BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Questions on JL 500/1 + W6 setup

I have an 09 with the "Premium hi-fi" option, and would like to add a little more kick to the stereo. I am considering the common JL 500/1 amp with a 10" W6, but I have a few questions as I'm a bit new to this:

1.) Do I need a Line Output Convertor? It seems from my searches that most are using it, but from what I also read, the JL amp has high/low filters and it shouldn't be required. I'd like to simply hook to speaker outputs using this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136CLR2...W.html?tp=2610
2.) Do I need a remote wire? Again, it seems most are using it, but once again I read the JL amp is supposed to have signal sensing switch on to simply use the speaker wires as an ON switch.
3.) I see many threads on splicing into the Logic 7 amp wires. Since I have Premium Hi-Fi, I'm assuming this may be different. Anyone find wiring diagrams or how-tos for this? I hear it's in the trunk instead of the side panel, is this true?
4.) Just a generic question, but what's considered the best practice for splicing into the wires mentioned in the above question? Anyone have a pre-spliced connector harness kinda like this for Hi-Fi?: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ighlight=logic

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

I too have the "premium hifi" system which is the standard system on our cars for '08-'09. I am running the JL 500/1 with the 10" JL W6 subwoofer.

1) I did use a LOC for the signal. I believe you are correct about the JL amp, but I did wire up mine using the LOC.

2) I first tried without a remote wire but was not able to get it to work. I ended up running a quick wire from the accessory slot in the fusebox behind the glovebox and ran that to the trunk.

3) Wiring between the logic & our standard system will be different. There's alot of threads both on here & also e90post about wiring. This thread will help with the wiring for our vehicles http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87130 .

4) If Technic has the pre-spliced connectors available for non logic cars, that's the way to go. Very clean way of doing it. The other option is to use taps.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

By the way, here's my setup. Many others are running something very similar to this.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Thanks for the great info. Pity about the remote wire, I like minimalistic approaches that work well.
I did run across your setup in a few threads, and if I decide to pull the trigger on this, I'll be PMing you for the sub enclosure, very clean and nice looking.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0