BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

12-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #45
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
I don't understand why anyone would prefer a piggy-back unit to a reflash. (bmw "approved" reflash)
The dreaded smog test.

CVN verification will likely be a part of future emssions testing.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #46
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ~ View Post
I predict that Dinan won't be replacing or paying for any motor that is destroyed after installing Dinan's sofware. You assume the risk; you are on your own.
Then there's no real reason to get Dinan...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 01:31 AM   #47
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
There are many ways of avoiding liability. Like: "for off-road use only" or just look at what Mitsubishi did with Evo owners. They didn't cover drivetrain failures for people they could prove were engaged in racing.

What is the replacement cost (engine price and labor) for a factory new N54?

I predict that Dinan won't be replacing or paying for any motor that is destroyed after installing Dinan's sofware. You assume the risk; you are on your own.
Dinan has been around since 79, and their warranty program was introduced in cooperation of BMW of North America. Steve Dinan stands by his products. Major R&D is done before releasing a product, hence the reason they are late in releasing software for x35i engines. If your going to tune your Bimmer Dinan is the way to go.

Dinan warranties are legit and they are actually transferable when in the event you sell the car.

The only thing I advise is to not use any other brand aftermarket parts with Dinan, this could void their warranty. Strictly use Dinan parts only, they are the best anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #48
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
Dinan has been around since 79, and their warranty program was introduced in cooperation of BMW of North America. Steve Dinan stands by his products. Major R&D is done before releasing a product, hence the reason they are late in releasing software for x35i engines. If your going to tune your Bimmer Dinan is the way to go.

Dinan warranties are legit and they are actually transferable when in the event you sell the car.

The only thing I advise is to not use any other brand aftermarket parts with Dinan, this could void their warranty. Strictly use Dinan parts only, they are the best anyways.

Well said ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #49
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:

in what way? Dinan is a high quality high priced street tuner. for the average BMW owner that wants some extra performance sure there great. bur if you talking about performance you can get a lot more for less money elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #50
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

We shell out 40K for a car and worry about a few hundred dollars difference between software.

For me Dinan will get my money. They have be tuning BMWs for years. Vishnu on the other hand cant possibly have the resources and focus that Dinan does when BMW only represents a part of their market.

It all comes down to personal preference and availability. Go with the tuner who has representation in your area.

If money is the point then get juicebox.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #51
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
We shell out 40K for a car and worry about a few hundred dollars difference between software.

For me Dinan will get my money. They have be tuning BMWs for years. Vishnu on the other hand cant possibly have the resources and focus that Dinan does when BMW only represents a part of their market.

It all comes down to personal preference and availability. Go with the tuner who has representation in your area.

If money is the point then get juicebox.
i agree with some of your statment but you're talking about price as if they are both the same (kinda) product when one is more a reflash and the other is a completly programable piggy back.. You're right when you say a few bucks should'nt come between you and the right system.. but they are very different and thus provide pro's and con's for both..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #52
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast kiwi View Post
i agree with some of your statment but you're talking about price as if they are both the same (kinda) product when one is more a reflash and the other is a completly programable piggy back.. You're right when you say a few bucks should'nt come between you and the right system.. but they are very different and thus provide pro's and con's for both..
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:19 AM   #53
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
in what way? Dinan is a high quality high priced street tuner. for the average BMW owner that wants some extra performance sure there great. bur if you talking about performance you can get a lot more for less money elsewhere.

Well when it comes to modding my BMWs, I don't do it to save money. I want reliability, great performance, and peace of mind. They offer just about everything you would want. For a car like mine that has been out a number of years (545i), the list is almost endless. Not sure if you have ever dealt with Dinan, but their products and service are first class. Dinan buys their competitors products like software, and they do their own tests, most of the time they conclude that their competitors hp claims are false.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #54
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:

Well when it comes to modding my BMWs, I don't do it to save money. I want reliability, great performance, and peace of mind. They offer just about everything you would want. For a car like mine that has been out a number of years (545i), the list is almost endless. Not sure if you have ever dealt with Dinan, but their products and service are first class. Dinan buys their competitors products like software, and they do their own tests, most of the time they conclude that their competitors hp claims are false.

I've owned a number of Dinan products and I'll never deny there quality especially in the last 10 or so years. For a car like a 545i I would definitely buy Dinan products. Dinan does make some of the best street performance parts. But If your looking for max performance there are others that walk all over Dinan. I'm looking for hard core performance parts witch they are not. so for me Dinan is hardly the best. for someone else as your self Dinan fits. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #55
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Turner motorsports has had a reflash out for over 6 months

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...CT_ID=TN54-ST1

and...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:31 AM   #56
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
They told the dealers to CUT the ALUMINUM frame of the Z8 in order to make the E39 M5 headers fit!!! They did the right thing for each owner, but it still says something about a tuner.

As for the reflash being impossible...http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Shark_Injector.htm

John is a well known and respected figure amonst tuners(look at his Vettes). He was the ONLY one to "crack" the old OBDII e46's BMW's.

No need to look at the link you posted since I noted the last part of the URL. That has no bearing on the new ECU's which have evolved to a higher bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #57
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:

:bs:
Performance without reliability, is not performance.... it's pozing!

Buy a Terry Tuner then... and tell me how confident you are!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #58
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
and...

if you noticed I was quoting and highlight your statement of it being impossible to crack the bmw encryption. so...and its not impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Performance without reliability, is not performance.... it's pozing!

Buy a Terry Tuner then... and tell me how confident you are!

-Garrett
for you putting ultimate reliability(possibly) before performance is fine but I have no issue with tinkering with my car on a regular basis I actually enjoy it. and seeing my car is going to blow the doors off someones reliable Dinan I'll be quite happy with that. as I said previously Dinan will be great for some people but I'm much more into hard core on the edge performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #59
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Won't discredit the merits of Dinan's work, I have no experience with it, but 2G's for a flash is :bs:. It's VIN specific so that $2K is a complete sunk cost. Spending the $2K isn't the issue for me, if the other choices, AA, Vishnu, whoever, were the same price even non-warrantied they would still be my choice. At least I have options with it when I'm done with the car. I can transfer it to another x35 car or sell it should whatever happen, sale, accident, etc. I'm picturing someone buying this, then crashing the car the next week. Bye bye $2G's, never to be seen again.

What % of BMW's are leased? NO way would I do this if I were leasing my car. Some1 please correct me if I'm wrong in assuming Dinan will not offer a replacement flash should some unforeseen event happen with your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #60
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep

Hondata, where are you?

There is a market for your talents, Doug.

Bavariadata sounds really, really good!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #61
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hondata, where are you?

There is a market for your talents, Doug.

Bavariadata sounds really, really good!
They much so much money over there in Honda land, I'm sure they could care less. However I did drop the hint regardless.

How does "N54-Pro" Sound AJ?
      12-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #62
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

What mod would one suggest if they were going to lease? I am guessing piggy-back but I was just wondering what others thought.
      12-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #63
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo View Post
They much so much money over there in Honda land, I'm sure they could care less. However I did drop the hint regardless.

How does "N54-Pro" Sound AJ?
Sounds really good my man.

You are right about the money in Honda Land.

Too bad. Imagine what Doug could do to the N54...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #64
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

How much time does it take and what tools? I should ask skill as well I guess.
      12-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #65
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
How much time does it take and what tools? I should ask skill as well I guess.

Billions of threads on PROcede.... this one is for DINAN.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #66
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

roger that