BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Another Joying install

After reading Stubbie Blue’s excellent installation instructions, I decided to install the Latest 7 inch universal head unit.

I looked on YouTube and noticed an installation in an e90 with the e90 specific head unit and wiring harness and reached out to Joying to see if I could purchase the e90 plug and play harness separately. The video showed a plug and play Canbus solution and working steering wheel controls.

The owner also showed another video where he upgraded the head unit with a newer Joying and the harness still worked.

Since the professional e88 and e90 head units are the same and the harness worked for both old and new Joying units, I speculated the Canbus harness would work for the e88 too. The Joying rep Candy sold me the universal head unit for 20% off and charged me $44 for the Canbus plug and play harness. The harness also comes with the antenna adapter. I installed it and fired it up and everything worked right off the bat. It got cold so I haven’t messed around or hooked up the camera yet but figured I’d post and add when I start messing with it more.

I had to go to the link on joying‘s website that showed the E90 specific head unit and in one of the photos I was able to find the Canbus wiring harness. I sent that picture to the rep and they worked with me to get it to me for $44.

I will update this when I get some more time with it.

So basically for $44 you can delete the PAC adapter and antenna adapter and not have to program anything.
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here is the harness:

The decoder:

The extension that comes with the harness:

One last thing that SHOULD work is the rear camera should not require a backup/reverse wire because the harness pulls it from the factory wiring and gives it to the head unit. Still need to get power and ground at the rear of the car for the camera though. I'm using some generic cheap backup camera but they are all (including the Joying), pretty much the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Bravo007
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series e82 125i

thanks for sharing this information
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

One note. If I could do it over I would have gone with the 8 inch vs the 7 inch screen. The 7 inch looks good but the Joying units have adjustable position of the screens BUT the 7 inch hits the wood grain bump out piece above the radio if I mount so that the bottom of the screen just clears the temperature reading on the HVAC controls. Stubbie Blue did not appear to have that problem with his install. I will try to get pics later.

The other issue is that I get the SOS error so I will need to get that coded out. It goes away eventually but is annoying.

Also the backup camera is working with the Joying harness without adding a separate wire. It's included in the harness.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
thataverageguymike
Rep
Drives: 2009 E82 128i

I'm going to go with the 8.8" Joying, it's a little shorter and wider than even the 8". It looks like it fits perfectly between the AC Unit and the vents. I actually ordered it through Amazon just a few minutes ago.

Can you post some more pictures of your order of that harness or how to get into contact with Joying and order it? Maybe a part number? I just ordered the head unit and the PAC adapter and I'd like to cancel that and just go with the all-in-one CANBUS adapter for ease of installation.

Also, can you elaborate on the SOS error? Does it affect the functionality of the new head unit?

Edit (Update): I cancelled my order for the PAC adapter and reached out to Joying support through their website. After a little back-and-forth via email and submitting proof of purchase of a Joying unit (screenshot of my Amazon order) they agreed to send me the CANBUS harness from the E90 kit for $30. I have yet to receive it but am excited to see if it works as well as I hope! I have the head unit, trim, and backup camera and am just waiting for that to start installation.

Last edited by thataverageguymike; 01-08-2020 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry I just came back to the thread. You got a better deal than me! The SOS error is if you have the BMW assistant from the factory. It's the button up near the interior light/rearview. Looks like this:

The SOS error goes away and I've never even used it. Does not affect the head unit.

The other issue I had is somehow my temperature units went from F to C so now my outside temperature and HVAC controls are in C. I can not change them back because of the SOS error since it comes up on the little display in the gauge cluster and you need to use the stalk to switch units of measure and the SOS errors stays on the display for like 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

SOS error aka BMW assist is easy to code-out from the car, then you'll be back to normal.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
thataverageguymike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
SOS error aka BMW assist is easy to code-out from the car, then you'll be back to normal.
That's good, I'm all set up on ISTA-D and coding tools, I should be able to do that easily myself.

Here's a picture of the head unit screen for the 8.8", the fit is absolutely perfect. Should look even better when it's closer to the dash (the clips on the back of the screen make it stick out quite a bit when the head unit isn't installed). I have the head unit, dash trim, and backup camera, just waiting on the CANBUS harness to ship from China so I can get this thing installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kri1083.50
      01-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

The problem I had might be an issue for you. When the head unit is recessed and screen attached the top of my screen hits the carbon fiber look trim piece right above causing pressure on the ribbon cable connector. If I lower it one notch the ribbon attachment hits the top of the metal install cage. So I had to have it down 2 notches and it slightly covers the HVAC temp.

The circled part is the ribbon connector. Be careful if you attach the screen after recessing the HU fully into the dash because you might run into the same issue.

I don't have a pic of where it currently sits now but will try and get one when I'm with my car.

This can probably be solved by making a small spacer and using longer screws for the mounts on the back of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
thataverageguymike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
This can probably be solved by making a small spacer and using longer screws for the mounts on the back of the screen.
Not sure about yours but my head unit actually came with spacers for that very reason! USPS says my CANBUS adapter should be here on Tuesday; I'm out of town for work all week but will probably try to install at least the head unit next weekend. I'll definitely post some pictures of the process once that is up and running. Depending on time I may leave the GPS antenna, mic, and reverse camera for another day.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #11
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataverageguymike View Post
Not sure about yours but my head unit actually came with spacers for that very reason! USPS says my CANBUS adapter should be here on Tuesday; I'm out of town for work all week but will probably try to install at least the head unit next weekend. I'll definitely post some pictures of the process once that is up and running. Depending on time I may leave the GPS antenna, mic, and reverse camera for another day.

