BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #89
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

"The amazing thing - the car ran two 45 minute races without going into 'limp home' mode!!! "

Has "limp home mode" been an issue under any circumstances? (i.e. more time on the track, hotter days, etc.)

My understanding is a stock 135i with its extra oil cooler is doing fine being pushed hard at the track unlike its predecessor the 335i?

I think I have read a couple of threads where a 135i has had some issue once software was added though.

To all readers, is this conclusion correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:26 AM   #90
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

The only 135i to go into limp mode that I have heard of was the Bimmerworld One Lap Of America car. That was during its sorting out and they added another oil cooler to increase capacity. End of problem.
      06-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #91
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

The One Lap Of America - pretty highly tuned - car had a limp mode experience on a test track day, a couple of weeks before the One Lap actually started. They added another auxiliary oil cooler, and all was well.

That's the only track induced limp I've heard of on a 135i. The Gotlandring and the Laguna Seca launch events had these cars being flogged for days on end, with not one limp reported. If it did have an issue that anybody saw, it would have made big news.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #92
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI135i View Post
Has "limp home mode" been an issue under any circumstances? (i.e. more time on the track, hotter days, etc.)
It may not be that much of a surprise to people in the know, but all I heard about for weeks/months prior to this event from people that heard about the project was about the possibility of the car going into limp home mode like it was some kind of foregone conclusion.

In addition to adding OEM oil coolers, I would imagine BMW made some software changes as well to help the cars be less sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #93
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

The car is back at Impact Engineering getting some final touches done before we take her back for good.

Sunroof is working again (in disconnecting the window switch on the passenger door, it must have opened a circuit)

Since we'll be close on weight when we change the passenger seat, I thought we may as well put the back seat back in

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #94
onepilot
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
Hi all - more progress at Impact Engineering:

Dude,

Those pictures right there scare me!!! A main hoop mounted on angled plinths creating a lever. That does NOT look good to me at all.

Have your fabricator box those in so the plinths are full boxes - problem solved.

Beautiful build otherwise!!!! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #95
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Yikes.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #96
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepilot View Post
Dude,
Those pictures right there scare me!!! A main hoop mounted on angled plinths creating a lever. That does NOT look good to me at all.
That's some of the stuff that got worked.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #97
evosport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL Cab

Scott,

I just looked at the link from your M3 update and saw this.

I am really terrified at seeing that. As a friend, I am horrified that Ralph or Rolando could be seriously injured in that cage. As a race car builder, fabricator, shop owner and national CR sponsor (evosport) I am concerned that (1) it is not legal and (2) that if someone is killed it will hurt the series and all of our reputations.

It IS that serious.

Not only are those plinths not legal IMHO, they are deadly. You have created a lever and they are welded on a shear plane. In a roll over (which we had last weekend), that cage would tear away from the vertical welds and with that design, the cage would act as a knife to cut through the sheet metal floor, and would NOT hold. The roof WOULD collapse on the driver.

I am also concerned about the distances between the a-pillars and front cross bar to the roof. The main reason to use a platform or plinth is to weld 360 deg and then raise the cage VERY tight against he unibody (allowing no clearance). Then you weld in the plinth. This is not a legality issue, just one of safety.

I would be surprised if that car is allowed to race in CCA again without modification to fit in the cage rules and I would implore you not to let anyone drive it until some of these things are rectified. What happened to Claudio was minor, if it had been Ralph or Rolando (both good friends of mine) in this car/cage combo, we could have had serious injuries.

Past that, the car looked great on track and I am so excited to see you guys tackle this project. I just want to make sure that you start off going the right direction.

Thanks
Brad
      06-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #98
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

^ The voice of experience. And welcome to 1Addicts Brad, we hope you will be a regular contributor.
      06-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #99
evosport
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Mikeo!

Well not to detract, but I am in the decision process of building a 135 racer as well for SCCA and BMW CCA.

I lurk here often and hope to contribute some more.

