BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Another reason to get rid of the run craps.

I have had the run craps replaced a while ago. Replaced them with Michelin Pilot SS tires. When the replacement was done, I made the mistake of having Costco do the tire replacement as they proceeded to screw up the finish of my pristine wheels. Because of this distraction, I didn't pay attention to the amount of wheel weights being used to balance a couple of my wheels. Well, when I recently had the Pilot SS tires replaced due to being worn out with 4S tires, the indie I took them to told me two of the wheels are bent/warped. So now I get to see if I can get the wheels straightened.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Maybe time for a new look?

Lots of pretty wheels out there!
      07-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
One of my wheels was somehow bent when I switched from the runflats to Michelin AS3+. I was able to get it fixed and it balanced perfectly. But it was mild. I don't see the point in runflats if they can't protect your stuff. I get that you are less likely to be stranded in the middle of nowhere but fix a flat seems to work in most of those cases less a catastrophic failure. And the ride is so much better without runflats. I do have runflats on my Corvette and they seem like normal tires.....perplexing. I don't think my Boxster does.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

Are you offering up your 313s for cheap?

I'm hoping the repair will be good enough. I already have another set of wheels I use for my winter tires which are the 264s. And my current situation (of which you know already talking offline) hasn't been conducive to disposable spending at the moment.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
One of my wheels was somehow bent when I switched from the runflats to Michelin AS3+. I was able to get it fixed and it balanced perfectly. But it was mild. I don't see the point in runflats if they can't protect your stuff. I get that you are less likely to be stranded in the middle of nowhere but fix a flat seems to work in most of those cases less a catastrophic failure. And the ride is so much better without runflats. I do have runflats on my Corvette and they seem like normal tires.....perplexing. I don't think my Boxster does.
That's good to hear. And I agree about the collateral damage being worse than the potential for some flat situation. At least BMW is now offering a non run flat option now. Too late for us though. And with the non run flat option, they should just price the option accordingly with the BMW flat tire kit. I went ahead and bought one from ECS a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Are you offering up your 313s for cheap?

I'm hoping the repair will be good enough. I already have another set of wheels I use for my winter tires which are the 264s. And my current situation (of which you know already talking offline) hasn't been conducive to disposable spending at the moment.
Got it.

And no.... I love my 313s! lol
      07-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:

But none that fit our baby gap wheel wells
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
But none that fit our baby gap whel wells
There are nice wheels out there for our 1ers. As an example, I believe VMR has a few that fit our cars.

Check out this thread: 1er's with VMR's
      07-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I like how the 313s look with upsized tires. A lot less wheel gap, a little more footprint and grip.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I must be the only person who actually liked the stock runflats. They were setup for the car's wallowy-ass suspension and gave lots of easy slides without having to push things.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #11
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
I must be the only person who actually liked the stock runflats. They were setup for the car's wallowy-ass suspension and gave lots of easy slides without having to push things.
Sideways and smiling...until a bump appears and compresses your spine.
      07-26-2018, 03:49 AM   #12
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Sideways and smiling...until a bump appears and compresses your spine.
The car is so soft stock even with runflats I didn't find that to be an issue. And the roads here suck.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #13
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
But none that fit our baby gap whel wells
There are nice wheels out there for our 1ers. As an example, I believe VMR has a few that fit our cars.

Yes those, apex, a select few others. Hard to fit a nice wide wheel and few lightweights. It's a sad world
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 07:19 AM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes those, apex, a select few others. Hard to fit a nice wide wheel and few lightweights. It's a sad world
Maybe this will cheer you up.

07-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The car is so soft stock even with runflats I didn't find that to be an issue. And the roads here suck.
At first, I had the same opinion as you. I thought everyone was over exaggerating about their issues with the run craps. Until I started to drive over various road imperfections. I don't know what your roads are like, but I found slight road imperfections would cause a huge shockwave into the car. Even slight imperfections where the asphalt meets a concrete bridge on highways would feel like I was hitting a pothole.

I'm pretty sure I know what I hit which caused both the front and rear wheel on one side of my car to be messed up. It was a road I drove on at about 40 to 45 MPH. Some construction project was done on it and they put in a temporary asphalt patch. There was enough of a lip to create an edge at the end of the patch which you couldn't see at all driving up to it. Let me tell you, the impact I felt....I thought I was driving my car up over a curb. Not only did I feel like my car was launching into the air, there was also a very loud bang.