Unfortunately I did not get spacers. Can you put up a pic when you get a chance?

One thing of note which might matter to absolutely nobody except me. The radio (with antenna adapter and antenna attached) gets not very good reception though I don't use it much. I like z-link for running SiriusXM and texting from my iPhone. I've run Waze through it but can run that natively on the unit anyway.

Last edited by fmowry; 01-23-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #12
WkndDrvr
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
That's good, I'm all set up on ISTA-D and coding tools, I should be able to do that easily myself.

Here's a picture of the head unit screen for the 8.8", the fit is absolutely perfect. Should look even better when it's closer to the dash (the clips on the back of the screen make it stick out quite a bit when the head unit isn't installed). I have the head unit, dash trim, and backup camera, just waiting on the CANBUS harness to ship from China so I can get this thing installed.
Is there a link to this? I'm a newb with car audio but want to give the install a shot.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #13
lucky.bmw
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d

Does this retain the factory Bluetooth / gongs and pdc ?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #14
thataverageguymike
Rep

Got my head unit installed yesterday - as was mentioned before the E90 CANBUS harness allows a direct plug-and-play. I'll do the backup camera later and currently the GPS antenna, new mic, and USB cable are just routed through to behind the glovebox. However, I can confirm they all work as intended.

So my unit actually did *not* come with extensions for the screen attachment points even though they were referenced in the documentation, but when I position the screen correctly (the highest position so it doesn't block the HVAC controls) it doesn't mess with the ribbon cable or the dash trim. It's a pretty perfect fit and the wider screen on this unit prevents you from seeing anything behind it.

I'm really, really happy with it. Other than being a fingerprint magnet it works really well. It sounds incredible - I like the flexibility it offers with the equalizer and all of its options. Currently my steering wheel controls don't work so I'll have to troubleshoot that and code out the SOS error but everything else is incredible. I don't have PDC so can't comment on that and the CANBUS harness here gets rid of the factory gong and replaces it with an annoying beep that plays through the speakers I've heard that's the case with every aftermarket Android unit unless you get the other harness and wire it yourself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #15
WkndDrvr
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

That looks perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #16
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

looks tops!

send a link to that size unit from there website. cant seem to find it. thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #17
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Looks like this one on Amazon.

Strange that the steering wheel controls don't work right off the bat as mine did.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #18
thataverageguymike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
Looks like this one on Amazon.

Strange that the steering wheel controls don't work right off the bat as mine did.
Yep, that's the one. Did you have to set the vehicle CANBUS type anywhere in the settings? There's a configuration menu where you can set that... not really sure which one to select for this harness. Before I was able to set that an errant keypress wiped out the default steering wheel mappings and now I can't seem to get them back. Whoops.

I'm routing the mic and GPS antenna right now, I was able to figure out how to loosen the headliner, remove the unit that houses the sunroof controls and cabin lights, and remove the A pillar to run the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #19
mdk135i
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I see your GPS antenna up on the dash. FYI - I shoved mine in behind the HVAC controls and there are no issues locking onto satellites. I'm usually locked on within 2 minutes. I think mounting in the A-pillar is overkill. Just a note.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #20
thataverageguymike
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk135i View Post
I see your GPS antenna up on the dash. FYI - I shoved mine in behind the HVAC controls and there are no issues locking onto satellites. I'm usually locked on within 2 minutes. I think mounting in the A-pillar is overkill. Just a note.
LOL good timing! I just buttoned everything back up. It's on the passenger side of the rearview mirror attached to the glass now, and the mic is actually in the sunroof control/dome light unit.

There are two microphone grills up there, the one closest to the driver houses the factory BMW Bluetooth microphone and interestingly enough the other one has a plastic blank behind it. I popped out the blank and put the other mic in there and then ran both the mic and GPS wires inside the headliner, down the A pillar zip tied to the other wires, behind the glovebox, and into the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #21
fmowry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. Did you have to set the vehicle CANBUS type anywhere in the settings? There's a configuration menu where you can set that... not really sure which one to select for this harness. Before I was able to set that an errant keypress wiped out the default steering wheel mappings and now I can't seem to get them back. Whoops.

I'm routing the mic and GPS antenna right now, I was able to figure out how to loosen the headliner, remove the unit that houses the sunroof controls and cabin lights, and remove the A pillar to run the wiring.
I didn't have to do anything special to get the steering wheel controls to work. If you get to that setting config area and see what you currently have it set to, post it here and I can go into the same setting and see what mine is.

Sorry I'm not stopping by the thread much but can check it Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #22
thataverageguymike
Rep

I appreciate the help - here's what I see from my end. In the settings menu hidden by code 3368 there's this "Car Model" menu that lists a bunch of different CANBUS adapters... when I first started up my head unit this field was null. I've tried a bunch of different ones and nothing seems to work. From here I assume if you choose the right one you can then launch the "Controls" app that lists all the different functions and allows you to map them to the steering wheel controls.

Also attached are the CANBUS box that's plugged into the wiring harnesses and the "About" menu that shows a CAN Version of "Unknown". Not really sure where to go from here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1