BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #23
the1andony
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

i sugest a infiniti
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #24
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

I think you guys should start a website for recovering 1 addicts so that we can get on with our addictions.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #25
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

wow linus, "Buying a BMW is not necessarily a rational purchase, but one can employ rationality in the purchase process."
I'm going to take the liberty of using that quote (with due credit to you); WELL SAID.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #26
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

don t worry guys.....it s just a matter of time before bmw drop rates AND msp....
i really doubt the car will be the huge success everyone is anticipating...(with these prices and rates)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #27
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G35 Coupe

I really don't know what to get now. I would wait for the rate to drop but unless it happens in the next 1 1/2 months, it won't do me any good because the lease on my current vehicle is up in the first week of May. I don't want an Infiniti because I used to have a 2003 G35 coupe and want to try something new. As I recall, I put my deposit on that one 5 months before it came out too!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #28
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinthewolf View Post
I think you guys should start a website for recovering 1 addicts so that we can get on with our addictions.
Hahaha.....recovering 1 addicts!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I'm actually thinking of leasing a WRX for 2 years, just enough time for the 135 to come down in rate (maybe even price). Let the lawsuits and market play out a bit. Subaru has 0.9% lease/finance for 24months. Not necessarily the car I'm interested in, just the timing and price seem to work.
      03-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #30
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I'm actually thinking of leasing a WRX for 2 years, just enough time for the 135 to come down in rate (maybe even price). Let the lawsuits and market play out a bit. Subaru has 0.9% lease/finance for 24months. Not necessarily the car I'm interested in, just the timing and price seem to work.
I too am thinking about a Subaru except I'm thinking about the STI. It's tough because there is nothing else out there that really competes with the 1 except the 3 series. At least it'll be fast and fun with practicality. Good luck with the WRX, the AWD would be great in Calgary!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:09 AM   #31
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermotard View Post
I too am thinking about a Subaru except I'm thinking about the STI. It's tough because there is nothing else out there that really competes with the 1 except the 3 series. At least it'll be fast and fun with practicality. Good luck with the WRX, the AWD would be great in Calgary!
The STI was my first choice, but I find it's equally as expensive as the 135i. It also comes with tons of stuff I don't need, like navigation, and a 7" DVD player.. What I'd really like is the drivetrain of an STI in a WRX... Leave out the 11 SI drive modes and trim it down to 3 sorta thing.

The big grab for me seems to be that it's a good solution for 2 years, biding my time until the 135i is more affordable. And by affordable, I mean ethical in terms of financing.
      03-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #32
pwong888
Private
Rep
Drives:

