BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #133
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndlesswaltz View Post
Is TPMS different from tire pressure sensor?

I've just bought my tire from tire rack and they automatically added it to my tire set.

Hope they knew what they were doing.

let me know
Canadian cars have FTM that uses the ABS wheel speed sensors, no in-tyre sensors needed. The sensors you have in the tyres will not do anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #134
mattYKZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Is TPMS different from tire pressure sensor?

I've just bought my tire from tire rack and they automatically added it to my tire set.

Hope they knew what they were doing.

let me know
Tire rack adds it automatically I think because they use it in the States, on the order screen you need to choose to mount and balance without sensors and you will save the $200 US.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #135
ndlesswaltz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Canadian cars have FTM that uses the ABS wheel speed sensors, no in-tyre sensors needed. The sensors you have in the tyres will not do anything.
I just opened the packing and found nothing like sensor on the wheel, just few balancing weight.

Should sensor be installed inside the tire?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #136
mangotangoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have a CDN '09 135i and TPMS sensors...
      10-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #137
Bayerische_rakete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

Maybe we could change the title of this thread?

'cos it sure ain't summer anymore
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #138
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
I just opened the packing and found nothing like sensor on the wheel, just few balancing weight.

Should sensor be installed inside the tire?
The sensors are inside, attached to the valve stem. I'm not sure about aftermarket sensors, but the BMW ones used on US cars have aluminium valve stems, as opposed to rubber ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #139
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangotangoe View Post
I have a CDN '09 135i and TPMS sensors...
Are you sure? If so, your 135i was not built to Canadian spec. Canadian cars have FTM for tyre pressure monitoring, which doesn't use any sensors. If you have valve stems with a rubber body, you have FTM, not TPM. TPM has aluminium valve stems.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #140
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Put my Micheline Xi2 205/50/17 winters on yesterday. Did a little city and highway driving today and they aren't bad. Very quiet, slightly spongy but otherwise a comfortable and not so noisy ride. It's getting cold now and since I do alot of driving in the early mornings and late evenings the temperature is hovering just above 0 celsius. Tomorrow's morning commute is calling for light flurries and -1 C. Its best to have them on early rather than be too late and get caught in that first big snowstorm.

Performance wise, well let's just say they don't hold the corners quite as well as the 18" Potenza's if you're traveling too fast but that's obvious right? Hope getting 17's instead of 16's doesn't bite me when the snow and ice come...

Oh, BTW, had absolutely zero problems in regards to any tire pressure monitoring system. No warnings, no chimes, nadda. I think the Canadian cars should be fine without the wheel sensors as explained in some of the earlier posts...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #141
mattYKZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sounds good, I haven't put mine on yet - it looks like next week will be warmer and I just don't want to admit that cold weather is here

Out of interest do you use the same tire pressure for this setup as the stock BMW one, i.e. should we use the pressures recommended by BMW even though the sizes and tire type etc are all different?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:14 PM   #142
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Wow my thread is quite long now. Anyway, just thought I would share a story. I already have my winters ready to go, so yesterday I went to put them on just at local tire shop when I was informed that I didn't have the special wheel lock remover (not sure what you call it). But basically just a little nut that will unlock your wheel nuts to take off. I never had it in my tool kit under back where battery and car computer all located, just the tow hooks and a screwdriver. So I phone the London dealer here about it and they gave me some run around on phone, then to go to them after I made a little stink. So I get the guy out that sold me the car and he checks all around inside and come to realization that it didn't come with car. So he gets the service manager to come out and inform him. I had my aftermarket tires/wheels in the trunk and back as I was going to put them on that day. The first thing out of the guys mouth was "you are not getting winter setup through us, and you are not using RFT's?". I said "well off course not, plenty of people are not running your setup, A)save money B)you can get better setup especially through tire rack". Him looking sort of stuptified at what I just said, his only reply was "I never heard of anyone doing this before". Uh huh, right....see I BOUGHT the car not lease, so I can do what ever the f I want buddy. So take your arogance and shove it. So basically after a bunch of run around and ruining my morning with failed attempt to put the winters on, I finally get my wheel nut unlock tool. I have talked to other people and they tell me that London dealer is arrogant and if you didn't buy car from them they treat you poorly. Apparently they treat you poorly too even if you buy a car from them. All I know is come time for the summer RFT's to go I will be definetly going back to tire rack and getting non RFT's. Off course I will be the first to show up at london dealer to show them what I did .
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #143
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Annoying. Maybe it was all a ploy from the beginning to get you to buy one of their dedicated RFT packages? They conveniently forgot to give you the key to take the bolts off...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #144
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Are you sure? If so, your 135i was not built to Canadian spec. Canadian cars have FTM for tyre pressure monitoring, which doesn't use any sensors. If you have valve stems with a rubber body, you have FTM, not TPM. TPM has aluminium valve stems.
You are correct.
Appreciate 0