BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
Jasper.AU
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E88 125i

BMW E88 after market radio options

Hi all,

I'm new to this so bear with me... I've been looking far and wide for a suitable replacement for my OEM CIC professional radio on my 2009 E88

I'm looking for something like this:

http://xtrons.com/pf7581bap-7-androi...1-e82-e88.html

But all the android units I can find are for the 295mm top rather than the 270mm top which is what I have in my car (see attached image)...

Is there anything out there that would fit?

Could I use one of the models for the E90s, which seems to be the right physical size I need, and adapt it?

http://xtrons.com/pb7690bap-7-hd-dig...-3-series.html

I guess I could always go with something like the following, but you can tell from a mile away that it's been adapted, while the others look more like an OEM solution:

https://www.seicane.com/new-arrival-...e-kit-s37bm013

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

I'm interested in knowing options as well. I'm in the same boat in regard to the factory setup. I did talk to security installer and he provided me with info on a double din carrier for this car, but it would mean relocating the vert top and heated seat buttons to another location...
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
I'm interested in knowing options as well. I'm in the same boat in regard to the factory setup. I did talk to security installer and he provided me with info on a double din carrier for this car, but it would mean relocating the vert top and heated seat buttons to another location...
+ 1

Would like to upgrade as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Sfdombro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

I went ahead and bought the one you showed from xtrons on amazon. The model number I got is PB7681BAP. At first when I opened it up I thought there was no way it would work since it's so much wider than the oem radio. As it turns out this model is meant to go over the top of the dash rather than sit recessed. Im not 100% happy with the fit- there's about an eighth to sixteenth inch gap around it but overall it seems pretty nice. You can tell they really put some work into how the finished product looks.

I'm not sure if the ones for an e90 would work or not. Xtrons was the only seller I could find with one listed specifically for an e82 so I went with that.

I just got done installing it so let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 1
Fakemike368.50
      11-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfdombro View Post
I went ahead and bought the one you showed from xtrons on amazon. The model number I got is PB7681BAP. At first when I opened it up I thought there was no way it would work since it's so much wider than the oem radio. As it turns out this model is meant to go over the top of the dash rather than sit recessed. Im not 100% happy with the fit- there's about an eighth to sixteenth inch gap around it but overall it seems pretty nice. You can tell they really put some work into how the finished product looks.

I'm not sure if the ones for an e90 would work or not. Xtrons was the only seller I could find with one listed specifically for an e82 so I went with that.

I just got done installing it so let me know if you have any questions.
Pics? I've been interested in getting one, let us know what you think of it after using it for a bit? How is the GPS on it?

Was the install easy? All plug-and-play? Or did you have to splice wires?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
olds350
United_States
Rep

I had installed a dynavin unit in my recently sold e39 wagon. It had great support over on that forum. Decided to go see if they had any options for the e8x cars and to my surprise they do. Check this out...

https://www.jandtdistributing.com/co...nt=44130206221

Looks to be a nice unit and I'm certainly considering purchasing. Price as shown is $699. I was very pleased with unit I installed in the e39, so no hesitation buying this one...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
Sfdombro
Registered
Rep

I thought the install was easy. They provide you with all the connections and harnesses you need for plug and play setup. if you've ever done any car stereo work this should be no problem. I haven't really had time to test everything out yet but the radio reception seems to be better than I had previously and the gps works well.

I also considered the Dynavin and almost pulled the trigger on that one but I figured for half the price I'd give the android unit a try. I paid about $340.

https://m.imgur.com/YiXSvrL
https://m.imgur.com/RqO30ti
https://m.imgur.com/8MwTrD1
https://m.imgur.com/fphuTzQ

Last edited by Sfdombro; 11-06-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
iminhell13914.50
      11-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
olds350
United_States
Rep

I think that looks good even with the "fit on top" look. Please keep us in the loop in regard to hiccups you run across in regard to function of this unit....

So I gotta ask, where did the seat heater and the convertible top buttons go?

Last edited by olds350; 11-06-2017 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
Sfdombro
Registered
Rep

The buttons are currently on the floor in the back seat lol. I had to remove them to get the whole setup to fit. The unit does offer software buttons to control the heated seats but it requires you to navigate through a couple screens to get to them. Technically it works but it's a little clumsy. It's one place where i thought the dynavin had a real advantage since it allows you to leave the hard buttons in place.

