BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2020, 03:35 AM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Clutch stop install issues

Went to install by BMS clutch stop earlier. Should've been straight forward, but the thing bent as I was pushing it in. Figured I was SOL with that piece, so I went to pull it back out and the damn thing snapped at the bend, leaving the portion that was already in the hole lodged up in there.

Anyone have any advice on how to get the piece thats still stuck out? I'm sure it would be easy to tap/drill it out, but I'd rather not end up living with the thing rattling around up there.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Went to install by BMS clutch stop earlier. Should've been straight forward, but the thing bent as I was pushing it in. Figured I was SOL with that piece, so I went to pull it back out and the damn thing snapped at the bend, leaving the portion that was already in the hole lodged up in there.

Anyone have any advice on how to get the piece thats still stuck out? I'm sure it would be easy to tap/drill it out, but I'd rather not end up living with the thing rattling around up there.
How about putting a small screw into it, then pulling the screw with pliers.
      12-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
Eagle135
Rep
Drives: 135i

I like the idea of using a screw to tap it and then pull it out. I would probably try to use a thin screw driver and see if I can tap it out with a hammer. I installed one this weekend and the plastic seemed incredibly stiff. It was a frustrating install for what everyone said was very easy and straight forward. The amount of pressure I had to put on that little thing was insane, on top of wiggling it. Good luck and know you are not alone with this being a frustrating install. Maybe the plastic splines on this batch are tougher/ stronger than they should be? It sure felt that way.
Appreciate 0