BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #23
qstix
Rep
Drives:

You need to be carefull when using supermarket fuel.. It is generaly filled with ethonal to give you the extra power, rather than additives like Shell and the other top boys use..

Shell V power works wonders on Turbo charged cars, not so good on Normally Aspirated engines..

Re-maps tend to benefit nicely from using higher octane fuel..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #24
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
My reasons to use Shell is that is what my dealer uses to fill up all new cars, Shell claims to use 3 times the detergents compared to other top tier gasolines and Shell is the official fuel for Ferrari and their F1 team. That right there is enough to convice me. Not knocking on Chevron as Texaco is the official fuel of many automotive magazines and is what is used when they evaluate cars and if you didn't know, Texaco is a divison of Chevron. But for me, I'm down with the Shell.
      11-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #25
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Hi all,

Remember that the ECU will not recognise above SUL98 so the difference between using VPower 99 or Tesco SUL99 and a regular SUL98 should be zero.

The car's ECU is only programmed to use either 95 or 98 SUL - you would need a bespoke remap to utilise 99+ SUL's.

I usually use Sainsbury's SUL (supplied by BP) and find it's really good.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #26
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I do add that Shell VPower is excellent stuff due to the additives etc, but unfortunately no local Shell garage to me

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #27
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

In Ontario Canada Shell V Power seems to work the best comparing it to Sunoco Premium. I do not know why. The problem with comparing from one country to another it is very possible each "brand" is not the same. Only for sure would each manufacturer have to pony up to what they put in from one country to another.

In a completely other type of products (electronics), I have even seen where even batches of items can vary (1 model uses type a capacitor, and the very next batch uses type b capacitor, and type a is a lot better than b, we even see this in our cars. The only way to know is check). And we all know that Coke is not the same as what we had as children. Classic! Anything can change at any time... isn't that what we read in the fine print anyway, that they do not guarantee anything about anything and that it is what it is?
I guess we are back to square one. Everyone should do their own test and just say what country and what works for them. As we are doing here; thanks ppl! And most importantly what does not work for us, please tell us that!

My 1 cent comment is in a gas-shell;
In Ontario Canada I find Sunoco does not work as well as Shell V Power.

I do not know why, it is cheaper and I just want what works. I have no problem trying others, and even go back and do a more proper test. I am going strictly on "feel" I only know what seemed to run smoother and give more power.

It can even be the gas station; mind you I did use Sunoco from a few in the area so that is doubtful but still possible.

EspressoBoy

PS
No I do not own Shell stock, or have a hate on Sunoco. I used them for the first 4 months of owning the car. I must admit the Advertising worked! Why it took me 4 months to try another is amazing! And that is why I am making the fuss and writing! Sometimes we are so sure by numbers and brand we forget to test the water ourselves! The Sunoco 94 worked on me! I never thought that 91 Shell would get better results.
      11-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #28
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

I used some Shell V-Power on the way back from my bro's place just outside Bristol today.

My car's been run exclusively on Tesco 99 for the first 2k+ miles so far, and this was the first change. I didn't notice any better throttle response than the Tesco 99, and it seemed to take an absolute age for the ECU to adapt to the different fuel. Fuel economy suffered a fair bit, probably returning about 2 mpg lower over the 160 miles or so.

I don't have any local Shell garages anyway, so I can't really do a long term comparison. But with the Tesco 99 coming in 5p per litre cheaper (normal 95 RON unleaded was 89.9p at both the Shell garage and Tesco) than the 99.9p per litre V-Power, I'll stick to that for the moment.

Just as an aside, the traffic on the M25 and M4 combined with the fog on the M4 kept me to around 65mph average on the way down roughly. For a bit of a test, after resetting my economy as soon as I got onto the M25 and got to a reasonable speed (I was getting 7mpg in the ridiculous 3 mile/45 min trip from my place to the M25!), I whacked on the cruise control and basically let it go for about 100 miles with just small adjustments here and there. The result? 35mpg on the computer! With the error on mine so far, that looks like a real economy of just under 34mpg.

Of course, in most situations it's pretty difficult to either keep your foot away from the throttle when the roads are quiet, or keep to a constant speed when the roads are packed.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #29
manufc4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

I did the same as above going from tesco to shell. The car felt more responsive with v power in. Just another opinion.
Appreciate 0