I will go for C350 now, it start at 47900 and come with sunroof, leather, logic 7, automatic and AMG sport package already, when leasing the monthly is around 730 plus tax.
I think there is a problem with the BMW marketing, the 335i start at 49900(2K more than MB) except the sunroof, everything is an option. Nowaday I don't understand how BMW can competive with Mecerdes anymore.
For an (entrance level) 135i, the price for a loaded 1er is more than the price of a loaded C350 and the monthly lease is almost 1k, I don't think anyone will go for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #33
135iowner
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i / 1M on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAM View Post
don t worry guys.....it s just a matter of time before bmw drop rates AND msp....
i really doubt the car will be the huge success everyone is anticipating...(with these prices and rates)
I half agree withyour statement here. BMW will drop the interest rate eventually and maybe MRSP ( but not much if any ) however i think this car will be a success for them. They already know about the anticipation of this car an being only a certain amount being shipped to Canada ( 2500 ) I think what they are trying to do is to weed out the poeple that tend to rely on lease or finance. Think about it if they offered the same rates as the 3 series, wouldn't u think that would greatly affect their sales on the 3series in a negative way. They wanna launch the 1 will success but at the same time they wanna move the 3er also. Plus they probably wanna see how many actual people are set on the 1 series regardless of high interest rates. Then they will lower the interest rates but add a few more options in the forth coming years of th 1 (eg. foglights,lsd,standard leather etc.) an their margin of profit will be roughly the same. I real feel for all the fellas that are not getting this car now but BMW is doing what THEY think is right from a business stand point.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iowner View Post
I half agree withyour statement here. BMW will drop the interest rate eventually and maybe MRSP ( but not much if any ) however i think this car will be a success for them. They already know about the anticipation of this car an being only a certain amount being shipped to Canada ( 2500 ) I think what they are trying to do is to weed out the poeple that tend to rely on lease or finance. Think about it if they offered the same rates as the 3 series, wouldn't u think that would greatly affect their sales on the 3series in a negative way. They wanna launch the 1 will success but at the same time they wanna move the 3er also. Plus they probably wanna see how many actual people are set on the 1 series regardless of high interest rates. Then they will lower the interest rates but add a few more options in the forth coming years of th 1 (eg. foglights,lsd,standard leather etc.) an their margin of profit will be roughly the same. I real feel for all the fellas that are not getting this car now but BMW is doing what THEY think is right from a business stand point.
I totally agree with you..... I myself cant wait.. unless something drastic happens I am getting mine in April..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #35
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
I agree that lease and financing rates for the 1er will likely come down over time, but I doubt that MSRPs will.
Compared to every other country (except for the U.S.) the price of our 1er is a bargain. Even against other BMW series in Canada, the 1er is a steal.
You can get a fully loaded 135i Cabrio for less than the lowest price base MSRP Z4 - and the 135i Cabrio will likely not only smoke the Z4, but is a hell of a lot more practical (and have higher resale).
My 128i cabrio is $18K LT a comparably equipped 328i Cabrio, and is $10K LT than what I paid for my comparably equipped 2.5i Z4 over 5.5 years ago..
So unless BMW drops MSRP across the board on all their series, they'll only be stealing sales from their more profitable lines if they reduce 1er prices. :iono:
And given global inflationary pressures coupled with tightening economies, price increases in the longer run may be more probable than price reductions (IMHO).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #36
Drizzt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iowner View Post
I do think that this car will be a success for BMW but I don't think they are trying to weed out the people that lease or finance. My dealer told me more than 60% of their customers lease their cars, so based on that fact, BMW is knowingly taking advantage of us who lease which goes back to the principle of the whole thing for me. BMW keeps breaking sales records in Canada year after year so I don't blame them because they know that regardless of what they do, there will be people who are willing to pay a premium for their cars. I'm just not one of them and as Stefan said, I would feel like such an idiot if I was locked into a 7.75% lease rate when they drop it down to 4.9% or lower later on. The STI that I'm looking at now is only cheaper than my 135i by around $4000 but at least I won't feel like I'm getting a raw deal. Linus said that buying a BMW is not a rational process and I absolutely agree with him. When I really want something, I can overlook and justify many things, but after the honeymoon period with my car, I'll still be stuck with the high interest rate.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #37
YYZATC
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I agree that lease and financing rates for the 1er will likely come down over time, but I doubt that MSRPs will.
Compared to every other country (except for the U.S.) the price of our 1er is a bargain. Even against other BMW series in Canada, the 1er is a steal.
You can get a fully loaded 135i Cabrio for less than the lowest price base MSRP Z4 - and the 135i Cabrio will likely not only smoke the Z4, but is a hell of a lot more practical (and have higher resale).
My 128i cabrio is $18K LT a comparably equipped 328i Cabrio, and is $10K LT than what I paid for my comparably equipped 2.5i Z4 over 5.5 years ago..
So unless BMW drops MSRP across the board on all their series, they'll only be stealing sales from their more profitable lines if they reduce 1er prices. :iono:
And given global inflationary pressures coupled with tightening economies, price increases in the longer run may be more probable than price reductions (IMHO).
The 1er is a steal against other BMW's in Canada??? :iono:
With a lease or finance it is more expensive then a 335i! That sure is a "steal"! Not sure I would use that word unless I worked at BMW Canada, as a consumer I would go with something more like ripoff.

