BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
bEchev25
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Which tire do you recommend?

Hey y'all,

Unfortunately my tire is ready for a change due to a leak. Which tires do you recommend for my 135i?

When I bought the car, I was given a winter set and a summer set, so I would be needed a summer tire.

I live in NY, if that has any importance.

The tires I current have (size), are:
225/40ZR18(92Y)
245/35ZR18(92Y)

Also, any recommended place where to get the best deal?

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
CivicDuty
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Fire hawk Indy 500 are great value for dollar if you're not putting on runflats.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicDuty View Post
Fire hawk Indy 500 are great value for dollar if you're not putting on runflats.
Agree, also if it just regular city use Pilot Super Sports are a common buy, but more expensive.

For track/Street a tire like the Hankook RS4 is nice, but it has a low tread-wear rating and wears faster than the tires mentioned above but better grip.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
bEchev25
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
I currently have RunFlats, what are your thoughts on which is better? Aside from the obvious pro
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bEchev25 View Post
Quote:
I currently have RunFlats, what are your thoughts on which is better? Aside from the obvious pro
Literally any tire is better than the stock run flats. If your concerned abt a flat carry one of the run flats in your car or get a mini spare.

For perspective I would rather run a snow tire in the summer over the run flats haha.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      07-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
CivicDuty
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bEchev25 View Post
Quote:
People say in general that non runflats don't have as stiff of a sidewall (true) and can feel the tire roll over on hard cornering.

Honestly, I've been to the track with mine and I like how the car performs with the Indy 500. I have the stock M Sport suspension so yeah, same understeer when really pushed but not as bad as everyone seems to complain. I don't get paid to race and this is my daily, everything has to be taken in perspective and you have to be realistic about what you want. I'm running 225/255 F/R.

Here's a link to track footage from last year. Stock tune.

Good luck with your choice!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would ditch the run flats. Once you go back to regular tires you won't believe how much better the car rides and drives. The only downside is a less sharper turn in or lane changing ability.

I would go with Michelin PS4 or PS4S. The PSS is the older tire. What I LOVE about the Michelin's is that they are quite, have a great ride and drive just like new even when worn down to the thread bars. Their grip in the rain is unreal!! This tire will spoil you. It's a great tire.

Most tires make that bad wheel bearing sound when they start to get old... I'm talking to you Continental! But the PS4 are such a wonderful tire. The only other negative this is tire life on our car's isn't the best. ~15K to 20K miles for the rears.

Lots of people upgrade the front tires to 225's and 255's in the rear. This combo works great. Or your can go with 225's/245's.

My new Michelin PS3’s 225’s & 255’s…
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510873

The important thing to remember is IF you ditch the runflats... you need a tire with a STIFF sidewall. Be sure to get the XL or XXL sidewall specs on your new tire.

Michelin(and others) also make runflat tires too. IF you want to stick with RFT's. But honestly they are so much more money, ride hard like a rocks. And you can feel the unsprung weight when you switch to regular tires. You just have to spec high quality tires(when getting regular) tires bc sometimes your can make the car's handling too sketchy with cheap tires. Spend the money on Michelins.

With runflats you can more the steering wheel say 1/4 inch(at highway speeds) and the car will move. With regular tires I'd say you have to move the steering wheel 3/4 of an inch before the car moves. That is the one negative down side to ditching RFTs.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 1
beattiecj125.00