggtop protectant on the top and that took forever to dry. It still has a slightly greasy feel to it, not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or not. Oh well, at least it looks fantastic. I will post up pics this weekend.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #26
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

BlackjackMulligan, what do you use to apply z5/z2? I've been noticing some swirl marks on my baby. I don't know if it's my towel (100% cotton), my microfiber drying towel, or my z5/z2 application pad.

Also, I contacted zaino and they said to hang dry your towel instead of using a dryer. This will get rid of any static... which will make your car collect dust like a magnet when applying z6.
      02-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #27
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
BlackjackMulligan, what do you use to apply z5/z2? I've been noticing some swirl marks on my baby. I don't know if it's my towel (100% cotton), my microfiber drying towel, or my z5/z2 application pad.

Also, I contacted zaino and they said to hang dry your towel instead of using a dryer. This will get rid of any static... which will make your car collect dust like a magnet when applying z6.
I use the cotton applicator that they sell (or give you if you order $25 or more in product).

I don't think you're swirling your paint with the Zaino application. More likely, it's the towel you're using to REMOVE the Zaino (I think I'm getting some this way), the mitt you're using to wash the car or the towels used to dry it.

There's really no way to totally avoid all swirls. The only thing you can do is polish every 6 months or so and apply Z5 or something similar in between to hide as many as possible, then Z2 over it as Z2 supposedly has a higher reflective quality.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #28
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Mine took hours to dry in the garage in 50ish temperature. It sucked big time. Next time I am waiting until warmer temperature and nicer weather so I can do it outside in the shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I put the first coat of Z5 on last night and let it dry for about an hour. Working in a cold garage BLOWS. I used a propane space heater for a bit but it seemed like it was making me lightheaded and I ran out of propane after about half an hour anyway (I did have both garage doors up about a foot or so to vent the garage).

Anyhow, the Zaino probably didn't all come off because of the temperature. On Saturday morning when it's fully dry and cured, I'll hit the entire car with Z6 and then put a coat of Z2 on, then Z6 again. At that point I'm done with the cold weather detailing, nothing works well in this temperature. I also put Raggtop protectant on the top and that took forever to dry. It still has a slightly greasy feel to it, not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or not. Oh well, at least it looks fantastic. I will post up pics this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #29
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

I think I got some swirls from the towel I used to remove the Zaino as well. The applicator looks really harmless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
I use the cotton applicator that they sell (or give you if you order $25 or more in product).

I don't think you're swirling your paint with the Zaino application. More likely, it's the towel you're using to REMOVE the Zaino (I think I'm getting some this way), the mitt you're using to wash the car or the towels used to dry it.

There's really no way to totally avoid all swirls. The only thing you can do is polish every 6 months or so and apply Z5 or something similar in between to hide as many as possible, then Z2 over it as Z2 supposedly has a higher reflective quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #30
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Check out the results in the Photos forum! Teaser:
Attached Images

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0