BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
cptgonzo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i sport pkg.

Interesting Problem Today

Last night got a ton of snow in Chicago. I wasn't worried at all about my 11' 135i handling the snow this morning. I pulled in to work to get some paperwork so I could work at home. I parked the car (manual), went in, grabbed paperwork then came out to a non starting car.

I would put the key in ignition and it would be recognized, but when I would push the start button, the dash lights/radio would go black and the key fob was being ejected by itself! First I thought it was the battery, but the headlights were strong and the radio would work if i didn't try to start. Eventually after searching forums and doing some diag, I figured that it could be a problem with the brake switch or even the clutch switch. I remembered that I had moved my Wifi obdII plug around due to coding a friends car. I pulled off the lower panel from the drivers side to find the obdII wifi plug was restricting the clutch switch, even though The clutch was still fully engaging. Moved all the junk around and the car started right up.

Just wanted to share this experience with the forum, The only lights I was getting was occasionally it would display the "push foot on brake" symbol, or the key symbol, and one time a exclamation mark with a triangle around it. So needless to say I will be securing the devices under the dash ASAP.
Appreciate 0