BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

My first BMW autocross impressions

Overall, not a bad day. Great weather and a course set up on the driver development track at Mosoport. Despite some truly evil ‘traffic calming’ elements, the course held a lot of the character of the actual track. Veterans were pleasantly surprised that we ran counter to the usual clockwise direction.

I pulled off a class win on the stock Bridgestone run-flats. That’s not too much of a surprise since I was the only car in my class. On the up-side, though, I paxed 18th out of 86, which was a real treat given the street tires and (unbelievably) FTD was set by an ES Miata, discounting the SAE car’s times. The C-Mod Miata guys are still trying to figure that one out. And the WRX/STi clan was thoroughly non-plussed.

Since I was the only one in my class, and working timing, and the course walk was a good 15-20 minutes, I didn’t even bother with tire pressures. I started with cold street pressures and never took the time to check or change them all day. Fighting ‘sea of cones’ vision was my main concern for the day.

The 135 is no Miata when it comes to the tight elements, but the braking is phenomenal. I also had ride-alongs from some F-body guys and they were astonished by the mid-range power. I thought I needed a 1.5 gear, though.

Understeer was there, but it wasn’t even close to the horror stories I’d heard about on 1addicts. Judicious use of trail braking made things enjoyable in all but the bus stops. I’m guessing once we get off a race track and back onto parking lot courses that’ll change, though. My biggest complaint was the sloooow steering. What would’ve been a mere twitch of the wrists in the Miata seemed like coxing a dragon boat in the 135, and not just on the tight bits, either.

Now that I have a better idea of how the car works out of the box, a good alignment is up next. I’m committing to street tires for the season, but I hope to grind the Bridgestones to dust before the next regional. Fingers crossed, I’ll have something stickier for the next event and be able to keep up when everyone else has the rust off.

Appreciate 0