BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

135 aftermarket exhaust owners in the Seattle metro area?

Anyone local with aftermarket exhaust (DP, midpipes and/or axleback) that have an opinion on your setup and would possibly offer me a ride?

I'm stuck between wanting an agressive exhaust note so I can hear the car all the time for better RPM matching, but not wanting to completely compromise the relatively quiet cabin and the ability to use my BT-connected cell phone at reasonable volume.

I'm looking for the holy grail of exhausts... one that has an aggressive note with a fair amount of throttle tip-in but still with a little civilization for light acceleration and at cruising speeds. And no drone, of course.

Leaning towards the MadDad midpipes and EuroSport exhaust, but Berk's "street performance" package and the cp-e exhaust are also on my short list.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'm interested in where you go with your exhaust desires, but I'm full stock for now....
      12-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
The description you write sounds like my BMW PE.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
The description you write sounds like my BMW PE.
That's very good to know, though I have a few issues with the PE. Mainly, it has little to no value for performance or weight savings. I can shave 25lbs and add about 15rwhp, dump the cats and resonator and straighten the exhaust flow. BMW PE is audibly good, but it's too "compliant" for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
JiggaWang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SS M4

I'm in the same boat! Can I tag along?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep

from your choices, I would steer towards a Berk setup...
      12-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update

I couldn't decide between the Berk or the MadDad setup, but a holiday special at EAS swayed me to go with the Berk.

The fitment was generally good, but the midpipe bends were not a good fit. Starting about a foot back from the mating at the downpipe, the passenger side midpipe drops to 1 1/4" below the underbody and leaves a 2" gap between it and the heat shield above. With a proper bend, this could have easily been routed flat with no obstructions towards the exhaust pipe. The drivers side midpipe has the same general bend radius, but is not as bad. I'm usually careful about scraping anything, but it's a prime area behind the front wheels for a speed bump and suspension compression to smack it.

The tailpipes lined up perfectly left-to-right. It hangs about 1/2" lower than ideal but bending, and properly aligning, the hangers would be difficult with the hanger design.

I've had it installed for about 2 hours and driven about 30 miles and so far I'm very happy. It's exactly what I was looking for... noticeable but still civilized at idle/cruise/normal operation, and assertive on the throttle.

My butt-dyno is happy with it as well. The throttle feels snappier, it might've reduced or at least smoothed out the turbo lag, and there's a little extra oomph, especially at higher RPMs. Of course that could all be just in my head, but I'm satisfied nonetheless.

One word of advice... or in this case multiple words. I spent hours doing general research, listening to YouTube clips and reading people's impressions of various exhausts. But now that I have an exhaust installed, I realize that I didn't need any of that information or "advice", at least not as a typical consumer who will never buy more than one exhaust for any particular vehicle and have no reference point for aftermarket exhausts.

As long as it generally meets what I expected (louder, no offensive noises, performance increase, weight reduction) I'm not going to be unhappy to return/exchange it, so why try to play the comparison game with poor reference material?

Also, it's impossible to understand or appreciate the audible qualities of an exhaust, especially in the cabin, without driving the vehicle. With the Berk exhaust (and I'm guessing most other respectable brands) I can alternate between loud and sensible with the gas pedal, so all the video clips, advice and comments given about loudness, sound and general likability are too subjective to provide any meaningful value to you.

My advice is to purchase a reputable exhaust without too much analysis, then tweak it to your tastes. The only major consideration would be for removal of the muffler or catless downpipes, but unless you want to be obnoxious that's not really an option. All good systems appear to maintain a resonator to tune unwanted noises out of the exhaust note.

Last edited by Revelate; 12-30-2010 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep

Looks nice man, good luck with the exhaust!!
      01-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

how doest it sound compared to stock ?
is it loud enough ? how will u rate the loudness from 1 to 10 stock exhaust being 3 ?