BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
urbanstorm
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Cobb Accessport for BONE stock 1M

I recently stepped into Cobb Tuning in Plano Texas in the last couple of weeks and spoke briefly to Aaron about the Accessport for the 1M. I had not done any homework at that point and was asking random questions that came to mind.

(Secretly I hoped that he would say, "why, we have a 1M in the back right now if you'd like to see it!", however, he did not)

Anyway, my plans are to keep the car as it came from the factory with the exception of a few cosmetic details. However, I like to do all of my own work, and cringe having to take it to the dealership for warranty work. I want to be fairly self sufficient when the warranty is up. I, like several other people, have had the half power light one day and they had ordered knock sensors after checking the codes. MY fear is that no standard OBD tool will be able to figure out the complexities of the 1M.

That's why I wanted to see the Accessport. I understand that this tool can read all the codes that the 1M can throw.

So, does anyone here run the Accessport with the canned tune on 91 sport (highest grade gasoline I can get) with a completely stock car? I understand that it is not possible to install the cobb without running one of the tunes.

Let me know your findings
Robert
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

No reason to get a Cobb (a terrific product) if you just don't want a tune and only want to read codes.

I think a P3 vent gauge would better fit your needs.

EDIT: Link to gauge - http://www.p3cars.com/e8x-1m

Neil

Last edited by MDORPHN; 03-05-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Hello fellow Atlantic Canadian 1M owner.

For a very good code reader...why not look at something like http://www.bavariantechnic.com.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
tglazed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I ran the stage 1 tune on my n54 135i until I did modifications. Its definitely an increase in power and being able to check codes is just a benefit of it. From a 135i standpoint, I could see it being worth it but as a 1 series M driver, I don't think I could justify the cost unless I was planning on doing intakes, downpipes, or a new intercooler. It bumps the 135i to the power of your 1 series M. But Cobb's website is only showing a 4% increase in horsepower and a 15% increase in torque for the stage one flash on a 1 series M. http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-N54-Ac...power-gains-1m

If you are just looking for a code reader, the two options above would both work great.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I've run a Cobb AP on my WRX for roughly 5 years now, and I may get one for my 1M one it has left the warrantee period. In my opinion is the off the shelf tunes with the AP are very conservative. To the point where I would only purchase an Accessport if it was part of a custom tune package purchase.

That said I use the AP on my WRX frequently to check and clear codes. It is great for that, but honestly way overkill unless you also want a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanstorm View Post
I recently stepped into Cobb Tuning in Plano Texas in the last couple of weeks and spoke briefly to Aaron about the Accessport for the 1M. I had not done any homework at that point and was asking random questions that came to mind.

(Secretly I hoped that he would say, "why, we have a 1M in the back right now if you'd like to see it!", however, he did not)

Anyway, my plans are to keep the car as it came from the factory with the exception of a few cosmetic details. However, I like to do all of my own work, and cringe having to take it to the dealership for warranty work. I want to be fairly self sufficient when the warranty is up. I, like several other people, have had the half power light one day and they had ordered knock sensors after checking the codes. MY fear is that no standard OBD tool will be able to figure out the complexities of the 1M.

That's why I wanted to see the Accessport. I understand that this tool can read all the codes that the 1M can throw.

So, does anyone here run the Accessport with the canned tune on 91 sport (highest grade gasoline I can get) with a completely stock car? I understand that it is not possible to install the cobb without running one of the tunes.

Let me know your findings
Robert

were you just visiting DFW or do you live here now?
Appreciate 0