I say all of this having had experience with cars with very harsh suspensions. I had a project car a few years ago which I modified the suspension for SCCA autocrossing. The car had Eibach Prokit springs, Bilstein struts, Koni yellow shocks, Energy polyurethane bushings (anti sway bar ends/bushings and control arms), and caster plates. I don't think even with that setup it was as harsh as how the run craps respond to road imperfections.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #16
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
At first, I had the same opinion as you. I thought everyone was over exaggerating about their issues with the run craps. Until I started to drive over various road imperfections. I don't know what your roads are like, but I found slight road imperfections would cause a huge shockwave into the car. Even slight imperfections where the asphalt meets a concrete bridge on highways would feel like I was hitting a pothole.

I'm pretty sure I know what I hit which caused both the front and rear wheel on one side of my car to be messed up. It was a road I drove on at about 40 to 45 MPH. Some construction project was done on it and they put in a temporary asphalt patch. There was enough of a lip to create an edge at the end of the patch which you couldn't see at all driving up to it. Let me tell you, the impact I felt....I thought I was driving my car up over a curb. Not only did I feel like my car was launching into the air, there was also a very loud bang.

I say all of this having had experience with cars with very harsh suspensions. I had a project car a few years ago which I modified the suspension for SCCA autocrossing. The car had Eibach Prokit springs, Bilstein struts, Koni yellow shocks, Energy polyurethane bushings (anti sway bar ends/bushings and control arms), and caster plates. I don't think even with that setup it was as harsh as how the run craps respond to road imperfections.
Exactly. They don't ride or handle much differently to normal tires over the longer, larger humps and bumps in the road, but those sharp imperfections, seams, joints and lips are brutal since they deform the tire down to it's solid sidewall, which is then like riding on a solid metal wheel and tire, which is when you bend wheels since steel is stronger than cast aluminum...
Gangplank1540.50
      07-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
Muppet
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

If you do not have run flats fully inflated then you will have problems with harshness. They will ride on the side walls rather than the entire width of the tire. Exaggerated camber will not help either.

I was advised by a tyre dealer to run them with a few more psi than recommended by BMW and that improved the ride as they are now riding on the middle of the tyre rather than the sidewall. Also a wider tyre will be comparatively softer given the same profile. I have 245/255 front and rear.

I like the sporty feel of a firmer ride and the better turn in on the RFTs. Some like to drive a limousine :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #18
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Quote:
Exactly. They don't ride or handle much differently to normal tires over the longer, larger humps and bumps in the road, but those sharp imperfections, seams, joints and lips are brutal since they deform the tire down to it's solid sidewall, which is then like riding on a solid metal wheel and tire, which is when you bend wheels since steel is stronger than cast aluminum...
BMW's theory on wheels for both cars and bikes is to go soft alloy. The theory being that a deformed wheel is better than a cracked one. I've bent a couple over the years. They do seem to straighten out fine, though.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #19
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Quote:
BMW's theory on wheels for both cars and bikes is to go soft alloy. The theory being that a deformed wheel is better than a cracked one. I've bent a couple over the years. They do seem to straighten out fine, though.
Soft and HEAVY.
      07-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #20
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe this will cheer you up.

[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/CxU2YVf4Ifw64/giphy.gif[/IMG]

Tacos or bust!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Even slight imperfections where the asphalt meets a concrete bridge on highways would feel like I was hitting a pothole.
This was the absolute worst I would literally sit up off the back of the seat before hitting any bridge because here in Maryland they don't know how to properly transition pavement to bridge
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 11:19 PM   #21
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

reading your story just reminded me of mine haha you have no clue i had the same incident with a patch of road missing the entrance and the exit to these things are just brutal way to instant, even 1 inch at those speeds fuc**in hurts. Since the patch i hit was short in distance i couldnt react until i was fully through it and braking only makes it worse if you dont catch it before hand...

needless to say all 4 rims bent in one shot. luckily my bmw tire wheel warranty replaced all 4 wheels for 50 cash
Appreciate 0