BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2023, 10:46 AM   #1
woltersjason
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135is

Light coding options

Curious if anyone has been able to do this, been wanting my turn signal bulbs to not be on when the low beam is on, just a cleaner look. And also to have the rear light bars on with the DRL’s during the day. I have Bimmercode but both of these look to not be an option on it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 04:10 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

To meet NHTSA regulations, the front and rear marker lights must be visible from the side. That is why is it not an option to code them out.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 06:50 PM   #3
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: alpine white 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
To meet NHTSA regulations, the front and rear marker lights must be visible from the side. That is why is it not an option to code them out.
Huh? You can absolutely code them out with Bimmercode. Of course it doesn’t meet regs but to say it isn’t an option is false information.
Appreciate 2
Ab28591.00
      03-08-2023, 08:28 PM   #4
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
I think I used Carly?

03-08-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Make sure your auto insurance is still valid. You have voluntarily made your car non conforming. If you were to be in a mishap, and it could be attributed to lack of visibility because the corner lights were deliberately coded out.... well... maybe a Netflix mini series?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:11 PM   #6
woltersjason
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
I think I used Carly?

Yes, exactly what I'm trying to do. Might have to try Carly, Bimmercode was a bust.

Quote:
Make sure your auto insurance is still valid. You have voluntarily made your car non conforming. If you were to be in a mishap, and it could be attributed to lack of visibility because the corner lights were deliberately coded out.... well... maybe a Netflix mini series?
Making this way too serious. In no way would this affect any of that. A dim orange halogen bulb next to a very bright xenon and LED running light has no affect on safety.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:13 PM   #7
woltersjason
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchgolf135 View Post
Huh? You can absolutely code them out with Bimmercode. Of course it doesn’t meet regs but to say it isn’t an option is false information.
What option did you select? Best I could figure was to code out "Corner LED with Low Beam Active" and it didn't work
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:20 PM   #8
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woltersjason View Post
Yes, exactly what I'm trying to do. Might have to try Carly, Bimmercode was a bust.

Making this way too serious. In no way would this affect any of that. A dim orange halogen bulb next to a very bright xenon and LED running light has no affect on safety.
There's a difference between what a new vehicle manufacturer can sell and what can be legally driven on the road. At least in California, "corner lights" aren't even mentioned in the vehicle code.

https://california.public.law/codes/..._div_12_chap_2
      03-09-2023, 05:29 AM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Actually it does:

California Vehicle Code
Sec. 25100
(a)Except as provided in subdivisions (b) and (d), every vehicle 80 inches or more in overall width shall be equipped during darkness as follows:
(1)At least one amber clearance lamp on each side mounted on a forward-facing portion of the vehicle and visible from the front and at least one red clearance lamp on each side mounted on a rearward-facing portion of the vehicle and visible from the rear.
(2)At least one amber side-marker lamp on each side near the front and at least one red side-marker lamp on each side near the rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 08:37 AM   #10
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
There's a difference between what a new vehicle manufacturer can sell and what can be legally driven on the road. At least in California, "corner lights" aren't even mentioned in the vehicle code.

https://california.public.law/codes/..._div_12_chap_2
I referred to them as "corner lights". The regulations above from California are also implicit in all US and Canadian jurisdictions. The language would be identical.

Manufacturers, have mostly adopted front and rear (amber and red) lights on the corners to comply with the front and side visibility requirements. Some vehicles with front only ambers have also placed another one on the front fender visible from the side.

If you code the ambers out, then quite simply your vehicle does not comply, and would be subject to your local/state/provincial enforcement agencies to notice and take appropriate action.

Conceivably, driving a non-compliant vehicle might subject you to legal action (especially perhaps in California?) if you were to be involved in an accident (foggy evening?) where visibility could be an issue. Will your insurance company stand behind you regardless? Goodbye house? Goodbye 401k?

Perhaps have your lawyer request a letter from your insurance company granting you a waiver?

Another Michael Connely Novel - "The Lincoln Lawyer - Missing Amber?"

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 09:21 AM   #11
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

the entire house of cards will fall once authorities find the 'black box' in the smoking remains of your car - and discover that 'gasp'! . . . you coded out those corner lights!?!

if only you had thought things through beforehand, tsk tsk shaking head
notify next of kin
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2023, 12:59 PM   #12
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Actually it does:

California Vehicle Code
Sec. 25100
(a)Except as provided in subdivisions (b) and (d), every vehicle 80 inches or more in overall width shall be equipped during darkness as follows:
(1)At least one amber clearance lamp on each side mounted on a forward-facing portion of the vehicle and visible from the front and at least one red clearance lamp on each side mounted on a rearward-facing portion of the vehicle and visible from the rear.
(2)At least one amber side-marker lamp on each side near the front and at least one red side-marker lamp on each side near the rear.
Pretty sure the E82 isn't "80 inches or more in overall width", but good try.
      03-09-2023, 03:36 PM   #13
scratchgolf135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: alpine white 135i

Quote:
Pretty sure the E82 isn't "80 inches or more in overall width", but good try.
This is the very reason the Ford Raptor comes with the yellow markers in the grill that everyone has since copied, is because it exceeds 80" in width.
      03-09-2023, 09:02 PM   #14
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

From the ultimate source: Wikipedia!

Side marker lights and reflectors

In the United States, amber front and red rear side marker lights and retroreflectors are required. The law initially required lights or retroreflectors on vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1968. This was amended to require lights and retroreflectors on vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1970.[44] These side-facing devices make the vehicle's presence, position and direction of travel clearly visible from oblique angles.[44] The lights are wired so as to illuminate whenever the vehicles' parking lights and tail lights are on, including when the headlights are being used.[10] Front amber side markers in the United States may be wired so as to flash in synchronous phase or opposite-phase with the turn signals; nevertheless, they are not required to flash at all.[45] Side markers are permitted but not required on cars and light passenger vehicles outside the United States and Canada. If installed, they are required to be brighter and visible through a larger horizontal angle than US side markers, may flash only in synchronous phase with the turn signals (but are not required to flash), and they must be amber at the front and rear, except rear side markers may be red if they are grouped, combined, or reciprocally incorporated with another rear lighting function that is required to be red.[22]
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 10:04 PM   #15
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Yes, that's what I said. Manufacturers can't sell new cars without those features.

Quote:
From the ultimate source: Wikipedia!

Side marker lights and reflectors

In the United States, amber front and red rear side marker lights and retroreflectors are required. The law initially required lights or retroreflectors on vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1968. This was amended to require lights and retroreflectors on vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1970.[44] These side-facing devices make the vehicle's presence, position and direction of travel clearly visible from oblique angles.[44] The lights are wired so as to illuminate whenever the vehicles' parking lights and tail lights are on, including when the headlights are being used.[10] Front amber side markers in the United States may be wired so as to flash in synchronous phase or opposite-phase with the turn signals; nevertheless, they are not required to flash at all.[45] Side markers are permitted but not required on cars and light passenger vehicles outside the United States and Canada. If installed, they are required to be brighter and visible through a larger horizontal angle than US side markers, may flash only in synchronous phase with the turn signals (but are not required to flash), and they must be amber at the front and rear, except rear side markers may be red if they are grouped, combined, or reciprocally incorporated with another rear lighting function that is required to be red.[22]