On another note, I just heard from a BMW SA that they all think the rates are extremely high and that in April BMW Canada will be revisiting these rates. So there is a chance that these rates could drop by May 1st. I beleive I also saw on a document somewhere that the initial rates were valid till April 30th.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #38
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinthewolf View Post
It's not like everybody is trying to talk you out of buying & enjoying your 135. There are lots and lots of enthusiastic threads here.

Personally, I'm glad to have a few people presenting the other side, that the car just doesn't provide enough value for them, and their thoughts leading up to that decision. It's not like some forums where you've got some goof posting "xxxxx sucks" in every thread. Instead, this is a valuable discussion, in my view.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #39
Cossac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
I tend to agree. In my experience it happend to every "highly anticipatd" and " limited production car" I have ever owned. Integra Type R, Subaru WRX, MazdaSpeed3. Initial sales were great. People who wanted to have them bought them no matter what. After that you could not sell one. My recent experience is with MazdaSpeed3. Great car, great hype after the initial announcement....... only 500 in Canada. Was hard to get. Now every dealership has one or two readily available for sale at 0% over 60 months and 1,9% over 72 months financing. I will pass on the 1er for the time being. Reflecting on all the previous posts , I love the product but hate the company management attitude.
With respect to all sides.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #40
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^

I agree that there's hype about this car, I don't know if I would say that the hype around this car is at the same level of anticipation as the STi or the Evo. I think you guys are all right to point out that initial sales will be good though....most new model do very well. I do agree that sales will start to slow down a bit though.

When we complain about the rates, I think we forget that new models usually never get discounted. With that said I still do think the rates are still higher then is reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #41
harbour456
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Audi S4 (prev E90 330i)

I'm quite happy to know that I'm not the only one who considers what BMW Canada is doing to be pure and simple gouging! I presently drive a 2006 330i which is already out of warranty due to a long commute which fortunately I no longer have to do. I love BMW's but I hate being taken advantage of even more. I am simply going to sit on the sidelines for a while and watch the lease and finance rates on the 135i come down... they almost certainly will. I have found that as I get older and my income increases that I have more respect for the work that went into earning it then I did when I was younger. Just because you CAN afford it doesn't mean you HAVE to spend it. Most savvy business-people (which actually isn't me!) don't like feeling like they're being taken to the cleaners! Although I love my BMW and would love a 135i even more I've always hated the arrogance of the brand and those that sell them.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #42
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

Interest rate for an e90 3 series was 7.2 % back in summer 2005 when the new model just came out....

Many brands are lowering their price including german car makers (Volkswagen, audi, porsche.....)

most bmw buyers are not interested by the pure performance thing as we are....they will not see the 1 serie as good value for money as they do for a 323i or 328i

We just need to wait a bit....

regarding me there is no way I m going to pay more for a 135i than a 335i !!!! (lease)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #43
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I'm waiting. On a relative value basis, I'm looking to pick up a used car in the US instead. The 135i is fantastic, but when it's easy to get a 04 M3 or 05 S4 for under $25k... dunno, it's tempting to slum around for a couple of years and wait for Cdn prices to adjust. It's tough to justify paying a premium for a car where value is part of the buying decision. A new M3 in the US starts at $56k!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #44
Sugarphreak
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermotard View Post
Hey everyone,

Like Ronsil, Rsen and some others here, I too will most likely be taking my deposit back due to this non stop gouging by BMW. I went to my dealer and worked out lease payments for my 135i and a 335i coupe and it was actually $55 cheaper for me to get the 335i! My dealer also doesn't agree with BMW and has brought this to their reps attention using my example and they will be taking this to head office. He said that there is a chance that they may drop the rate but I won't be holding my breath. I test drove the 335i and it didn't inspire me and it's just not what I want. I can afford either one but now it's the principle. Unless they lower the rate by the time my car arrives, I will be spending my money elsewhere.
Good luck to all who is still getting this car and I know you will be getting a great car! Personally, I'm just sick of getting shafted by BMW.
Why are you wanting to lease instead of finance?
Appreciate 0