BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Coding and flashing via apps

Hello all,

Hoping someone can de-mistify some of the coding and dongle related confusion I've been having lately. My apologies in advance if I'm asking any questions that have already been answered, I think my Google-fu skills are alright sometimes.

What I'm trying to accomplish is minimize the amount of cables/wireless dongles needed to code and flash the car. Currently, I plan on buying the BMS MHD cable to flash a MHD tune via Twisted Tuning at some point. Now, where the confusion comes, is can I use that same cable to code with Carly? I know you can buy their "special" dongle for ~$70, but I'm hoping there's another alternative.

Does anyone know if there's one cable that can be used with both the MHD tuning app on Android and Carly? I have a spare Android tablet that came with my super special smart TV that I plann to re-purpose. I'm open to using laptop software too for coding, but I would guess that means using two separate cables. I know ProTool popped up, haven't read too much into that yet!
duder13767.00
      05-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Carly requires its own DONGLE. That means a piece of proprietary hardware the purpose of which is to ensure you pay them money. You would think this might be obvious to you given the pictures of their branded, wireless adaptors and the fact that their app is free.

The cable you use for MHD is entirely separate and not proprietary. There are a bunch of different options that work.

Therefore you need 2 devices, one for each app.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I find mention of using an OTG cable for Carly on Android on their website so I assume this is compatible. (google Carly BMW OTG)

As for the previous comment, I have the carly app for iPhone and use an Amazon (non Carly OBD-II) adapter that works fine for me. I don't think it has all functionality available (real time data), but I use MHD to log etc when needed.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Carly requires its own DONGLE. That means a piece of proprietary hardware the purpose of which is to ensure you pay them money. You would think this might be obvious to you given the pictures of their branded, wireless adaptors and the fact that their app is free.

The cable you use for MHD is entirely separate and not proprietary. There are a bunch of different options that work.

Therefore you need 2 devices, one for each app.
Right, I'm aware their dongle is expensive and proprietary, I don't want to pay for it. I mostly want that specific cable because it goes straight from OBD2 to micro USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
I find mention of using an OTG cable for Carly on Android on their website so I assume this is compatible. (google Carly BMW OTG)

As for the previous comment, I have the carly app for iPhone and use an Amazon (non Carly OBD-II) adapter that works fine for me. I don't think it has all functionality available (real time data), but I use MHD to log etc when needed.
Somehow I didn't think of searching that phrase, thanks for that. Was there anything specific you looked for in the non-carly adapters? If I need to buy one I want whatever is cheap that'll work for just coding.
      05-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

If I were you, I would start with the Cable for MHD (OTG cable). Then you can just try that one with the Carly App.

I run the Carly App on iPhone and I think the adapters use different protocols (WiFi-iPhone vs Bluetooth-Android), so I wouldn't know which cheaper one would work for you.

I also heard MHD is coming out with a wireless adapter soon, but I don't know timing on it.

Besides Carly, there are other apps out there that might be worth looking into such as the ProTools/Bimmergeeks app for Android (I heard it's cheaper and might be better than Carly)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
If I were you, I would start with the Cable for MHD (OTG cable). Then you can just try that one with the Carly App.

I run the Carly App on iPhone and I think the adapters use different protocols (WiFi-iPhone vs Bluetooth-Android), so I wouldn't know which cheaper one would work for you.

I also heard MHD is coming out with a wireless adapter soon, but I don't know timing on it.

Besides Carly, there are other apps out there that might be worth looking into such as the ProTools/Bimmergeeks app for Android (I heard it's cheaper and might be better than Carly)
I'll definitely do that and report what I find. Figured I'd ask in case someone already figured out, or at least has the same question as me. I have an iPhone too, I'd probably buy a WiFi adapter if necessary.
      05-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Carly works perfectly fine via cable, no limitations or restrictions.

Any /good/ K+DCan cable should work fine, I'm using the cable from bimmer software .com, got the one that came with an OTG cable which lets me connect my tablet. For my phone I use the OTG adapter that came with it (USB>USBC). Of course, no OTG required to connect the laptop.

I use the same cable for MHD, xHP, Carly and BMW software like INPA and such. Have the cable hardwired over to the center console so it stays out of the way and is a handy location for logging or flashing.
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Carly works perfectly fine via cable, no limitations or restrictions.

Any /good/ K+DCan cable should work fine, I'm using the cable from bimmer software .com, got the one that came with an OTG cable which lets me connect my tablet. For my phone I use the OTG adapter that came with it (USB>USBC). Of course, no OTG required to connect the laptop.

I use the same cable for MHD, xHP, Carly and BMW software like INPA and such. Have the cable hardwired over to the center console so it stays out of the way and is a handy location for logging or flashing.
I figured that was the case, glad to know one cable can be used for what I need.
      05-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I think the cheapest way to do coding is to get the free NCSExpert and INPA software, like from Bimmergeeks, and a good cable. I haven't done it in years but that is what I did. I think the Bimmergeeks cable is about $40. NCSExpert is neither easy or terribly difficult to use. The biggest issue is that it is not intuitive, you must do the steps correctly in the correct sequence but if you do, it works great. An advantage of this approach is that it is very powerful. You have access to all the software on your car. The basic process is you download the section of the software you want to change setting in, it will be an ascii file, change what you want to, and upload it to the car. The settings are all in German.

I also have an OBDII to bluetooth adapter but I only use it to use Torque, a simpler application that allows you to read and clear trouble codes. I prefer the hardwired connection for coding, if there is a glitch in the middle of the process it can mess you up (but not disasterously if you have a backup).
      05-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I think the cheapest way to do coding is to get the free NCSExpert and INPA software, like from Bimmergeeks, and a good cable. I haven't done it in years but that is what I did. I think the Bimmergeeks cable is about $40. NCSExpert is neither easy or terribly difficult to use. The biggest issue is that it is not intuitive, you must do the steps correctly in the correct sequence but if you do, it works great. An advantage of this approach is that it is very powerful. You have access to all the software on your car. The basic process is you download the section of the software you want to change setting in, it will be an ascii file, change what you want to, and upload it to the car. The settings are all in German.

I also have an OBDII to bluetooth adapter but I only use it to use Torque, a simpler application that allows you to read and clear trouble codes. I prefer the hardwired connection for coding, if there is a glitch in the middle of the process it can mess you up (but not disasterously if you have a backup).
I used to read and diagnose code for a living, shouldn't be too difficult to figure that software out and save some $$$. I see bimmergeeks sells their cable + otg connector, might as well go with that and nerd out a lil bit this weekend. Much appreciated.
      05-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #11
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

If you are interested in reading and diagnosing code for a different application for our cars, I know another thread/forum that needs help in trying to crack the coding for the TCU (transmission). They're trying to get the ability to adjust clamping force, revise launch control RPM etc.

PM me and I can point you in their direction if you're interested in helping.
Appreciate 0