I'm thinking about seeing if this would work
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...73B-Black.html
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
AutoAlex
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Did this ever work? This is something I really want to do to my E88 because I would need to relocate the convert top buttons but as of now, I cannot find a viable solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfdombro View Post
The buttons are currently on the floor in the back seat lol. I had to remove them to get the whole setup to fit. The unit does offer software buttons to control the heated seats but it requires you to navigate through a couple screens to get to them. Technically it works but it's a little clumsy. It's one place where i thought the dynavin had a real advantage since it allows you to leave the hard buttons in place.

I'm thinking about seeing if this would work
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...73B-Black.html
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoAlex View Post
Did this ever work? This is something I really want to do to my E88 because I would need to relocate the convert top buttons but as of now, I cannot find a viable solution...
I was thinking of going with the 'cubby' to replace my smokers kit ashtray thing. Then mounting the heated seat and convertible top buttons inside that tray. We'll see
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
I was thinking of going with the 'cubby' to replace my smokers kit ashtray thing. Then mounting the heated seat and convertible top buttons inside that tray. We'll see
That's where the early Z4's had their top and seat controls, FWIW...
low1352209.00
      11-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #13
Mark James
Rep
Drives: E88

Quote:
I just did the xtrons install in my e88. Came out very nicely.the only issue of fit is the wood molding above the radio is not quite low enough but you can hardly notice. Since I have the heated seats and cabrio, I removed the ash tray and installed the tray listed above. I used a dremel tool and cut out the back of the tray, mounted the switches behind it (drilled holes on both sides and installed the original lighter orange led's) and it looks oem. The only issue is the wiring harness is just long enough so it takes a little skill to slide it in. Plug and play but there is an extra yellow wire I attached into the fuse box (mini fuse tap attached to door locks fuse). The most important thing is to connect the amp wires in the back of the radio wiring harness or else will not have any sound. New rear view camera works great too. I first needed a relay (when attaching wire to backup light) but I then replace the backup lights with led's which draw less power and that eliminated the need for a relay.

Wiring for the gps and backup camera easily slipped under the molding during install. Backup camera wire was then routed under the back seat (bottom of back seat removed) and snaked to the trunk in the middle. Wires were then attached to the backup light and snaked through the rubber molding from the trunk to the trunk lid. I first purchased the backup camera that was integrated into the trunk latch but the video quality sucked. I then installed a better camera and put the wiring through the right license plate light.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #14
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Quote:
I just did the xtrons install in my e88. Came out very nicely.the only issue of fit is the wood molding above the radio is not quite low enough but you can hardly notice. Since I have the heated seats and cabrio, I removed the ash tray and installed the tray listed above. I used a dremel tool and cut out the back of the tray, mounted the switches behind it (drilled holes on both sides and installed the original lighter orange led's) and it looks oem. The only issue is the wiring harness is just long enough so it takes a little skill to slide it in. Plug and play but there is an extra yellow wire I attached into the fuse box (mini fuse tap attached to door locks fuse). The most important thing is to connect the amp wires in the back of the radio wiring harness or else will not have any sound. New rear view camera works great too. I first needed a relay (when attaching wire to backup light) but I then replace the backup lights with led's which draw less power and that eliminated the need for a relay.

Wiring for the gps and backup camera easily slipped under the molding during install. Backup camera wire was then routed under the back seat (bottom of back seat removed) and snaked to the trunk in the middle. Wires were then attached to the backup light and snaked through the rubber molding from the trunk to the trunk lid. I first purchased the backup camera that was integrated into the trunk latch but the video quality sucked. I then installed a better camera and put the wiring through the right license plate light.
Any photos of your mounting of the seat and top buttons?
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
Mark James
Rep
Drives: E88

I will 3d print a trim plate when i get around to it
Appreciate 1
low1352209.00
      11-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #16
NewDirection
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'd be happy to buy one of these if price was more reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #17
low135
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post

I will 3d print a trim plate when i get around to it
This looks great. I'll have to order one of those storage cubbys
Appreciate 0