If we do start building 135 parts or a car, then we will surely speak with you about site sponsorship as well!

thanks
brad
      06-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #100
onepilot
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
That's some of the stuff that got worked.
How did they "get worked"?? Were they boxed as I suggested? More pics would be awesome. I had hoped those were "in process" build pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #101
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
How did they "get worked"?? Were they boxed as I suggested? More pics would be awesome. I had hoped those were "in process" build pics.
Still in work - we'll run any proposed changes by BMW CCA chief stewart to make sure they are okay with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #102
onepilot
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Cool. Is BMWCCA as strict on cage rules as SCCA is? SCCA has a detailed inspection procedure where they even drill a couple of small inspection holes to determine tubing size.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #103
evosport
Enlisted Member
Rep

NO, BMW CCA is a very strict and safety oriented group. I only reply as I do not want anyone here to think incorrectly that the BMW club is not safety conscience.

Knowing Scott and Ralph Warren, I am sure they will rectify this issue with no delay.

Thanks
brad
      07-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #104
arllc312mjf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Congrats and glad to see the project is under way!!

Going to love following this thread for a long while to come.
Man, I love those wheels. I can't really see them well in that pic but what are they? What size? They look like their set back a bit, I don't know cars like most but is it the offset that gives that 'set in' look like on you car? They just look awesome, can you post some pics, or just give me some information on them... Thanks.

Marty
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #105
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Working with the Chief Steward of BMW Club Racing and what they wanted to see, Impact Engineering boxed in the plinth boxes with some nice, thick material, so we'll be good to go.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #106
onepilot
Registered
Rep
Drives:

That looks good, but is that the B-Pillar plinth?

What does the A-Pillar one look like now?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #107
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
That looks good, but is that the B-Pillar plinth?

What does the A-Pillar one look like now?

Thanks!
A few more pics in the gallery:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/sho...y.php/cat/3257

BMW CR certified the cage and we're good to go :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #108
Slay0r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 E92 ///M,13 535i

sweet

subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #109
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Race Report: BMW Club Race @ Buttonwillow, July 19/20

We spent the weekend enduring (cars, drivers and crew) the hot (near 100 deg. F) and dry, dusty conditions at the very technically challenging Buttonwillow #1 Clockwise configuration (includes the Bus Stop, Lost Hill and Star Mazda). The conditions and the track took their toll on man and machine throughout the weekend (and our team was no exception), but the goal on such a weekend is to just survive it and try to stay as comfortable as possible. Our M3 had an expensive off-track excursion, then overheating SMG and even the 135i was falling victim to the dreaded limp mode under that heat. Even the legs of the EZ-Up were sinking into the asphalt.

But the car is starting to come along. For this event we were able to get about -2 deg. of camber on all four corners and we got those BBS 17x8.5 et 38 CHs (and BBS wheel studs) on all 4 corners with the 255/40x17 Nitto NT01s. Just those changes made a huge difference from how the car handled at the last event at Willow Springs. By the Sunday afternoon race, Ralph was able to establish an H-Stock class record of 2:11.000 (for reference, the D-Mod winner on slicks did 2:00.xxx). Tire wear was much better and a lot more even and hot tire pressures were within .2 psi. The car still understeers, but it's getting better.

Ralph had to alter his driving to keep the car from going into limp mode The interesting thing is, by making some adjustments, he was actually able to reduce how many times it would occur. He even managed to finish ahead of cars that we were finishing behind at Willow Springs. So through it all, the car was a lot more fun to drive and finished all 6 sessions and got through the weekend without damage.

I'll have some more pics coming soon. For higher res versions of all on track photos, see this photo album:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/sho...y.php/cat/3143

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #110
imported_ralphwarren
Rep
Drives:

The 135i is really coming along. We've nick-named it "Stubby" but this weekend it looked meaner than a car with that name. The square wheel/tire setup and the brake dust from the proper race pads gave the car a real race car look. It also got covered in tire marks as I was often following cars closely - the heat of the track shredded tires making them booger easy flinging up at me.

