BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
wetzelgw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Rear Seal Leak

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've tried searching for the past hour or so and haven't had luck finding the answers I'm looking for.

I bought a 2009 135i MT with 65k miles about 3 months ago. I took it to an indy for a PPI, and they came back with a few things, nothing enough to deter purchase. I brought it back to them to replace the leaking OFHG seal, as well as do a walnut shell blast. They also put some dye in the oil to see if there were any additional leaks. About 6 weeks go by and I bring it back to the indy to mount some new tires and check the oil dyes. Prior to replacing the OFHG I did notice some oil on the ground, but haven't seen any since, so I wasn't expecting anything to come from the oil dyes. Lo and behold, the indy calls me up and not only do I have a rear seal leak, it's a 10 hour repair and it will run me $1300.

Searching hasn't come back with many hits, so I can't get a good feel for this, and I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me answer these questions:
- I saw a post on N54tech say they got an estimate of $650...don't know their location, but I'm in the Chicago suburbs. Is 10 hrs/$1300 a reasonable time/price estimate?
- I've seen lots about oil leaking from the OFHG and the Valve Cover, but almost nothing on this. How common is a leaking rear seal on the N54?
- I'm ok with a wrench, but don't have the time/space/tools to tackle something like this on my own. My indy said it's 'leaking a fair amount', but I haven't seen anything on the garage floor, or had to add any oil. How urgent is this repair?

Thank you,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40644
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
justin4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i white

I'm at 68k and my mechanic noticed mine was leaking as well. He adviced me when I was ready for the service to replace the flywheel and transmission as well since they have to drop the transmission. You might want to look into that as well so you can save some money on labor in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Mine leaked last year and ruined my clutch. I was lucky BMW went 50/50 with me on the repair since I was out of warranty.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

If its not leaking that badly... I would wait. Your gonna need to replace the clutch when you do this job. Or you will be back there again(sooner rather than later). You might also want to replace the flywheel or at least resurface it - when you do this job.

A rear crankshaft seal seems to be kind of common. Especially on 1M's for some reason. Also this bad seal can cause some weird fluttering noises when the AC is on and the revs fall from 2,500 to 1,700 rpms.

good luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
Trptguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '87 BMW 325ic, '08 BMW 135i

mine has a small leak as well. Since I am at 150k i know that my clutch will be done by the end of the summer, figure I will get it done then.
Appreciate 0