Note-worthy things…

Seat Time - I was in the 135i every session and although I missed driving the M3 this weekend, it was fun to play in the middle of the pack and have to work for every pass and work harder to hold people off. Knowing all the racers well I was able to stay out of the way of in-class battles. The San Diego Chapter did a fantastic job organizing the event and the racers were very thankful to the chapter to include us. I hope it becomes a trend with other chapters.

:headbang: Car Prep - Impact Engineering did a fantastic job addressing remaining items and new things we wanted done after the Willow Springs weekend. The seat slider is awesome, everything works (sunroof, windows, AC, radio, horn, etc.). They put in the brake pads I got from Turner Motorsports and even mounted tires for us and delivered the car to the track without drama. Scott did his usual incredible job preparing as well.

Braking - Far improved over stock… like night and day. Proper Hawk HT-10 pads custom made by Turner Motorsports and the bigger front tires really slowed the car well. Buttonwillow is an extremely hard track on brakes and even though we did not have our brake dusts in yet, the car braked straight and firm every time lap after lap with no fade at all. Nice to not have to worry about brakes… especially at a track like Buttonwillow (one of the hardest tracks on brakes anywhere).

:w00t: Cornering - way better. Bigger tires, more front negative camber and setting the shocks to their almost stiffest setup all really helped. I have a lot of track time at Buttonwillow in heavy street cars so I was able to use the weight of the car almost to an advantage - although I'd love to drop 500lbs - don't get me wrong. The Nitto NT-01 tires held up better than I even thought they would. They went away very little, wore even, stayed consistent, didn't chunk, blister or anything. They were brand new and not shaved and I beat the snot out of them - they kept coming back for more. Scott and I are willing to share tire data with anyone running Nitto tires - try them, they really are fantastic.

Limp Mode - If that's what it is called then fine. I call it a dynamic rev-limiter. It seemed to me that the rev-limiter would simply drop to between 4000 and 5000 depending on conditions. What amazed me was how quickly the car came back and was drivable at speed again. It took me 2 sessions to figure it out and manage the car to keep it from happening and still keep my lap times decent. I used a few enduro racing tricks which basically boil down to short shifting and lifting early - where necessary. Where there was little to gain by staying on the gas… I was off the gas. Where it was important to blast out of a corner at full-throttle… then that's what I did. The hard part about driving like that is keeping the late threshold braking, cornering speed and exit speed maximized. It's easy to let those things slide when you are trying to save gas, cool the car or run in enduro mode. I also ran every session with the heater on full blast which I'm sure helped.

Track Conditions - The track conditions changed every time we were out there. It was hard to get the pressures right because one session the track would be slick and the next it would be worse. It wasn't as easy as checking the track temp first either. Lap times varied by seconds from session to session for most racers.

Misc Items - We learned that the front sway bar links are pieces of crap made of aluminum and made in Japan. We broke one and replaced both with real E36 (or maybe E30 ones).

135i Utility - We had to get the car home and I had a couple customers to visit in the area on Monday so I stayed over in Bakersfield, visited my customers and drove the 135i home on the street with the AC on, radio, everything. I just had to have In-and-Out for lunch so the 135i just had to go through the drive though. I even stopped at the grocery store and picked up a few things for the family Monday evening before returning the car to Scott. The car got more looks than a fly-yellow Ferrari, that's for sure.

----

Overall it was a real fun weekend. Hot as hell and no one brought any margarita stuff, but other than that it was a blast!

Again, I can't say enough about Scott's level of preparation and planning. His preparation, the trailer, his tools, the spares and plan-ahead thinking really make the weekend run smooth. Every session, both cars were pretty, ready to go, gassed up, pressures set, etc. He even fixed a torn off bumper on the other car in a matter of hours. The spare bumper even had the custom sticker job on it already! His buddy Craig was a big - I mean HUGE help. He was bummed about the heat I could tell, but he was on things quick and really was a huge help to Scott and I all weekend.

I'm already looking forward to the next race. I'd actually like to autocross this thing some day.

Cheers.
-Ralph Warren